Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Purple fringing and Elements 6

gregmoll
Posted 21/02/2010 - 05:16 Link
Hi,

Having done the mandatory search and not finding what I want, can anyone point me to a Add-On for Elements 6 which will eliminate "Purple Fringing"
Thanks
Greg
Edited by gregmoll: 21/02/2010 - 05:17
i-Berg
Posted 21/02/2010 - 07:23 Link
Greg,

The best way is to shoot RAW and get rid of as much chromatic abberation as possible there, before converting to JPG. Lightroom does a reasonable job with it.

PF is unfortunately a particular type of CA that tends to persist to some extent, in my experience. Prevention is better than cure!
gregmoll
Posted 21/02/2010 - 07:34 Link
Thanks,
I use Photo Shop RAW with Elements 6, could you give me brief explanation as to how one corrects PF in a RAW file.:
Greg
i-Berg
Posted 21/02/2010 - 07:45 Link
Greg,

I don't have Photoshop, and use Lightroom (another Adobe product). In that programme's develop module, there are two sliders in an area headed 'Chromatic Aberration'. Use those to correct for CA as best you can.

Given that Photoshop is about the most comprehensive editing suite in existence, and made by the same people, there's a high likelihood that CA correction is also available for you.

Have you tried using Help in Photoshop, and doing a search for those words?
PG
Posted 21/02/2010 - 07:51 Link
Only full blown Photoshop has the ability to fix CAs built in. With Photoshop Elements, you'll have to rely on a plugin for that functionality. There's a plugin called PTLens which does exactly that, and I've had it for quite a few years now and it does what it says on the tin.
PhilipGoh.com - Wedding and Portrait Photographer
gregmoll
Posted 21/02/2010 - 08:09 Link
Thanks to both you, I thought that I'd read that the RAW converter as implemented in Elements was a crippled version.

I will search for PTLens.

Thanks,
Greg
gregmoll
Posted 21/02/2010 - 08:28 Link
That looks like a fantastic application, if one goes to the examples page link and see what it does, it sells it self.

Check the Fish Eye correction.

Now to play
Thanks again
Greg
Edited by gregmoll: 21/02/2010 - 08:28
i-Berg
Posted 21/02/2010 - 09:21 Link
All the best Greg!

BTW, Lightroom has a Beta of version 3 that is free for now, and that is the one I am using. It gives you a bit more latitude to play with RAW images in a multitude of ways, outside of PSE6 (which I use as well). Think of it as a beefed up version of ACR (if using Windows), or Bridge if using a Mac.
Posted 23/02/2010 - 17:18 Link
I have looked at PTLens and the colour channels can be 'zoomed' to create and destroy red/blue fringes and Y/C fringes, too but the purple fringing seems to stay there.
Is it possible that the purple fringing is a sensor effect rather than being due to the lens? It only occurs when there's high contrast in the picture.
i-Berg
Posted 23/02/2010 - 22:35 Link
Sophie,

As I understand it, PF is a sensor issue - it is a charge 'overflow' into adjacent sensor sites. That's why you see it in lines of high contrast. Someone here may be able to explain why it is purple, as I have no answer for that. Lens design may or may not make PF worse.
Posted 23/02/2010 - 22:41 Link
That's a big relief 'cos I have seen it even on my new, lovely, 60 - 250 mm Pentax zoom (birthday and Xmas present).
I am also quite impressed by the vignetting treatment with PTlens, too; that's my only real carp about the DA 18 - 55 so I now have very little to complain about.

It's interesting that PF seems to be mainly on one side of dark areas, rather than all around like a halo.
Edited by sophiecentaur: 23/02/2010 - 22:44

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.