Reasons not to buy a K5 ii s at 350

Mike-P

Link Posted 30/05/2015 - 07:48
Nor really, I have reserved items before and then cancelled them after having a change of mind.
. My Flickr

Daronl

Link Posted 30/05/2015 - 10:03
K5IIs; I am increasingly using my K5IIs In low light where it seems, in some lighting conditions, superior to the K3; having been shooting indoor court sports (no flash permitted) for an International Sports Village Gallery over the last few months, the K5IIs has become indispensable coupled with two 1.4 f prime lenses, for stopping the action in such sports as Basketball, volleyball, badminton etc (at court-side) and other indoor action sports such as marshall arts and fencing.

The gallery prints are typically 14 x 11 / 16 x12 with some larger specials so the quality has to be first class. I have produced almost 100 prints from both the the K3 and the K5IIs, which affords a good opportunity to compare both bodies on the same lenses.

I believe the K5IIs will become one of those classics of the future we often talk about like the ME Super with uncomplicated but very practical handling characteristics and just the right range and layout of useable functions.

I used to only carry it as a travel camera when I first bought it but now not so, it must be said however in outdoor events or where there is good ambient indoor lighting I reach for the K3 for that extra bit of resolution and performance.

However not taking anything away from the K3, the K5IIs is my favourite Pentax camera since the MeSuper/ SuperA film era cameras and the K10D in the digital era.

Check out the Orangutang portrait below taken using the K5IIS in Borneo in typical jungle light mounted with the wonderful 60 -250 DA* ; this will give you a good example of how this camera performs.

I almost sold it a little while back,having two K3 bodies, but sold one of those instead.

Jump at it for 350.

missmarple wrote:
I am considering picking upone of the K5 ii s from Jessops. Is there a better option at the moment. Is one of the newer cameras a better long term option.

Many thanks mm

Daronl

missmarple

Link Posted 30/05/2015 - 14:25
Thanks again for your replys.I drove in to Kingston and picked the camera up this morning. Many thanks to LochNess for bringing this deal to my attention. I am quite excited about this new camera and just hope I have time to play with it.

Kindest Regards mm

McGregNi

Link Posted 30/05/2015 - 15:12
Daron, that's a beautiful portrait ... You must have a really good camera .... Oh yes! ... I see you DO

Great lighting also. Is there a bit of fill-in flash as well? Just looks like it possibly with a couple of catch lights and nice balanced exposure ...?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Daronl

Link Posted 31/05/2015 - 05:28
The light is always a challenge in rainforest environments and flash is definately not appreciated if there are older Orangutans around but in this case the animal was high in the tree canopy above a feeding platform and as the high foliage was swaying there were brief instances when dappled sunlight penetrated a little which gave perfect balance to the light providing the Orangutan was near the top of the foliage.

The ambient light at ground level was very poor so I had to get fairly high up above them on a slope and got a bit more height on an adjacent Jambo tree which is one of the few trees in the forest with low level branches that you can climb.

I waited several hours each day around the time when the rangers put fruit on the feeding platform below but either the Orangutans didn't show up or i could't get the shots as they moved up higher in the canopy

Eventually I got several very nice shots on just one day as well as many "not so good shots" on other days.

The most pleasing thing though is not only the performance of the k5IIs but the IQ of the 60-250 DA* at wide open aperture (f4), fully extended to 250mm; it really says a lot about the Pentax glass and lens design.
Daronl
Last Edited by Daronl on 31/05/2015 - 05:36

McGregNi

Link Posted 31/05/2015 - 06:08
Well worth the wait then! It is great light that you got up there in those trees, and an excellent exposure.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Daronl

Link Posted 31/05/2015 - 11:26
Thanks Greg, I always say shots like this are really about Luck and Light once you are in position with some decent equipment in your hands.

By the way I am reaching for my flashes more often and where I wouldn't normally, now I have ingested your guide fully.

It really makes it very simple to get optimal results in not so simple situation .

Thanks for that
Daronl
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.