Question regarding the MZ-S

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 18/09/2013 - 21:30
Does the very well made MZ-S suffer the problem of lesser MZ bodies where the plastic cogs for the mirror return split? Or are they made of metal?
Some Cameras

johnriley

Link Posted 18/09/2013 - 23:07
You might be better to phone one of the repair houses and enquire. harrow Technical and Asahi Photo spring to mind as obvious choices.
Best regards, John

fritzthedog

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 08:10
This is about the age of the camera rather than the model.

The issue you describe was very common on early models in the MZ range - mainly the 10, 30, 50 and 5. Pentax then replaced the weak plastic cog with a larger tougher plastic one which I believe they used on the M, 5n and 7.

They then eventually gave up on plastic and changed it to brass.

I am not certain but I think the brass ones were used on the 3, 6 and S.

I have been a fan of this range for years and have owned several examples of every model. I have never had the problem with either a 6 or S nor have I seen any reported, whereas I have personally had the problem with examples of every other model - the latest being a 5 that died last week.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 09:28
Not good news- I was given a 1996 MZ-5 and took it to the Philippines for 5 weeks - no trouble -- ( YET!! )
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

fritzthedog

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 12:24
Peter Elgar wrote:
Not good news- I was given a 1996 MZ-5 and took it to the Philippines for 5 weeks - no trouble -- ( YET!! )

I would not be too worried - it is the only 5 I have ever had go and was a heavily used model. They are so cheap to replace now in any case but as I prefer the 5n - probably will not bother.

The 50 is without any doubt by far the worst in my experience - I have had 7 of these die on me and although I still own 3 - I do not trust any of them!

Carl

Mongoose

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 13:27
just in the interest of completeness Carl, where does the 60 fall in your run down of models above?

I had a 50 for a while a few years ago and must admit I found it quite disapointing, ended up replacing it with a z-50p
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

fritzthedog

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 13:49
Now you mention it - I have not know this happen to a 60 either. That said, although I own one - it has hardly been used as I have always disliked it - especially the silly little rubber buttons.

Carl

Hardgravity

Link Posted 25/09/2013 - 08:00
fritzthedog wrote:
Now you mention it - I have not know this happen to a 60 either. That said, although I own one - it has hardly been used as I have always disliked it - especially the silly little rubber buttons.

Carl

Agree fully on the 60 Carl, I picked one up a while back but can't be bothered using it because of the buttons.

As for failures, so far a 7, 50 and 5. although, to be fair, the 5 was a complete dog from a charity shop (the 7 does have the bad plastic cog)

I keep saying my favorite MZ is the 6, fully usable with DA lenses, infact my 40mm goes on it regularly.

Back to the original question, no idea but would love a play with a MZ-S
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.