rain dance
Posted 17/12/2014 - 08:27
Link
A really good choice to use the HSS here, which has given you perfect exposures on the subjects. You're right on with the action and the enjoyment comes through nicely. I'd suggest an even faster shutter time, maybe another 1 or 1.5 stops just to pull down the brightness of that sky more.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 17/12/2014 - 08:31
Link
Thanks Nigel, the advice and idea was yours in the first place, I read your tutorial on sync flash.
C&C welcome.
Don.
Don.
Posted 17/12/2014 - 09:09
Link
E That's great, I'm so pleased to see it put into practical action! The HSS feature is an excellent tool, well done with a very nice use of it!
Regarding time values, as the duration get less and less (eg 1/500 - 1/1000 - 1/2000 etc etc) there is effectively a progressive power loss, as the ' continuous' type of flash light has less and less time to fall onto the subject, so available distances reduce quite significantly. This will be indicated on the range scale on the flash LCD screen. But most HSS work is usually portrait style, fairly close to the subject, so I've found its still powerful enough up to 1/4000 sec with a wide aperture also.
Anyway, thanks for showing us some more great examples of HSS flash! I'm sure the family all loved it. Ha, and as well, if I can demonstrate that I need a new piece of gear in order to take better shots of the KIDS, well, that tends to smooth the way for the purchase with the boss ...
Regarding time values, as the duration get less and less (eg 1/500 - 1/1000 - 1/2000 etc etc) there is effectively a progressive power loss, as the ' continuous' type of flash light has less and less time to fall onto the subject, so available distances reduce quite significantly. This will be indicated on the range scale on the flash LCD screen. But most HSS work is usually portrait style, fairly close to the subject, so I've found its still powerful enough up to 1/4000 sec with a wide aperture also.
Anyway, thanks for showing us some more great examples of HSS flash! I'm sure the family all loved it. Ha, and as well, if I can demonstrate that I need a new piece of gear in order to take better shots of the KIDS, well, that tends to smooth the way for the purchase with the boss ...
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 17/12/2014 - 09:25
Link
Those photos gave me a lump in the throat. I remember my kids at that age jumping on the trampoline. How i miss the kids being that young and playful. I hasten to add that i love them as teens as well.
Great photos, beautifully exposed. And a great moment captured well. My wife would be ecstatic if i captured images like this rather than landscapes. I think it would open the door for me to buy more kit.
Great photos, beautifully exposed. And a great moment captured well. My wife would be ecstatic if i captured images like this rather than landscapes. I think it would open the door for me to buy more kit.
Posted 17/12/2014 - 09:43
Link
Thanks Russ it gets better when you have grand-kids( like these) as we can hand them back although living on the same property makes that hard sometimes!
C&C welcome.
Don.
Don.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2931 posts
18 years
Atherton tablelands,
NQ
used the plastic 35mm 1.2 for these and some sync flash.
They were having heaps of fun anyway but got a bit hot in the 35c heat.
Don.