Q7 with K Mount Adapter?

ISO

Link Posted 04/03/2014 - 18:04
Has anyone had experience of using this combination? I would imagine it would be a case of the tail wagging the dog, all that hefty glass with nothing on the back of it.
I ask because I may be doing some long trips next year and something lighter than my K5 could be useful.
Thanks for any replies.

johnriley

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 00:01
I was having a look at the Pentax adapter at the NEC and it's easy to see why it costs so much more than the Chinese versions.

I have tried the Q with various K lenses and it works very well. However, it takes a bit of practice to nail the focus every time.

The Q7 won't offer quite the same magnification, but should offer improved image quality.
Best regards, John

ISO

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 11:55
Thanks John but a question
Quote:
The Q7 won't offer quite the same magnification, but should offer improved image quality.

Not quite sure what you mean by this? The Camera? the K Glass?

johnriley

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 15:47
The Q7 has a slightly larger sensor, so the magnification factor will be slightly less. That is, the field of view is wider with any given lens.

There's not much in it.
Best regards, John

ISO

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 18:36
Thanks for that John,
Given it will be about a year until I would need to buy one, what's your take on a Q6/Q5/Q1 appearing?
Also, from what you said earlier, there is a big difference in price on the Adaptors - can you give me an idea what we are looking at, and you having seen the Pentax version, is the difference justifiable?
So many questions

Smeggypants

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 19:08
johnriley wrote:
I was having a look at the Pentax adapter at the NEC and it's easy to see why it costs so much more than the Chinese versions.

I took a guess at the price of the Pentax version, and allowing for usual inflated prices guessed about 50. How wrong was I.

It's 200!!!

That's more than you can get an original Q for. What a rip off. I see the 3rd party versions can be had for around 20 on Ebay. 20 is a reasonable price for a mount adaptor.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Helpful

ISO

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 19:25
Smeg - (excuse the familiarity)
Well that answers one question. But Branded Q7 gives them a lot of wriggle room - bound to be at least a Q5 - Maybe with a tilt screen????
Luv the SHOUT did you get a Scandinavian to create it for You

johnriley

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 19:51
The difference is very obvious when you examine the adapters.

I have a very nicely engineered Chinese adapter which fits smoothly onto the Q and does indeed enable use of K lenses. It's tricky, but it can work very well.

The Pentax Q adapter is much more substantially built and has a built in shutter and a built in aperture control mechanism. Electronic contacts enable the shutter to operate. The reason for this is the strange effects that can result from using the Q shutter with fast moving subjects. It's similar to focal plane distortion, but the reasons are quite different. Without the shutter in the adapter fast moving objects will distort.

It's a beautiful piece of kit and. holding it and looking closely at it, it's quite clear that 199 is justified and 50 would be an unrealistic expectation.
Best regards, John

Smeggypants

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 20:29
johnriley wrote:
The difference is very obvious when you examine the adapters.

I have a very nicely engineered Chinese adapter which fits smoothly onto the Q and does indeed enable use of K lenses. It's tricky, but it can work very well.

The Pentax Q adapter is much more substantially built and has a built in shutter and a built in aperture control mechanism. Electronic contacts enable the shutter to operate. The reason for this is the strange effects that can result from using the Q shutter with fast moving subjects. It's similar to focal plane distortion, but the reasons are quite different. Without the shutter in the adapter fast moving objects will distort.

It's a beautiful piece of kit and. holding it and looking closely at it, it's quite clear that 199 is justified and 50 would be an unrealistic expectation.

I wouldn't doubt the Pentax version is engineered to a higher quality

That wasn't the issue. the issue is that it's TEN TIMES the price. We've been through this before with the difference in price in batteries. Yes the Pentrac batteries are better than some ( but nto all ) 3rd party batteries. the batteries are 55 as opposed to 6 fora 3rd party version.

Neither the battery or the mount adaptor is 10 times better.

50 is a perfectly realistic expectation IMO. OK let's even stretch it to 75, but 200...... nope.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

johnriley

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 20:30
We're not just talking about higher engineering quality, but extra features as well.
Best regards, John

dcweather

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 21:01
Q, plus Chinese adaptor, +Kenko 1.5x TC, + DA*300. Okay, no award winner but in the half hour I spent playing around I couldn't get it with combinations using the K3. I can stop down my Chinese adaptor but I would love to have the extra features of the Pentax one. Where the Q + DA*300 comes into its own is with extreme telephoto video when cropping isn't an option. Neil P has slightly better Jupiter with same combo but Pentax 1.7x

ISO

Link Posted 06/03/2014 - 18:33
Well I guess the good news is that I can use a Q with my existing K Mounts and get decent results.
Still leaves the question re future editions of Q. No one seems to want to speculate
Also now would like to add another ?. Q Glass is limited at the moment, but how does that perform?

johnriley

Link Posted 06/03/2014 - 18:38
Quote:
Still leaves the question re future editions of Q. No one seems to want to speculate

There have been two new releases of Q lenses within the past weeks, the Q and Q10 have been superceded by a larger sensor version, the Q7.

Why the doubts? It all seems to be moving along very nicely.
Best regards, John

ISO

Link Posted 06/03/2014 - 19:07
No doubts John!!!, but why buy a - Q7 when a Q5 might be round the corner - and yes as far as I can see there is no body development on the Road Map, but still worth asking for some speculation.
So far from what I have heard here, I will probably get one next year and maybe even go for a Pen Adaptor. Might have to sell a bit of Glass to fund it all though.

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 06/03/2014 - 20:49
ISO wrote:
No doubts John!!!, but why buy a - Q7 when a Q5 might be round the corner - and yes as far as I can see there is no body development on the Road Map, but still worth asking for some speculation.
So far from what I have heard here, I will probably get one next year and maybe even go for a Pen Adaptor. Might have to sell a bit of Glass to fund it all though.

It would be interesting to know what the largest sensor the Q lenses can take. When the Q came out it had the 1/2.3" sensor. Who knew that these lenses would work happily with the larger 1/1.7" sensor of the Q7? No-one to be honest. It came as a nice surprise to all of us. Given that the space within the camera makes the former sensor very tiny, and the latter not much bigger, what are the odds of, say a 2/3" or even a 1" sensor in the tiny Q in the future? Pure speculation I admit, but a 1" Q body and it is bye bye RX100.......
Some Cameras
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.