DA Ltds and Lee Sev5n filter system

Northgrain

Link Posted 04/03/2014 - 18:08
This is a bit niche, but might be interesting to some.

I've been on the lookout for a while for a decent filter system allowing use of ND grads (and potentially a 10-stopper) on my DA Ltds, including the DA15 with its excellent but fixed and protruding hood. The Ltd lenses are obviously small (which is why I love them!) and, as someone pointed out on here yonks ago, 85 or 100mm filter systems look daft size-wise and the grads for such systems are also optimised for bigger lenses.

My mate (an Oly shooter ) has just invested in the Lee Sev5n system, really designed for compact system cameras but with potential for a small DSLR setup like the DA Ltds. He popped round today and I got a quick play with my K5 and DA15 to see if there were vignetting problems.

I used a slim UV filter on the DA15 to allow enough room for the filter holder to fit above the lens hood.

Initial conclusions:

It's a beautifully made system with a high quality holder (as you'd expect from Lee). It's also very compact and sits well on the DA Ltds. The filters themselves (75x90) are also nice and compact and easy to manage (just that bit easier than cokin P size filters). There was vignetting/signs of the holder on photos taken wide open (F4.0), but this was minor at F5.6 and (almost?) gone by F7.1 (see below). As the vast majority of my landscape shots are at smaller apertures this would not be a problem for me.

Very tempted by this system for use on my DA15 21 and 40, despite the eye watering prices of Lee. The Sev5n filters are much less expensive than full size Lees... but still pricey. And don't even ask about the cost of the polarizer for the system

Grab shot of the setup - DA15, extra UV filter, Lee Sev5n Adapter plus holder and a 0.6 soft grad

Jpegs straight from camera just to test for vignetting (handheld out of a window!). I know, not the best
image to test for vignetting!

F4

F7.1

F11

Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff
Last Edited by Northgrain on 04/03/2014 - 18:11

DrOrloff

Link Posted 04/03/2014 - 18:13
Interesting, thanks for that. I did enquire at Teamwork Photo but they told me the syetem was unsuitable for the DA15, looks very workable to me.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

InFESTation

Link Posted 04/03/2014 - 23:10
Having not gotten round to these kind of filters, if you only use a single filter, would it not be possible to remove the outer holder section seeing as it is screwed together, reducing the vignetting?
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

Northgrain

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 07:32
InFESTation wrote:
if you only use a single filter, would it not be possible to remove the outer holder section seeing as it is screwed together, reducing the vignetting?

Yes- that's certainly possible with this system, although I didn't get to test it. Might be a faff in the field to take a section out. Or you could buy an extra holder... But for my purposes the effect of a two slot holder looks acceptable.
Tim

Smeggypants

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 08:22
I like a bit of vignetting. It adds depth to a pic and draws the eye to the central subject area of the scene.

The edges of a composition are there to support and frame the subject not take equal limelight to it. IMO
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

redbusa99

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 10:21
just get an old 49mm filter and push the glass out then use as an extension on the 15mm with the benefit of not having what could be a detrimental extra layer of glass between filter and lens
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

CMW

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 12:05
It seems an ideal solution if you are restricting your use to the smaller Pentax lenses. It does, though, lack versatility if you should ever want to use ND grads on the larger diameter lenses.

For that reason, I use the 100mm Lee holder, along with their wide-angle adapter rings on my wider lenses, but opt for Hitech ND grads ... which are cheaper and perform well. The size of the Sev5n set-up is enviable (and judging from the photo above the filter holder actually looks as though it might be more robustly made than the 100mm variant), but for my purposes size isn't too much of an issue.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

Northgrain

Link Posted 05/03/2014 - 19:34
CMW wrote:
It seems an ideal solution if you are restricting your use to the smaller Pentax lenses. It does, though, lack versatility if you should ever want to use ND grads on the larger diameter lenses.

Agreed, and that's why it's probably a niche solution. My standard takeout kit up to now has been K5 plus DA15, DA21, DA40 and DA70... which is why I've been looking for a really compact filter system. I also love using well made kit, and the sev5n holder is solid.

Having said all that, though, I've just confused my own strategy by buying a sigma 10-20
Tim

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.