Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Promaster Glass, Any Thoughts

McBrian
Posted 01/05/2004 - 13:04 Link
Hi All

I have a chance to purchase a PROMASTER 28-200mm IF f3.8/5.6 AF zoom lens for £50. I was wondering if any of you more experienced folk have any knowledge of the build/picture qualityof this lens. I believe this lens to be a re-badged Tamron or manufactured by Tamron for Promaster.

Thanks in advance.
johnriley
Posted 02/05/2004 - 22:04 Link
I am of the opinion that the best results will be obtained by using genuine Pentax lenses, if possible with the dedicated Pentax lens hood.

Other makes may or may not be satisfactory and I have always regretted buying them. I don't any more!
Best regards, John
George Lazarette
Posted 03/05/2004 - 01:10 Link
Although the Pentax f3.8-5.6 28-200mm lens is made by Tamron, it is given the Pentax SMC coating (unlike the Tamron-branded version). If the Promaster is basically the same lens, it still won't have the Pentax coating, so will be inferior as regards flare, contrast, and colour.
Kimbo
Posted 03/05/2004 - 11:43 Link
I love Pentax gear but am also particularly fond of Tamron lenses.
As a very popular multi-award winning manufacturer, many photographic experts around the world think they're pretty good too.
The version with the Pentax badge may be superior although I doubt the difference would be noticeable and for £50, the Promaster sounds like a real bargain to me.
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
Kim C
Posted 04/05/2004 - 08:47 Link
Hi,
I must admit that having tried many of the others, I also now stay with Pentax. The question you need to ask is why it was sold as a Promaster and not Tamron? Although it may have been made by Tamron, it is not likely to be up to the normal Tamron spec if it was sold at a much lower price. It is fairly common for the major manufacturers to build lenses for others at a cut down spec. At the end of the day you get what you pay for!

Regards
Kim
Kimbo
Posted 04/05/2004 - 12:41 Link
The current XR 3.8/5.6 lenses by Tamron and Promaster appear to be identical in all but a few cosmetic areas ie. rubber grip on the lens barrel.
Personally, I would still say that £50 - even if it's for the previous model, is excellent value for money and I would seriously consider buying - subject to it's condition.

It should be noted however that we are entering the realms of the 'superzoom' with this lens (28-300mm is now quite common) and while the performance of such lenses is now remarkably high they can not and most probably will not ever be able to compete with prime lenses or zooms of a more modest range in terms of optical perfection.
Zooms have always represented a trade off between optical quality, speed and flexiblity.
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
McBrian
Posted 08/05/2004 - 21:58 Link
Thanks for all your replies. I actually let the Promaster lens go in favour of a genuine Tamron 28-200 Aspherical f3.8/5.6 lens (got it for £40 off ebay) although I believe the one I have purchased is the previous model.
I know all about the pros and cons of zooms, super-zooms and primes, this lens is a cover all option attached to a MZ-5 that will be based under the front seat of my car for those "jeess! I wished I had my camera with me" moments.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
McBrian
Posted 10/05/2004 - 19:28 Link
Kimbo

I see from your post's you are from Coventry. Which part? I spent my young childhood in Belmont Rd next to the canal (I fell through the ice in 63, got pulled out with a garden rake by a friends father), railway and the BMC factory (long gone), went to Edgwick Primary before circumstances led me to being packed back to Scotland. My Mum and Sister still stay in Radford so I make the journey down once or twice a year to see them and my other Cov freinds.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.