Red Door
Posted 26/11/2010 - 15:59
Link
Monty, In my opinion the third one is most promising but the converging verticals spoil it a bit (again, in my opinion). The trouble with architecture is the straight lines! I've had a go at sorting it out, but the scale may be "out" as a result.
[IMG]http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad116/ADC3440/Untitled-2.jpg[/IMG]
As for the others... well the same thing applies. They're a bit "wonky". It's not a great idea to cut off architave or capitals, it's a bit like cutting humans off at the knee!
I can see several potential shots in the red gate picture but I'd probably want to get in closer and concentrate on details or look for some oblique angle shots with some parts out of focus.
I hope you'll take my comments in a positive way, they are kindly ment and not intended to be disparaging or discouraging.
Oh, and I'm very jealous of that sunshine, strong light and lovely deep blue sky. Mrs C. and I have just walked back from town in a sleety snow-storm!
And you're kicking our backsides at cricket. Again.
[IMG]http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad116/ADC3440/Untitled-2.jpg[/IMG]
As for the others... well the same thing applies. They're a bit "wonky". It's not a great idea to cut off architave or capitals, it's a bit like cutting humans off at the knee!
I can see several potential shots in the red gate picture but I'd probably want to get in closer and concentrate on details or look for some oblique angle shots with some parts out of focus.
I hope you'll take my comments in a positive way, they are kindly ment and not intended to be disparaging or discouraging.
Oh, and I'm very jealous of that sunshine, strong light and lovely deep blue sky. Mrs C. and I have just walked back from town in a sleety snow-storm!
And you're kicking our backsides at cricket. Again.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 26/11/2010 - 17:22
Link
Thanks Andrew,it shows how much I know about the subject, spoke to a friend of a friend with the intention of straightening some of the shots.
There is a problem with ME, or the lens, or the camera, or the sunshine, it was imposible to get below f18 on some of the shots,if I did it wanted shutter speeds of 1/1250 iso 400, but will try to get some of them as you suggested, the problem could be not using the lens hood,the sun was 90 degrees to the lens at times,and this lens protrodes out a little
The cricket is even money, a toss of the coin would be a good way to predict the result.
thanks Andrew.
There is a problem with ME, or the lens, or the camera, or the sunshine, it was imposible to get below f18 on some of the shots,if I did it wanted shutter speeds of 1/1250 iso 400, but will try to get some of them as you suggested, the problem could be not using the lens hood,the sun was 90 degrees to the lens at times,and this lens protrodes out a little
The cricket is even money, a toss of the coin would be a good way to predict the result.
thanks Andrew.
K5iis,K7,KM, MG, Super A, MZ50.
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">
http://c759846.r46.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/black_link.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">
Posted 26/11/2010 - 18:45
Link
It's not anything to do with ISO or shutter speed or even aperture as these subjects aren't moving and you're standing square on to them. If you can then you need to hold the camera square on and level. A good example is the red gate. If you'd squatted down then the lens would have been in the middle of the subject and verticals would have been, well, vertical.
The long shots could have been solved by crossing the street and using zoom so the camera's not pointing upwards. If you can't do this then there is no other solution but to use software and distort the image but this will degrade it, inevitably.
You might do better to take the camera off program and use aperture priority then you could use 100 ISO and, say, f8 for good depth of field and maximum sharpness. There's no flare evident (at least on my monitor) so the sun is not a problem.
I'd go back and have another go at shooting exactly the same subjects, using the same lens.
The long shots could have been solved by crossing the street and using zoom so the camera's not pointing upwards. If you can't do this then there is no other solution but to use software and distort the image but this will degrade it, inevitably.
You might do better to take the camera off program and use aperture priority then you could use 100 ISO and, say, f8 for good depth of field and maximum sharpness. There's no flare evident (at least on my monitor) so the sun is not a problem.
I'd go back and have another go at shooting exactly the same subjects, using the same lens.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 26/11/2010 - 22:21
Link
I agree with Andrews comments, except that converging verticals can sometimes suit the subject, especially if you emphasise them by getting right unfer the bulding, there really is no right or wrong here and its all a matter of taste, the vertical will converge if you look at the building with the human eye so all your doing is reproducing that.
The only thing else I will add is:
First shot, I want to see all the door and not the litter on the step, pay attention to all corners of the viewfinder before pressing the shutter and watch for stuff like that, you could also very easily clone out that card someone has left.
PS Ditto on that blue sky, I was at a local RSPB reserve today and after a couple of hours had to come home and count my fingers and toes
The only thing else I will add is:
First shot, I want to see all the door and not the litter on the step, pay attention to all corners of the viewfinder before pressing the shutter and watch for stuff like that, you could also very easily clone out that card someone has left.
PS Ditto on that blue sky, I was at a local RSPB reserve today and after a couple of hours had to come home and count my fingers and toes
Posted 27/11/2010 - 02:27
Link
Andrew I was using apture or shutter priority, which should give me some control over DOF,I am going out using one lens all day this one hasn`t been used by me very much, only to see if it worked it might stay on the shelf.
Wednesday I went out with the 28 f2.8, in the rain, the verticals were better but photos were flat,in the future I will stick to longer focal lengths.
Dangermouse thanks for your comments.
Wednesday I went out with the 28 f2.8, in the rain, the verticals were better but photos were flat,in the future I will stick to longer focal lengths.
Dangermouse thanks for your comments.
K5iis,K7,KM, MG, Super A, MZ50.
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">
http://c759846.r46.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/black_link.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">
Posted 27/11/2010 - 08:19
Link
Monty,
I'm wondering - as everyone knows I'm no expert , just a beginner in all this but one phrase in your last pot has set my brain cell working.
You said
I'm wondering - as everyone knows I'm no expert , just a beginner in all this but one phrase in your last pot has set my brain cell working.
You said
Quote:
verticals were better but photos were flat,
Do you do any post processing work ?
verticals were better but photos were flat,
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 27/11/2010 - 11:06
Link
No Teckno I was using 28mm prime on a rainy day, these were taken with 18-35 at about 18-22 giving more distortion I guess.
K5iis,K7,KM, MG, Super A, MZ50.
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">
http://c759846.r46.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/black_link.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">
Posted 27/11/2010 - 12:07
Link
So what we see is exactly what you took - straight from the camera and no tweaking in Elements , Photoshop or Lightroom ?
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 27/11/2010 - 12:47
Link
Techno a little tweaking,but Only levels and sharpening, I was refering to the difference between the lenses,at 18mm the verticals look worse than at 28mm.
K5iis,K7,KM, MG, Super A, MZ50.
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">
http://c759846.r46.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/black_link.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


221 posts
16 years
adelaide
These were taken today at a Church in Adelaide which was built in 1880, it is heritige listed, we don`t have the history you`s have, so it is very old by our standards.
Used 18-35 on K7.
[IMG]http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab142/montyaus/architecture/church023a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab142/montyaus/architecture/church021a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab142/montyaus/architecture/church011a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab142/montyaus/architecture/church024a.jpg[/IMG]
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">