Quick K-5 Firmware Question
Posted 23/10/2012 - 13:34
Link
V1.03 is the one I'm on...
The UK Pentax site also has firmware listed for the K5 Limited Silver but I don't know what thats about (as I had assumed the silver body had the same camera inside?)
The UK Pentax site also has firmware listed for the K5 Limited Silver but I don't know what thats about (as I had assumed the silver body had the same camera inside?)
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Posted 23/10/2012 - 14:38
Link
I feel that it's always worthwhile upgrading firmware to the most current version. These updates are designed to eliminate any "faults" that were inherent in the original firmware, much like the updates that Microsoft, etc release to patch security flaws, improve program speed, memory issues, etc.
Generally, these firmware upgrades are cumulative, so the latest version will not only have GPS performance improvements, but the other firmware updates too.
Generally, these firmware upgrades are cumulative, so the latest version will not only have GPS performance improvements, but the other firmware updates too.
Posted 23/10/2012 - 14:41
Link
I think the latest updates include all previous updates
K5iis and a couple of lenses.
Posted 23/10/2012 - 16:34
Link
Thanks everyone. Will upgrade firmware tonight to latest version.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Posted 24/10/2012 - 01:29
Link
I think it would be wise, after an update is released, to wait and let other people do the update first and see what they think. I have had quite often problem with software updates, when the update introduces new bugs. maybe I am to carefull, but I had problems before.
Of course if everyone would do the above, no updates would ever be downloaded. This is the negative part.
Regards, Horst
Of course if everyone would do the above, no updates would ever be downloaded. This is the negative part.
Regards, Horst
Posted 24/10/2012 - 10:27
Link
I'll let you know. I updated last night...!!
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Posted 25/10/2012 - 02:15
Link
Horst wrote:
I think it would be wise, after an update is released, to wait and let other people do the update first and see what they think. I have had quite often problem with software updates, when the update introduces new bugs. maybe I am to carefull, but I had problems before.
Of course if everyone would do the above, no updates would ever be downloaded. This is the negative part.
Regards, Horst
Wise words. Updates can and do introduce new problems from time to time. I'm still on 1.03. Simply because the later versions are for compatibility with the GPS attachment which I don't have. Everything works so pointless updating
I think it would be wise, after an update is released, to wait and let other people do the update first and see what they think. I have had quite often problem with software updates, when the update introduces new bugs. maybe I am to carefull, but I had problems before.
Of course if everyone would do the above, no updates would ever be downloaded. This is the negative part.
Regards, Horst
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 25/10/2012 - 16:50
Link
Mannesty wrote:
I always update to the latest firmware simply because we are not always told the whole truth. Whilst a list of changes usually accompanies an update, there are sometimes other changes in an update that are not listed.
Such as?
I always update to the latest firmware simply because we are not always told the whole truth. Whilst a list of changes usually accompanies an update, there are sometimes other changes in an update that are not listed.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 25/10/2012 - 16:54
Link
Here's one for the Q.
•Correspond to [Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses]. How to input focal length Click here
•Correspond to [PENTAX-06 TELEPHOTO ZOOM]
•Improved stability for general performance.
*Contents of [Version 1.01] will be also updated.
No mention of the addition of focus peaking
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/q_s.html
•Correspond to [Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses]. How to input focal length Click here
•Correspond to [PENTAX-06 TELEPHOTO ZOOM]
•Improved stability for general performance.
*Contents of [Version 1.01] will be also updated.
No mention of the addition of focus peaking
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/q_s.html
Posted 25/10/2012 - 17:30
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
I can't remember exactly which model or firmware version, but some users noticed an increase in AF performance after a firmware upgrade to their cameras where AF performance was not listed in the improvements.Mannesty wrote:
I always update to the latest firmware simply because we are not always told the whole truth. Whilst a list of changes usually accompanies an update, there are sometimes other changes in an update that are not listed.
Such as?I always update to the latest firmware simply because we are not always told the whole truth. Whilst a list of changes usually accompanies an update, there are sometimes other changes in an update that are not listed.
It's not unheard of for manufacturers to slip in corrections to software/firmware without telling us what the correction is or what it does. Adobe Lightroom updates always have the catchall phrase in their software updates, something like " . . . includes other corrections and bug fixes not listed above" or words to that effect.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 25/10/2012 - 17:52
Link
Additions to the lens and SDHC cards databases are two items
that don't get listed.
that don't get listed.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


416 posts
20 years
Staffordshire,
England
My K-5 still has firmware version 1.01, the version it came with. I wish to improve the K-5's low light auto focus performance which was done in V1.03. I think the current version is V1.13 but from what I can see following versions improved GPS performance of which I have no interest. Is it always worth upgrading to the latest firmware or should I install V1.03 if this is still available?