Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

RAW processing

3Peaks
Posted 14/12/2011 - 16:42 Link
Any advice out there for using the PDCU supplied software for processing RAW files for someone like me, who does not use or owns any Adobe software ? Thanks in advance.

Bodies: K-5, MX
Lens: DA 18-135mm ED AL IF DC WR
F 300mm ED IF F4.5
M 24-35mm F3.5, M 40-80MM F2.8, M 200mm F4
3Peaks
Posted 14/12/2011 - 22:47 Link
Sorry for not making clear what I need - I am trying to come to terms with the PDCU software so that I can process RAW files efficiently. I was just wondering from the experts out there, if there is a prescribed workflow method that one should use ?
3Peaks
Posted 15/12/2011 - 23:15 Link
No headway on this thread to date, so is the reason because everyone in this Pentax forum do not use the supplied PDCU software to process and manipulate raw files ?
japers45
Posted 15/12/2011 - 23:27 Link
Yes I think that maybe the case. I use adobe Lightroom- it is a phenomenal piece of software and it's RAW editing capabilities are fantastic.

I believe there is a thread on here dedicated to the Silkypix software that comprises Pentax Camera Utility.
3Peaks
Posted 15/12/2011 - 23:43 Link
japers45 wrote:
Yes I think that maybe the case. I use adobe Lightroom- it is a phenomenal piece of software and it's RAW editing capabilities are fantastic.

I believe there is a thread on here dedicated to the Silkypix software that comprises Pentax Camera Utility.

Many thanks for the reply confirming my suspions about the PDCU software and I'll do a search for the thread you suggested. I've not given up using PDCU, although it is not self evident in how it should be used effectively. Its still early days so by continually using its features I will hopefully get a better understanding of its software capabilities. Of course if I could get my hands on a 'free' copy of Lightroom I would be able to confirm your praises of it.
Transit
Posted 16/12/2011 - 03:13 Link
Rather than pour $ down Adobes gaping maw, you could check out Raw Therapee.
A free converter that is extremely well featured.
http://rawtherapee.com/blog/screenshots

have fun
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
giofi
Posted 16/12/2011 - 06:50 Link
Hi, are you a Windows or Mac user? On Mac Aperture is a very good alternative, and very reasonably priced.
Tony
Posted 16/12/2011 - 12:37 Link
I don't know what PDCU is, perhaps others also don't? I never open the software CDs supplied with digital cameras. I switched from Adobe RAW developers to Silkypix a few years ago because the quality at that time was so much better that Adobe's offerings. I now use Silkypix Pro with Pentax and Sony cameras. Bibble is also said to be very good and there are several others.

I thought a version of Silkypix was delivered with the K5. If this is the case you could search the web for "Silkypix Tutorials".
FAT8BIKER
Posted 16/12/2011 - 13:40 Link
3Peaks wrote:
Any advice out there for using the PDCU supplied software for processing RAW files for someone like me, who does not use or owns any Adobe software ? Thanks in advance.

Bodies: K-5, MX
Lens: DA 18-135mm ED AL IF DC WR
F 300mm ED IF F4.5
M 24-35mm F3.5, M 40-80MM F2.8, M 200mm F4

Goole PDCU software lots of stuff on there.
Best of luck
Dave
mille19
Posted 16/12/2011 - 15:08 Link
Lightroom 3 is the one for me, it takes some getting used to but once you get a workflow sorted it's an excellent piece of software, but a bit expensive.
Pentaxophile
Posted 16/12/2011 - 15:14 Link
LR3 is great!!!! It is obscenely expensive though IMHO... especially given that many of the alternatives are free! But it's so good, it's well worth exploring all avenues of getting it cheaper. The best (non-criminal :wink way seems to be obtaining a student license... you could enroll on a free course which was eligible, or if you have any students in the family you can ask them to apply for you...

In the meantime, download a trial from their website.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 16/12/2011 - 15:17
Gwyn
Posted 16/12/2011 - 15:17 Link
Bibble and Capture One are both excellent RAW converters. Bibble is blindingly fast.
Both take a bit of working out though. You can download trial versions for free on their websites, which also contain tutorials and tips.

I assume PaintShopPro also has a RAW converter included in the package.

In the Adobe corner there is of course Photoshop, plus Photoshop Elements, and Lightroom.
Just getting to grips with Lightroom 3 myself, - it still uses Adobe Camera RAW though which is a bit of a downside.
Adobe Photoshop Elements is a lot cheaper than full PS, and does most things you would want.
AndrewA
Posted 16/12/2011 - 19:35 Link
I dont use the Pentax software and use Photoshop Elements.

If you are interested I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 6 for sale in the classifieds.I have upgraded to a later version so no longer need the one I have for sale.

This is a link to the classifieds: link
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
Edited by AndrewA: 16/12/2011 - 19:36
Still27
Posted 16/12/2011 - 19:52 Link
I find Elements 9 well worth the £50-£70, Elements 6 and was really good value too If I was you I would snap up the offer above.
Bill
K5+Bigma+BushHawk Shoulderpod.
K5+16-50DA* + 10-17DA Fisheye + 50-135DA* + Sigma 70mm Macro + DA35 2.4..
Slik Pro 700DX tripod.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixellie/
Joe S
Posted 16/12/2011 - 20:10 Link
If it is any help I used Silkypix until recently and PDCU is a poor Pentax implementation of that. Most features are the same - Pentax introduced some software bugs and a clunky interface I don't know if it is worth it, but the manual to Silkypix might be a place to start.
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.