Radio Flash transmitters and receivers

beakynet
Posted 29/07/2009 - 13:10 Link
I am looking for a good, but reasonably priced, hotshoe mounted radio transmitter with hotshoe based receiver (I will need two receivers), or possibly a PC based vesion that connects to a hotshoe adapter in case I upgrade to studio lights at some point in time. I would like the receivers to be reasonably compact.

Does anybody have any suggestions and experience with these?
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
MattMatic
Posted 29/07/2009 - 13:58 - Helpful Comment Link
These little YongNuo transmitter and receivers are nice. You can get deals with 1, 2, or 3 receivers.

A friend of mine bought a set of 1Tx + 3Rx. Had a quick go on the K20D + AF540, but the AF540 wouldn't sync properly above about 1/30s If I used his Canon 580EX or the Metz 50MZ5 then it was fine up to 1/180s. I hasten to add that it was a VERY quick go and there may be something confusing the AF540 - my guess was that the extra dedicated pin on the AF540 was shorting to ground on the hotshoe (a common problem alas)

That said, the units were extremely good - very compact, and easy to use.
I was very tempted to just get a set anyway

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
beakynet
Posted 29/07/2009 - 15:45 Link
Thanks Matt, I will take a look at these, I have Metz (58 and 4 flash guns anyway.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
MattMatic
Posted 29/07/2009 - 19:11 Link
I hasten to add that it was the Metz with the Canon head though
Haven't tried my Metz (yet)... still, it's not a huge amount of money
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
peter.wood
Posted 30/07/2009 - 18:39 Link
I have been using the cheap triggers from ebay for a while, I have just bought a new set of PT-04CN, the type i bought also have a holder for a umbrella.

the old type I have were OK but not as good as the newer type, but I must say that both of them are'nt very robust so if used a lot won't last long, 6 months to a year and they become less reliable.

the PT-04 trigers work with the af540 and mine all sync to 180/s but my sigma 530super(I think thats right) will only sync to 125/s, not sure why.
I think any of them are worth the money but don't expect good range with them, 10m max
so far my pt-04's are 100% reliable but give it 3 months and I'm sure that will change
Pete
K20d,16-50da*,50-135da*,af540fgz

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo