Question about Tele converters ???

Charlotte
Posted 27/07/2011 - 13:43 Link
Hi all,

Could some kind soul explain to me the diference between a 2 x tele converter and a 2 x tele converter optical zoom macro 1:1 please.

Is it simply as it seems that the macro one magnifies more ?

Sorry to be a thicko

MPany thanks

Charlotte
thoughton
Posted 27/07/2011 - 13:49 Link
The 2x macro TC can be used as a normal 2x TC if you wish. But it also has a variable length extension tube built-in.

The ones I'm familiar with (Kenko and Vivitar) are intended to be used with a 50mm lens, which at maximum extension will give you a 100mm 1:1 macro lens. The image quality is pretty good, probably better than some (most?) close-up filters, but not as good as a 'real' macro lens. You can use them with any lens though, it doesn't have to be a 50.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 27/07/2011 - 13:50
Charlotte
Posted 27/07/2011 - 13:55 Link
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

I have a vivitar 55mm Macro lens 1:1 which I use sometimes with an ordinary 2 x or 3 x converter.

If I used a 2 x tele converter optical zoom macro 1:1 with my lens, would that give me more detailed macro pictures than an ordinary teleconver ?

I'm very grateful for your help,

Kind regards

Charlotte
thoughton
Posted 27/07/2011 - 13:58 Link
Yes it will, although I don't know how much extra magnification it would give you A lot, I think! I'm sure someone here will know how to calculate it...
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Charlotte
Posted 27/07/2011 - 14:13 Link
Thank you Tim,

I was hoping you were going to say that. I've now bought one off ebay - God knows what hubby's going to say though, he doesn't understand why I need more than one lens, let alone teleconverters.

Now I need to read up on magnification calculations - and I suppose I'll need a spotlight of some kind.

Thanks again,

Kind regards

Charlotte


Oh and if anyone else is interested in one the ebay seller had two up for sale before I bought one.
Mike-P
Posted 27/07/2011 - 17:04 Link
I had one of these with the A mount contacts.
Last week I decided to dismantle it and take out the glass (teleconverter part) which just left me with a variable length extension tube.

My DIY skills are such that in the end the whole lot ended up in the bin ... and now I find they fetch £70 a pop on Ebay.
Charlotte
Posted 27/07/2011 - 18:59 Link
Hi Mike,

You should have tried ebay first - there's always a mug like me willing to empty their bank account.

I picked up the 3 x converter a couple of weeks ago for £14.00 though, and it's fantastic, so I can't complain if I've paid over the odds for this one.

This Macro photography has become addictive

Kind regards

Charlotte
Charlotte
Posted 01/08/2011 - 18:41 Link
Well it arrived today and I think I'm going to have fun with it. It's much lighter than the 3x converter.

First couple of shots - not brilliant it's going to take a bit of getting used to and I need to fashion some sort of tripod.

Colorado Beetle;

[IMG]http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/char_photos/IMGP21afjpg_255-1.jpg[/IMG]


I know the only thing in focus is the creatures eye - but more importantly I have got the macro lens' bokeh back which I lost with the normal converters.

[IMG]http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/char_photos/IMGP21afjpg_256-1.jpg[/IMG]

So thank you for your help.

Kind regards
Charlotte
coker
Posted 01/08/2011 - 19:26 Link
No. 1's very colourful, Charlotte, but aren't you meant to inform the Min. of Ag. & Fish. (or the police!) if you find one of these?!
(Or is it just those primary school posters I'm remembering......?)

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Charlotte
Posted 01/08/2011 - 19:32 Link
Hi Roger,

In the UK if you find one you have to report it to the authorities.

I live in France and they are common over here - mores the pity. They are very pretty but they can wipe out your spuds very quickly.

Kind regards

Charlotte
Dangermouse
Posted 01/08/2011 - 23:24 Link
Mike-P wrote:
I had one of these with the A mount contacts.
Last week I decided to dismantle it and take out the glass (teleconverter part) which just left me with a variable length extension tube.

My DIY skills are such that in the end the whole lot ended up in the bin ... and now I find they fetch £70 a pop on Ebay.
I did this with an old Jessops PKA-fit 2x TC a while ago. After trying it and finding that I got better images from the same lens on its own (Pentax-A 200mm f4) if I just cropped them to the same size as the images taken with the TC!

Luckily this one was easy. A locking ring to unscrew, then the elements just unscrewed from the TC as one lump.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo