Recommended printers?

aliengrove

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 13:28
Just moved this as I realised it was in the wrong place...

I'm looking for a company that can print and ship high quality prints for me, with me ordering them from Qatar and having them shipped to the UK or abroad. I am looking for canvas, metal, and paper prints, and a lot of my images are unusual sizes, ie 40x20 inches being one of my most common, and a few more obscure crops. Ideally I'd like a company that will keep my high-res files on their server so I don't have to upload a file every time I order a print. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 13:59
Try Loxley in Glasgow... www.loxleycolour.com... They have a web based service with very quick turn around... Can print all sizes onto metal, canvas etc as well as standard prints... I've used them for quite a few years... Consistently high quality prints, and if you need to have a proper conversation to discuss specific requirements you can... Not sure if they can keep your files on their servers, but pretty sure they cld do everything else...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

aliengrove

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 15:30
Thanks Bill, I had a look at Loxley, they seem pretty expensive. They keep files for 3 mobths, which is better than not keeping them at all for my purposes. They don't do all the sizes I want but seem willing to discuss printing odd sizes, so I may go with them for metal and canvas prints.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 03/03/2013 - 15:31

Blythman

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 16:25
DSCL have a desktop order option, where you place the order via your local computer. On completion, the files are uploaded to their server.

You can save historic orders.

So,your order is saved on your desktop, which you can re-open. From there it should only take a few mouse clicks to place a subsequent order
Alan

PPG
Flickr

aliengrove

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 16:31
I already use DSCL for paper prints, didn't think they did metal or canvas? Will have another look.....
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

Blythman

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 16:51
mmm looking again Jon. The desktop order system doesn't offer Aluminium or canvas options
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Helpful

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 17:50
Hi Jon... Re metal prints, they recently did some 20 x 30s for me onto metal for an exhibition... They're one of the few places I found that print direct onto sheet aluminium, as opposed to dibond aluminium foam sandwich... Not cheap as you say, but look great... btw, they usually give introductory discounts for first time use of new media (up to 50%) as well as 20% off for exhibitions...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Helpful

aliengrove

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 18:04
Thanks, Bill, I've sent you a PM with a few questions, hope you don't mind
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

gartmore

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 18:56
Loxley are my local lab, well slightly less local since they moved within sight to be beside the Irn Bru refinery at Cumbernauld. I cannot praise their work highly enough. Every order has a Wow! factor.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Helpful

aliengrove

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 19:10
Thanks, Ken, I will give them a try, they certainly seem to get good reviews.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

gartmore

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 22:08
My only gripe is that the menu for selecting print sizes is a bit shambolic, sometimes it's hard to find obvious sizes like A3 but easy to find odd one like 3" x 24" or something. Having said that customer support on the phone is second to none.

The 'colour correct' option seems to be ticked by default. I usually clear it but there will have been times when I haven't without any ill-effects
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 03/03/2013 - 22:11

aliengrove

Link Posted 04/03/2013 - 11:07
Thanks, Ken, I will try out a few prints for myself and if they are as good as they sound I will get all my printing done by them.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

Blythman

Link Posted 04/03/2013 - 11:17
My understanding is that they are very good Jon. As are DSCL.

I've read that if you look at the same image from each, side by side, you will be able to tell the difference. But if you didn't have them side by side you may not be able to say which of the two processed it.

Being a cheapskate, I'm sticking with DSCL for now. They're good enough at 16x12 to satisfy judges at the camera club competitions

As to Ken's reference to the colour correction, Loxley will accept sample images from you (maybe 5, can't remember -it was in my initial welcom email). They'll process with and without colour correction, to let you see the difference. I think they are very confident in their ability to correct. Haven't taken them up on that yet
Alan

PPG
Flickr

gartmore

Link Posted 04/03/2013 - 12:01
This wont apply for aliengrove but the longest time I have had to wait for a standard print from upload to delivery is an astonishing 20 hours.
Ken

rparmar

Link Posted 04/03/2013 - 21:37
A while ago I tried about six of the best print shops and compared the results. Loxley won and were not the most expensive.

For mediocre printing at bargain basement prices, I use whatever local place has a machine.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.