Proper Hoods

kerrowdown

Link Posted 08/08/2008 - 20:30
Hi all, as I have never seen elsewhere a discussion on Metal Heliopan lenshoods on Pentax lenses (or maybe my search method is not up to much).

I wonder has anyone here have any knowledge of which Heliopan Metal hood would be good for the Pentax A * Series 135mm F1.8. (77mm thread). Or indeed any other manufacturer of a good quality metal lenshood, as the Pentax offered rubber version RH-A-77, barely "cuts the mustard".

Unlike the Pentax original for the 85mm f1.4 which I just managed to buy off Ebay (brand new), deep joy, which does the bis and also looks awesome on the lens too.

Heliopan show two types, a long and a short (but no measurements or pictures, see link)

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_i...

Thanks in advance.
My Harem of Ladies.... “Mistress" (Pentax-A 15mm F3.5 ), "Good Lady” (Pentax-A 20mm F2.8 ), “Friendly Lady” (Pentax-A 24mm F2.8 ), "Deviate Lady" (Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift ), "Street Lady" (Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 ), "Retro Lady" (SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8 ), "Special Lady” (Pentax-A 50mm F1.2 ), “Femme Fatale” (Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro ), “Sweetheart” (Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4 ), "Lady Luck” (Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8 ), “Gorgeous Lady” (Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED ), “Duchess” (Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0 ) and "HM The Queen" (SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 ).

bretbysteve

Link Posted 09/08/2008 - 15:05
Hi,

I have been experimenting with all sorts of metal hoods for my Contax Zeiss lenses for the last few years, as the Contax ones are huge and un-wieldy.

I have only found B+W and Heliopan who make 3rd party 'branded' ones. Both are excellent and tricky to find, as well as being a little expensive. I have found a few used ones from ebay and from UK web dealer sites, but they come up very infrequently...try Ffordes and MXV..I have had success with both.

Both the B+W and Heliopan 'tele' hood seems designed for 85mm ish lenses, so should be fine with anything longer. I use a B+W tele metal hood on my Contax 85mm lens.

They both seem to make three hoods...wide, standard and tele. I approximate they are designed for 28mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses roughly.

I have also searched on ebay many times with the search term: 'metal hood' or 'metal shade'. You will also find some of the 1970's and 1980's manual focus systems used metal hoods and may be compatible with others. For example, the Minolta MC lenses often used 55mm metal hoods, which match my Contax lenses 55mm threads.

Many of the Nikkor hoods are metal screw-in ones. On ebay there are also many chinese metal hoods, usually sold by USA sellers. I have tried some and many are nicely made...but again it is guess work as they also are usually just labelled wide, standard or tele....have fun..

cheers Steve.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.