PU Site Text colourscheme

JAK

Link Posted 25/08/2019 - 18:26
Is their any way to alter this site's pale grey text on pale gray/white? I'm finding it increasingly difficult and straining on the eyes reading text here?
Some sites offer alternative colour schemes to alleviate this.

Thank you.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 25/08/2019 - 18:28

johnriley

Link Posted 25/08/2019 - 18:28
The way forward with this is to make a report (see bottom of page for link) addressed to IT and they will reply as soon as they can.
Best regards, John

JAK

Link Posted 25/08/2019 - 18:30
Will do, thanks Joihn. I wonder what others feel or is it just me?
John K

davidwozhere

Link Posted 25/08/2019 - 23:44
It's a valid point. I have to strain a bit too.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

JAK

Link Posted 26/08/2019 - 00:06
A dark theme as an alternative to choose from would be very helpful. Also photos tend to look better against a dark background in any event.
John K

Algernon

Link Posted 26/08/2019 - 11:19
This scheme came after much discussion and was considered the best after extensive testing.

Usually with dark backgrounds the text is unreadable. DPR used to be like that. The new off white is much better. Maybe that would work here.

---
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 26/08/2019 - 11:22

JAK

Link Posted 27/08/2019 - 12:43
Algernon wrote:
This scheme came after much discussion and was considered the best after extensive testing.

Usually with dark backgrounds the text is unreadable. DPR used to be like that. The new off white is much better. Maybe that would work here.

---

Thanks Algi. I use white on a very dark grey for my own personal site. Curious to know if you find this unreadable? However there is an option to customise the display with alternative schemes which I feel all sites should offer.
Some colour combinations just don't work together!
There are further thoughts on the matter here:
https://www.wired.com/2016/10/how-the-web-became-unreadable/
As to preparing images for the web I set them up to look right on a dark background. They sometimes look wrongly exposed when displayed on a white background!

eg: https://www.pentaxuser.com/photo/user-10524/painted-lady-109407
vs
http://jkpg.myqnapcloud.com/piwigo/picture.php?/3788/category/2
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 27/08/2019 - 12:51

rickhanson

Link Posted 29/08/2019 - 09:21
Hi,

I'm not sure what direction to take here, I can add a basic colour scheme toggling option to the upgrades list (light background/dark background), but can't offer a timescale to when it might be done, might not get scheduled for a year or more.

I appreciate when Pentax User was reskinned a few years back that as Algernon has pointed out there was much discussion about the comments box, with grey on grey being the chosen option, however it wouldn't be my personal choice, since I prefer a white background, like this sample:

Top comment with white background

What does everyone else think?

Rick

johnriley

Link Posted 29/08/2019 - 10:15
It's a tricky one as any change will have some people pleased and some not so pleased. It's also difficult to judge as I personally don't have a problem reading it as it is, something that's equally true of the EPZ colour scheme.

Having options for the user to select might be the best thing, including the option to leave it as it is for those who are happy with it?
Best regards, John

Lubbyman

Link Posted 29/08/2019 - 11:22
johnriley wrote:
Having options for the user to select might be the best thing, including the option to leave it as it is for those who are happy with it?

Having options is always best - eyesight varies so much (and so do monitors!) that one-size-fits-all does not apply. People I've known with severe sight impairment have found light text on dark background easiest (printed as well as screen), something to do with the brightness of the background. Even Microsoft provides a 'high contrast' option for Windows (left SHIFT, left ALT, PRINT SCREEN is the shortcut in 8.1), which gives white text on black background but doesn't affect these forum pages.

Of course font size also comes into play. It can be hard to admit, but sometimes just enlarging the text (zooming in or using magnifying software) is what is needed to read it comfortably. And now it's all done by software, there's no need to use a magnifying glass and advertise to the world that your eyes aren't as good as they used to be!

Steve

JAK

Link Posted 29/08/2019 - 13:27
I'm guessing that when he scheme was changed a few years ago,those who were happy with it as it was wouldn't have needed to say very much.
What's wrong with good old black text, rather than this trendy grey? Anything to up the contrast ratio.
I may have cone up with a personal solution. There is a Firefox extension named Blacken which overrides the grey type.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/blacken/
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 29/08/2019 - 13:35

Sry

Link Posted 29/08/2019 - 20:49
Options would be best, of course... I am personally fine with the current layout, actually appreciate it very much - easy on my eyes. White on a dark/black background hurts my eyes so much I simply skip any site that uses such a layout (if I need some important piece of info on it I'll turn the page style off, and hope it will be worth it). As for displaying photographs, adding a frame can give one the background they need (I add a white frame to my photos, as that's closest to how I show them in print). That's an easy workaround, but for the site layout proper, I have no idea how difficult it can be to offer options...

Algernon

Link Posted 30/08/2019 - 15:51
You need to dig out the original thread and read the full discussion.

It sounds like your PC's need a slight contrast adjustment plus a small tweak on the type face sharpness.

A few years ago PC's came with programs to do this. Samsung supplied MagicZone which adjusted settings within a crop box.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.