Q over quality compact?

gartmore
Posted 11/01/2013 - 06:51 - Helpful Comment Link
There are some sample pics on the pentax Japan site, impressive indeed.

I haven't heard one Q owner being any less than pleased, impressed and inspired by their camera
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
DrOrloff
Posted 11/01/2013 - 08:37 - Helpful Comment Link
I got the Q as a complementary camera to the K5 as I wanted a go everywhere option that was pocketable and also good for sneaky street shooting. The IQ was a pleasant surprise. I'm with Andrew's thoughts on the appeal of the Q. I also had the choice between the Q and a compact. However, if I were going somewhere with great photo opportunities and not taking a DSLR then I would have reservations.

I use the Q only with the 01 normal prime. It's compact and fast and sharp. It's pocketable, but just. Cargo pant pocketable rather than shirt pocket pocketable, which is fine for me. The zooms though are quite a bit larger than the prime and the extra width really makes a big difference to pocketability. The Q is screaming out for a wide angle prime. One is in the pipeline and if it hadn't been I would have gone for a compact instead.

Image quality is very good indeed for what it is. I find optimal results at the faster end of the lens. I do however disagree with those who think that image quality is not far short of a dslr, I think it is. The Q produces surprisingly good results when used optimally, but there are plenty of shooting situations where too much noise starts to creep in. My niece got a Nikon something1 and I have been very impressed with the results. I wouldn't recommend that as an option but for me it did demonstrate that the larger sensor makes a big difference.

If I were going on an exotic trip with great photo opportunities and wanted to take one discreet camera then it would not be the Q. I would go for a high end compact. The new MX-1 looks really good. I would take a look at the Olympus XV-2 which seems to have the same lens and sensor and if the image quality was good enough I'd wait for the MX-1. Otherwise it would be the Sony RX100.
milamber
Posted 11/01/2013 - 08:50 Link
DrOrloff wrote:
I got the Q as a complementary camera to the K5 as I wanted a go everywhere option that was pocketable and also good for sneaky street shooting. The IQ was a pleasant surprise. I'm with Andrew's thoughts on the appeal of the Q. I also had the choice between the Q and a compact. However, if I were going somewhere with great photo opportunities and not taking a DSLR then I would have reservations.

I use the Q only with the 01 normal prime. It's compact and fast and sharp. It's pocketable, but just. Cargo pant pocketable rather than shirt pocket pocketable, which is fine for me. The zooms though are quite a bit larger than the prime and the extra width really makes a big difference to pocketability. The Q is screaming out for a wide angle prime. One is in the pipeline and if it hadn't been I would have gone for a compact instead.

Image quality is very good indeed for what it is. I find optimal results at the faster end of the lens. I do however disagree with those who think that image quality is not far short of a dslr, I think it is. The Q produces surprisingly good results when used optimally, but there are plenty of shooting situations where too much noise starts to creep in. My niece got a Nikon something1 and I have been very impressed with the results. I wouldn't recommend that as an option but for me it did demonstrate that the larger sensor makes a big difference.

If I were going on an exotic trip with great photo opportunities and wanted to take one discreet camera then it would not be the Q. I would go for a high end compact. The new MX-1 looks really good. I would take a look at the Olympus XV-2 which seems to have the same lens and sensor and if the image quality was good enough I'd wait for the MX-1. Otherwise it would be the Sony RX100.
Thanks. More or less decided on a Q for a number of reasons - price, size, ability to swap lenses rather than have one fixed lens, options for experimentation with my K mount lenses and, of course, enabling me to continue contributing to this site which would be lost if I get other than Pentax

I have to say though your post does raise all the issues I had when I first started thinking about what to do. Q and a high end compact perhaps, but then I'm starting to build the kit up again! Already carrying a tiny HD camcorder - all pocketable, but would need lots of pockets....
DrOrloff
Posted 11/01/2013 - 09:17 - Helpful Comment Link
I'd satisfy myself that the 02 zoom f2.8-4.5 versus the f1.8-2.5 of the MX-1 meets the shooting needs of the trip as those differences in spec are significant, especially factoring the relative sensor sizes. I think the promise of adapted lenses outweighs the performance. I still haven't seen anything that has impressed me much, there are some ok results.

The Q has a long list of positives and I'm sure you'll enjoy using it.
Edited by DrOrloff: 11/01/2013 - 09:17
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 12/01/2013 - 10:17 - Helpful Comment Link
My first pp-ed shot from the Q + 01 (re-sized to 800px for PUF):

Comment Image


Watford overground (guess where I'd been:wink

Overall I'm quite pleased. Not DSLR quality - I doubt the K5 would have any blocked up dark areas, and the general detail retained would have been significantly better (the hair on the guy on the left is distinctly mushy, for example, when viewed at full size). But this is a decent performance in pretty challenging conditions (settings: 1/30 @ f2.8 & ISO400). Particularly given that the shot has been fairly significantly cropped (what you see is probably around 2/3 the original size). At full size (after cropping, that is), the tread on the guy's trainer on the right is surprisingly clear. It did require more sharpening than usual, but it could take it. Also the white balance (not a strength of the Q) wasn't accurate - though this is easily adjusted in PP (especially in RAW).

At the very least, I think this demonstrates IQ-wise what a handy take-everywhere camera the Q is for street shooters. Image quality's decent enough and its diminutive size opens up all sorts of possibilities which would either be impossible or ill-advised with a larger camera. I wouldn't have been too bothered taking the above with a larger camera , but would have been more self-conscious doing so and would also have probably attracted greater attention; and I've taken many photos with the Q that I wouldn't have dreamed of taking with a larger camera.

Re. the lens sizes. Adrian has a point about the difference between the 01 and 02 lenses on camera. The 01 + Q is a tiny package, and very handy for this reason. But the 02 is by no means large. I would feel a little anxious about the LCD putting a camera in my pocket in any case. Instead I use a camera bag attached to my belt. I got one of these from SRS: link. Perfect for the Q, which fits body down with the 01 and lens down with the 02. It makes for a discreet package either way.

As Adrian points out a fast wide prime is a desirable addition to the range, which I would prefer to the 02. The 06 telezoom looks pretty decent - check out shots posted by RaistD (I think that's his name) on the getDPI.forum. I guess stability would be more of an issue at this length - though at least it's constant f2.8 (wish the 02 had this).

Adrian's also right about it not being a DSLR replacement. While I could see myself being reasonably happy travelling with just the Q (actually taking a Q would most likely result in being more photographically active), I wouldn't if I had serious photographic intentions on any trip. Most likely I'd take more than just the Q - but I am notoriously bad at travelling light. On my recent visit to London I had some photographic opportunities with the Q that wouldn't have existed without it (as I likely wouldn't have had any camera with me otherwise). The results - in quite challenging lighting - don't appear bad at all on first inspection even if they are not of the quality I might have captured with a larger sensor camera. In better lighting I'd have fewer reservations about the Q, but I do shoot a lot in low light conditions. Another benefit of the Q btw is as a handy tool to investigate photo ops that might be returned to with a larger camera.

Re. the Q vs. the MX-1 or similar cameras, the faster aperture is desirable, but I find the tiny form factor a big plus with the Q; and wonder if the compacts would provide such photographer friendly handling as the Q, which is a joy to use.
Mhuni

500px
Edited by Dr. Mhuni: 12/01/2013 - 10:45
DrOrloff
Posted 12/01/2013 - 10:57 - Helpful Comment Link
Good point on the screen. Mine is protected with a screen protector. Not just for more rugged handling but as a general safeguard. I've scratched my K5 screen a bit but I have the viewfinder.

The handling of the Q is great. Sometimes I accidentally press the wrong button if I'm sneaking a shot or nudge the dial around in pocket, but you soon learn to check. Having an EV dial makes a huge difference to me and that's something the RX100 lacks. Good to see the MX1 has it. One of the biggest pluses of the Q is metering accuracy which I think easily outperforms the K5, which is key for quickly grabbed shots.
aliengrove
Posted 13/01/2013 - 04:59 Link
I'm torn between the Q (or Q10), the new MX-1, and the Fuji X-20, which has got a proper sensor instead of the daft EXR sensor that was great for Jpegs but produced RAW files that were almost impossible to get a decent image from. I'm tending towards the MX-1 pending reviews, but the Q looks like a very discreet and flexible camera.
gartmore
Posted 13/01/2013 - 09:54 Link
DrOrloff wrote:
Good point on the screen. Mine is protected with a screen protector. Not just for more rugged handling but as a general safeguard. I've scratched my K5 screen a bit but I have the viewfinder.

The handling of the Q is great. Sometimes I accidentally press the wrong button if I'm sneaking a shot or nudge the dial around in pocket, but you soon learn to check. Having an EV dial makes a huge difference to me and that's something the RX100 lacks. Good to see the MX1 has it. One of the biggest pluses of the Q is metering accuracy which I think easily outperforms the K5, which is key for quickly grabbed shots.
any recommendations on the screen protector? Mine has just had a close shave with a bunch of keys in my pocket
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
DrOrloff
Edited by DrOrloff: 13/01/2013 - 12:44
screwdriver
Posted 13/01/2013 - 12:55 Link
You could just buy a plastic protective film, but I got one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271135389581

They will fit the Q - just.

They have a protective plastic membrane as well as the hood, the hood can be removed and refitted easily and quickly, it's a good design as it offers complete mechanical protection when the hood is folded down for the rear screen when the camera is in your pocket or bag and the shading from the hood really helps in bright conditions.

They are around 6mm thick with the hood fitted and overhang the left hand side of the screen (as you look at it, by around 1mm, they don't overhang the camera, just the screen) when fitted to view the whole width of the 16:9 format. Vertically they are more than high enough to view the whole screen in any aspect ratio.

I originally bought it for use with my K-01, but I'm thinking that a loupe might be a better option with that as it enables the K-01 to be used with the rear screen as a viewfinder with all the advantages of stability when holding.
Chris
Edited by screwdriver: 13/01/2013 - 13:05
gartmore
Posted 13/01/2013 - 13:10 Link
Thanks both, I think I'll go with the former, I just want to protect it because I'm using the camera solely with th 01 and O-VF1 400 ISO and monochrome.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
dcweather
Posted 16/01/2013 - 21:25 Link
Why not get one of the 3rd party adapters (see the thread on shots with these) and put a 50mm k mount in your pocket to give you nearly 300mm 35mm equiv in case you see the odd bit of nice wildlife?
Dave
gartmore
Posted 17/01/2013 - 08:51 Link
I'm not very interested in wildlife as a photographic subject I'm afraid and I can't help but think that adapters and K mount lenses (and probably a tripod too) defeat the purpose of the camera for me.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 18/01/2013 - 17:44 Link
There's an interesting Flickr group devoted to the Q which shows off its capabilities as a candid camera rather well here:

link

Give or take the odd deer (:shock it's more consistent than most Flickr pools I've looked at.

I particularly like this:

link

Shame the guy feels the need to emblazon his name on the top, though I quite like the fake shadow.
Mhuni

500px
Edited by Dr. Mhuni: 18/01/2013 - 17:58
simonkit
Posted 18/01/2013 - 18:13 Link
As much as I like my K5 Pentax doesn't hit the spot when it comes to compacts, sorry...the new Sony RX100 will soon be my carry everywhere compact

Simon

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo