Rapid advice needed please!
Posted 24/04/2008 - 22:15
Link
Quote:
My feeling is that nothing in the photograph should compete with the three subjects - agreed?
Therefore, I'm thinking tight crop shallow depth of field to get the sandstone walls out of focus. Also I'm thinking they'll need to be close together to make the most of 'them' rather than space around them.
How the hell can I include their instruments which they reasonably wish to include without taking up loads of space and introducing dead space? I was thinking it would be OK to have just the necks of the instruments in shot as that will show enough of them to say what they are while not spreading everything out too much.
I know I'm going on a bit here but I need help. Shots taken where the body is not at an angle tends to be unflattering for ladies so I was thinking that having Rod central and the ladies at an angle would probably be most effective? Or all three in a row at an angle?
I’m hoping for indirect but bright light – no reflectors available and no flash either on natural light.
Final problem the ladies want to wear pink tops – this is surely kiss of death.
Now I’m hoping for collective advice.
Many thanks in advance.
Mike
Sounds like you've answered most of your own questions - stick with your gut instinct. You could manage some full length shots if the background isn't distracting... I've always found musicians look best in black (not Pink!!!), lends a slightly classy air and might reproduce better if the festival prog is B&W...
My feeling is that nothing in the photograph should compete with the three subjects - agreed?
Therefore, I'm thinking tight crop shallow depth of field to get the sandstone walls out of focus. Also I'm thinking they'll need to be close together to make the most of 'them' rather than space around them.
How the hell can I include their instruments which they reasonably wish to include without taking up loads of space and introducing dead space? I was thinking it would be OK to have just the necks of the instruments in shot as that will show enough of them to say what they are while not spreading everything out too much.
I know I'm going on a bit here but I need help. Shots taken where the body is not at an angle tends to be unflattering for ladies so I was thinking that having Rod central and the ladies at an angle would probably be most effective? Or all three in a row at an angle?
I’m hoping for indirect but bright light – no reflectors available and no flash either on natural light.
Final problem the ladies want to wear pink tops – this is surely kiss of death.
Now I’m hoping for collective advice.
Many thanks in advance.
Mike
Spirit_of_will
Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit
WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com
Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit
WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com
Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Posted 24/04/2008 - 22:19
Link
Thanks for the encouragement - they want to avoid the heavy formal look of black as I understand it. I am suggetsing we do the pink and they either take a change of top or a cover up. Rod will be in sober colours I'm sure, he is after all 67! He has had a wonderful career and taught hollywood actors sufficient guitar technique so they could seem to play on film.
Mike
Mike
Posted 24/04/2008 - 22:26
Link
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement - they want to avoid the heavy formal look of black as I understand it. I am suggetsing we do the pink and they either take a change of top or a cover up. Rod will be in sober colours I'm sure, he is after all 67! He has had a wonderful career and taught hollywood actors sufficient guitar technique so they could seem to play on film.
Mike
Clearly they know what they want Mike! Not sure pink works all that well with a stone church wall... Thanks for the encouragement - they want to avoid the heavy formal look of black as I understand it. I am suggetsing we do the pink and they either take a change of top or a cover up. Rod will be in sober colours I'm sure, he is after all 67! He has had a wonderful career and taught hollywood actors sufficient guitar technique so they could seem to play on film.
Mike
Go for it and see how you get on - what's the worse that could happen?
Spirit_of_will
Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit
WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com
Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit
WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com
Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Posted 25/04/2008 - 06:58
Link
It's the pink against skin tones and trying to keep what may be a 'striking' pink under control while getting some life into the rest of the shot that worries me.
As you say what's the worst that can happen? So long as I get some competent shots I can't really lose I guess.
Mike
As you say what's the worst that can happen? So long as I get some competent shots I can't really lose I guess.
Mike
Posted 25/04/2008 - 08:28
Link
I like to make it clear to people in these situations that, while I am willing to do what I can, I am not a pro photographer and people are not my subject of choice as an amateur.
With the bar set thus people are generally pleased with the result, they aren't expecting the world. I don't know your level of expertise, but since you are posting this I'm guessing you are no pro either, some management of their expectations will do wonders.
good luck
With the bar set thus people are generally pleased with the result, they aren't expecting the world. I don't know your level of expertise, but since you are posting this I'm guessing you are no pro either, some management of their expectations will do wonders.
good luck
you don't have to be mad to post here
but it does help
but it does help
Posted 25/04/2008 - 08:40
Link
I am a total amateur but the trouble is my wife has a touching faith in my abilities and can recall how committed and competent I was 30+ years ago! I am only returning now after a break of 25 years and digital is all new to me.
I shall aim for competent and be pleased if I do better. A lot depends on the weather, just what their fallback plan is if it rains I don't know although they are rehearsing all afternoon so we can grab what we can when we can.
Mike
I shall aim for competent and be pleased if I do better. A lot depends on the weather, just what their fallback plan is if it rains I don't know although they are rehearsing all afternoon so we can grab what we can when we can.
Mike
Posted 25/04/2008 - 08:47
Link
Good luck mike. just one thought if this isn't too late - if the pink doesn't work in colour try converting to mono. It might be worth making sure when you are taking the photos that there is a reasonable contrast between the clothing and the background.
Steve
Steve
Posted 25/04/2008 - 08:51
Link
Quote:
I am a total amateur but the trouble is my wife has a touching faith in my abilities and can recall how committed and competent I was 30+ years ago! I am only returning now after a break of 25 years and digital is all new to me.
My break wasn't quite as long as yours, but I went from film (ME Super) to digital (K10D) a little over a year ago.I am a total amateur but the trouble is my wife has a touching faith in my abilities and can recall how committed and competent I was 30+ years ago! I am only returning now after a break of 25 years and digital is all new to me.
One thing caught me by surprise regarding exposure. In my film days I used to zoom in (or get very close if I was using a prime) to effectively spot meter on the part of the frame I was interested in.
This worked very well for backlit subjects.
With digital, I find this approach tends to overexpose the background so much that it can easily ruin the whole shot, and I have to compensate for that more than I used to have to with film (boosting the shadow areas on the computer where necessary, for instance).
If you have a wall behind them, this may well not be a specific problem for you, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Good luck anyway.
Posted 25/04/2008 - 08:53
Link
Steve that is a thought but I think they want colour all the way - although I must check if it will be colour in the programme. If it isn't then I think I'll do the B&W conversion for as you say you don't want the pink disappearing into the background.
I guess I'll be able to tone down any really bright pinks in photoshop but I'd rather not have to. If that gets too tricky I'll send it to my son to deal with!
Thanks
Mike
I guess I'll be able to tone down any really bright pinks in photoshop but I'd rather not have to. If that gets too tricky I'll send it to my son to deal with!
Thanks
Mike
Posted 25/04/2008 - 09:01
Link
Thanks Chris, the rules for digital do seem to be work more with the highlights than the shadows as you can always recover something from them while a blown white is gone forever.
I hope that won't be a problem but thanks for the heads up!
So far rather grey and overcast, we need a little lift in the light!
Mike
I hope that won't be a problem but thanks for the heads up!
So far rather grey and overcast, we need a little lift in the light!
Mike
Posted 26/04/2008 - 10:54
Link
Posted 26/04/2008 - 11:01
Link
You did a fine job Mike, they should be happy with that shot.
Just go for a tighter crop to get rid of the pipe in his head. :
Well done
Just go for a tighter crop to get rid of the pipe in his head. :
Well done
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 26/04/2008 - 12:33
Link
Thanks for the kind words Clarky. The bimbo in the middle spent most of the time looking anywhere other than the camera - makes a fine cake though.
I have about another 10 which are possibles as well. What I bitterly regret is letting my wife wear that white top which has burnt out in some shots.
Mike
I have about another 10 which are possibles as well. What I bitterly regret is letting my wife wear that white top which has burnt out in some shots.
Mike
Posted 26/04/2008 - 13:03
Link
Great job. Well done.
G
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



3241 posts
18 years
Worcestershire
This is two ladies and one man all over 50 who play violin, viola and guitar. They want the photos taken outside at the local ruined church as it has some very nice stonework they can pose against. There was some talk of using a very fussy arch with trailing plants but I am trying to veto this.
This is not playing to my strengths!
The photograph is for inclusion in a programme for a local festival - so that won't be big and also for their web site where again the photograph won't be big.
My feeling is that nothing in the photograph should compete with the three subjects - agreed?
Therefore, I'm thinking tight crop shallow depth of field to get the sandstone walls out of focus. Also I'm thinking they'll need to be close together to make the most of 'them' rather than space around them.
How the hell can I include their instruments which they reasonably wish to include without taking up loads of space and introducing dead space? I was thinking it would be OK to have just the necks of the instruments in shot as that will show enough of them to say what they are while not spreading everything out too much.
I know I'm going on a bit here but I need help. Shots taken where the body is not at an angle tends to be unflattering for ladies so I was thinking that having Rod central and the ladies at an angle would probably be most effective? Or all three in a row at an angle?
I’m hoping for indirect but bright light – no reflectors available and no flash either on natural light.
Final problem the ladies want to wear pink tops – this is surely kiss of death.
Now I’m hoping for collective advice.
Many thanks in advance.
Mike