Problems with SDHC Transcend class 10 cards

cabstar

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 18:59
Ok bought three of these

Using them last night for a concert shoot, formatted them all before the show. Whilst shooting the show I used hi speed shooting mode & the camera hung, eventually an error message popped up on the back screen saying couldn't write image to card

So I put another card in got the same prolem
Same with the 3rd.

OK when I got home retrieved the images that where on them, formatted them & compared them to my other Transcend 8 gig class 10 cards I bought last year.

with my old cards I could shoot 22 frames before the buffer filled, with the new card I got 16 & then it would hang. This was the same for all three cards & on BOTH my GX20 bodies.

7 day shop are refunding but if you are looking to purchase these cards I would be weary.

My old cards have a little logo which say 20 mb/s write speed, the new ones don't so something has changed...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Don

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 19:15
interesting. the lexar pro class 10 works fine on my k10.
fwtw
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

cabstar

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 19:26
Yes my previous Transcend 8 gig class 10 cards are fine, which is why I ordered some more. Clearly these are a different batch & quality too it would seem.
Concert photography

Don

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 19:36
possible chinese knock offs?

I worry about chinese knock offs.
I fear going outside right now in case a chinese stealth fighter will malfunction and crash into my car... lol!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 31/01/2011 - 19:38

greynolds999

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 19:39
I doubt that 7dayshop would deliberately sell knock-offs. But there are a lot in the market coming in through mainstream suppliers.

More likely a dodgy batch. This happens some times - always best to check memory cards (in your PC) before using.
My Photobucket

cabstar

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 20:33
No not knock offs, but definitely an inferior quality...
Concert photography

Algernon

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 21:49
Sorry to hear that, but you can't say that you weren't warned about them.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

cabstar

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 23:20
Yes I knew the 16 gig cards had issues but I thought I was getting the same cards as I had already with out issues, but the labels & packaging are totally different. So card is a different design too. Maybe time to invest in some san disks now...
Concert photography

techno-terminator

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 23:39
If you go to SanDisk - be careful , there have been some reports of dodgy SanDisk cards on Evil whotsit
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

bretti_kivi

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 06:21
... so buy them from a reputable retailer, like Amazon, who have something to lose.
32GB Ultra IIs (for my videos) come in at around 65 at the moment.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

K10D

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 06:34
techno-terminator wrote:
If you go to SanDisk - be careful , there have been some reports of dodgy SanDisk cards on Evil whotsit

I only use Sandisk Extreme's bought from reputable sources. I have never had a problem (where's Murphy)?

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

layingback

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 08:11
Buying from a "reputable dealer" may be necessary to assure genuine cards, but it is not sufficient. Various reports have demonstrated that substitution of "knock off", "reject" and/or "ghost shift" cards occur at all steps of the - often loose - procurement process in China. Such that all 3 types have been found even in stock obtained directly from major names in the flash card business. So the retail outlet may be as much of a victim as the purchaser.

EDIT: Here's a link to one of the better articles on the subject.
My PENTAX Page
Last Edited by layingback on 01/02/2011 - 08:31

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 08:42
Somehow I find it strange. I use 16GB &8GB SDHC Transcend Class10 cards and NEVER EVER had a single problem with it. I buy them from Micro Direct and over the years I bought about 20 of them (wife is using them in MP3 player and got several spares as I shoot in RAW+ that only gives me just over 300 pictures, plus got one in the Panasonic pus a couple of spares for them).
A friend of mine was lucky and got the new 64GB SDXC Transcend Class10 and that is working fine as well but sadly Micro Direct are out of stock for a while by now.
Will definitely get two of them as soon as they are back in stock.
Never bought the Transcend anywhere else as I heard about problems with the card and I rather stick with the one retailer I know I got all my working ones from.
As for Amazon, make sure thy come from Amazon directly and not from a third party on Amazon Marketplace as this may give you cheap knock off's again.
Transcend them self have previously admitted that there where a target of mass counterfeit cards and that they where made so good that it was impossible to tell unless you broke the card open but that they would even replace every card as long as you can proof where you purchased it from.
You can contact their Tech Support here.
Getting the card replaced by Transcend directly also guarantees that you get the genuine item, just in case that the retailer got a 'bad batch'.
Transcend are usually quite cheap and if you do not order directly from Transcend you always run the risk, for saving a few pennies, to either get 'knock off's' or counterfeit products.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

andrewk

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 11:08
I have a Transcend 8GB Class 10 card that I bought for use with my K200D. Initially, I could only take a few shots and then got an error message saying that the camera could not write to the card.

I tried the Transcend in a card reader on a (newish) HP Pavillion PC with no problem writing or reading, after more than half filling the card with JPEGS. The issue, it seemed, was with the K200D rather than the card.

So ..... I installed the Version 1.01 firmware update on the camera .... and the problem disappeared. The new Class 10 Transcend now works fine.

Andrew
Flickr photostream

Algernon

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 13:55
This was a previous thread about card reliability.

I think that's about Four people in just two threads who have had problems with Transcend
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.