Remotes for K20D


User_removed

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 06:10
Hi all,
I am looking for some "hands on" advice regarding buying an infra red remote for my recently purchased new K20D. There seem to be 2 models made by Pentax, the E and the F. Do they both work with the K20D and if so which is the best to get? They both show a range of 5 mteters. How accurate is this?

Thanks

Anstonian

aliengrove

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 07:16
The E remote is not compatible with your camera according to Bristol Cameras, who sell them. I have one of these link for my K7 which works very well, gives you focusing and shutter release or just shutter release. I got mine for about £8 but can't remember where unfortunately.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

flossie

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 07:58
F Remote clone - £2.61 delivered from hong kong. I got one, can't fault it. (can fault Pentax for not putting a receiver on the back, though!)
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

PeteL

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 08:14
I have the remote F which i keep with my spare memory cards and takes up very little space. But my favourite is thislink The Seculine Twin 1 R3 which can be used both as a cable release or as an Infra Red release with a range of 50 metres with Pentax and Nikon Camera`s and 25 metres with Canon.
Regards - Pete

Hardgravity

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 08:18
OK let me get this straight, the Pentax remote E DOES work with DSLRs, mine was bought for use with an Optio550z and is still in use with my K200d.

The second button does nothing on DSLRs but it is an alternative if the price is right.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 02/05/2010 - 08:18

User_removed

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 09:26
PeteL wrote:
I have the remote F which i keep with my spare memory cards and takes up very little space. But my favourite is thislink The Seculine Twin 1 R3 which can be used both as a cable release or as an Infra Red release with a range of 50 metres with Pentax and Nikon Camera`s and 25 metres with Canon.
Regards - Pete

Thanks for that Pete. This looks like agood option but can you please confirm that the seculine twin 1 R3 works with a K20D and does it also allow delayed shooting?

Thanks

Andrew

Gwyn

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 10:49
Flossie - the K20D does have a receiver on the back.

I have the remote F. The E will work too.

greynolds999

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 10:53
I bought a generic one from eBay for a fiver. Works with just about every camera on the market. Cheaper than the cost of a new battery!
My Photobucket

Hardgravity

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 12:20
greynolds999 wrote:
I bought a generic one from eBay for a fiver. Works with just about every camera on the market. Cheaper than the cost of a new battery!

I have a £1.99 one from ebay that lives in my travel pack.

Again it's a generic one and works perfectly. It's also cheaper to replace if I lose it (as I found out!).
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

polchraine

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 13:51
I too use the E - I have had it for 10 years or so with my MZ-S and still on the same battery! It works with *istD and K20D.

Provided you are very directional when using the remote you can get 8m or more.
.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...

felix

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 14:54
I am using a couple of Remotes from my old Hewlett-Packard Digicams from 1998 (618 & 912). Pentax used to make for HP and the remotes were kept in storage until I found them recently and the batteries still work (Amazing!).

Similar to the Pentax Remote F in desing.
K1/K3, DA*16-50mm F2.8, FA 31mm F1.8, FA43mm F1.9 Limited, FA77mm F1.8 Limited, SMC Pentax K 85mm F1.8, DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6, FA*28-70mm F1.8, FA*200mm F1.8

PeteL

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 17:14
Anstonian wrote:
PeteL wrote:
I have the remote F which i keep with my spare memory cards and takes up very little space. But my favourite is thislink The Seculine Twin 1 R3 which can be used both as a cable release or as an Infra Red release with a range of 50 metres with Pentax and Nikon Camera`s and 25 metres with Canon.
Regards - Pete

Thanks for that Pete. This looks like agood option but can you please confirm that the seculine twin 1 R3 works with a K20D and does it also allow delayed shooting?

Thanks

Andrew

Yes Andrew, I will work with Pentax, Nikon and Canon DSLR`s. I used it with my K10D and K7 so absolutely it will work with the K20D! And as for the delay you just select that in the camera menu. Here`s one with more info and a bit Cheaper too!link

Best Regards - Pete.
Last Edited by PeteL on 02/05/2010 - 17:35

User_removed

Link Posted 07/05/2010 - 20:24
PeteL wrote:
Anstonian wrote:
Quote:
I have the remote F which i keep with my spare memory cards and takes up very little space. But my favourite is thislink The Seculine Twin 1 R3 which can be used both as a cable release or as an Infra Red release with a range of 50 metres with Pentax and Nikon Camera`s and 25 metres with Canon.
Regards - Pete

Thanks for that Pete. This looks like agood option but can you please confirm that the seculine twin 1 R3 works with a K20D and does it also allow delayed shooting?

Thanks

Andrew

Yes Andrew, I will work with Pentax, Nikon and Canon DSLR`s. I used it with my K10D and K7 so absolutely it will work with the K20D! And as for the delay you just select that in the camera menu. Here`s one with more info and a bit Cheaper too!link

Best Regards - Pete.

Cheers Pete,
I have purchased the seculine and it looks and performs fine. Wierd battery size though. Just got to work out how to get it to auto focus and job done. Any ideas on this one.

Thanks again.
Andrew

womble

Link Posted 07/05/2010 - 21:45
Anstonian wrote:
Just got to work out how to get it to auto focus and job done. Any ideas on this one.

Thanks again.
Andrew

Somewhere in the guts of the menus there is an option of "allow AF with remote" (not sure of the wording, have a hunt through the menus).

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

robbie_d

Link Posted 07/05/2010 - 22:48
womble wrote:
Anstonian wrote:
Just got to work out how to get it to auto focus and job done. Any ideas on this one.

Thanks again.
Andrew

Somewhere in the guts of the menus there is an option of "allow AF with remote" (not sure of the wording, have a hunt through the menus).

K.

Spot on Kris, I think that might be the exact wording!

Basically means when you press the remote button it auto-focuses then releases the shutter. Quite useful really.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.