Purchasing replacement D-L190 for the K-5

Chris3471
Posted 22/06/2016 - 14:47 Link
Hello Folks,

Yes, I appreciate that this particular topic is somewhat of 'an old chestnut' etc.

I have trawled through the numerous entries on the Forum, and although they're helpful, most are dated.

Can anyone advise as to which online sites, suppliers, makes are the most reliable and cost effective please?

As I'm sure most of you know, there is a growing trend in supplying inferior, and in some cases dangerous product (resulting in combustion either during use, and/or while recharging).

I look forward to receiving your advice, many thanks.

Regards


Chris Lynch
wvbarnes
Posted 22/06/2016 - 15:27 Link
Hi,

I've recently bought two 2800 Ma DSTE (advertised as 2000 Ma) from Amazon UK. I can only see lower power ones at moment. They are chipped to display battery level correctly. They look identical externally to the Pentax labelled ones, also from China. The one I had previously by DSTE was 2000 Ma and has lasted five years without issue. It doesn't seem to be holding its charge so well now though, thus the purchase. I previously also had a Hahnel free from SRS with a kit. All seem to last as long as the pentax ones and none have leaked or exploded (yet)

Some cheap replacements are only rated at 1400 Ma per hour. This is of course a maximum discharge rate, so not a full idea of capacity.
johnriley
Posted 22/06/2016 - 16:37 Link
I still buy the originals, from SRS, and have never had a battery problem.
Best regards, John
BruceStrachan
Posted 22/06/2016 - 19:39 Link
I only buy dangerous cheap ones from Amazon and to date no fires on any model of battery/camera combination....
Suggest you go on Amazon and check the feedback...fairly reliable indicator.
Also have to say that replacements for the K3 (D-L190 ayex) & KS2 last pretty much same length of time as original Pentax ones.
Cheers,

Bruce
Edited by BruceStrachan: 22/06/2016 - 19:42
pgweber
Posted 22/06/2016 - 19:42 Link
Just a reminder about SI units and prefixes:

Prefixes: milli = m, mega = M
Unit of current = Amperes (or Amps) denoted by A.

mA = thousandths of an Amp
MA = millions of Amps

Therefore mA.h to denote the product of current & time, in relation to camera batteries (where h = hours).
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm
Edited by pgweber: 22/06/2016 - 19:43
stub
Posted 22/06/2016 - 23:47 Link
Only used the cheapest of Chinese ones from ebay.. Had six of them three years now and still no fires, explosions or holocaust. Quite disappointing really... They do slightly under perform against the Pentax battery but only slightly and are a fraction of the retail price...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
andy_bell
Posted 23/06/2016 - 08:25 Link
Have about half a dozen DSTE D-LI90 clones, they perform every bit as well as the Pentax branded variety.
But I generally keep them in my grips, still no issues whatsoever over the last 4 years or so.....
A few bits & Bobs
Chris3471
Posted 23/06/2016 - 09:22 Link
Hello PU's

Well guys I expected the usual comprehensive and sound advice, for which I am very grateful, thanks.

Oh! and yes I also expected some sarcasm, banter etc re: 'explosive product'.
However, I note along the lines of 'many a serious word said in...' that one of you had to resort to donning a tin hat, calling the fire brigade, but not before attempting to extinguish the flaming result (il cheapo producto, oh yeah baby!). OK, joking folks.

So, on a serious note, I guess some of you are aware that my original reference to 'DODGEY producto' and the prospect of fire/combustion hazard occurring, was indeed based on fact (TV progs showing graphic proof etc).

By the way, I'm the K-5 User armed with fire extinguisher, fire blanket and fire bucket of course.
Happy snapping guys, thanks again.

Fire Chief

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo