Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Problem firing Interfit studio flash from K7 sync socket

Shabach
Posted 28/03/2012 - 11:48 Link
Hi,

I have just invested in 600w/s Interfit Stellar studio flash units. The slightly older pre-digital version.

When I connect the K7 using sync cord it only fires once. I have to disconnect/reconnect cord from camera or flash unit to get another single flash! Cannot see any settings in the menus - need to update firmware but a quick look at the update doesn't make any mention of flash sync. Triggers no problem using K7 on board flash but don't want to affect lighting/exposure set up.

I am intending buying wireless trigger but don't want to invest until I know what's going on.

Any pointers gratefully received. What wireless triggers are other using with K7?

Thanks

Andy Martin
sterretje
Posted 30/03/2012 - 10:08 Link
I replied in https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/x-sync-via-cable----fires-only-once---341... that describes the same issues with other Pentax cameras (ok, different flash unit as well but I don't think it makes a difference).

I don't have experience with wireless, but would suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the wireless kit that you want to buy to see if their stuff works with both the camera and the flash units.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Edited by sterretje: 30/03/2012 - 10:09
gartmore
Posted 30/03/2012 - 10:28 Link
What camera settings are you using?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
AdrianP
Posted 31/03/2012 - 16:26 Link
Hmm, I'm in a similar position to the OP. I purchased a used Interfit flash kit (2X Venus 150s with stands and softboxes) a couple of weeks ago. Tested them rigorously once I got home firing them through my Sekonic L328 flashmeter via the PC cable. As was well - both flashes fired perfectly every time.

Came to try them in anger today with my K5 and, same as all the posts on this and the linked thread, the flashes fire once then nothing. I have to disconnect the PC cable in order to fire the next shot. I also tried it through an old hotshoe to PC adaptor with the same result. But when I try it on my Panasonic Lumix LX3, via the hotshoe adaptor, and my Pentax LX, connected directly to the camera's PC socket, the flash fires regularly and consistently again. Settings on the K5, if important, are ISO 200, 1/125th second, F5.6. [Edit. BTW, I am waiting until the beep to show the units have recharged).

I've read a few older threads on this subject and gather that it's an issue with the thyristor in the K5's flash circuitry. But the PC socket doesn't appear to work reliably on my K5, the OP's K7 or some other Pentax cameras so I'm left to ask what flash units can modern Pentax dSLRs actually fire through the PC socket? Apparently not Interfit or Calumet flash units judging by the threads on here.

I've got a set of Cactus v5 remote triggers on order so won't have to struggle for too long but would really welcome some thoughts on Pentax's design and component choices.

Adrian
Edited by AdrianP: 31/03/2012 - 16:32
johnriley
Posted 31/03/2012 - 18:45 Link
Best option for me is the simple IR trigger. Works every time and there are no trailing cables to fall over.
Best regards, John
Shabach
Posted 31/03/2012 - 22:37 Link
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm gobsmacked that Pentax are still bringing out new models where this issue hasn't been addressed.

However I have to go forward with the gear I've invested in so, having spoken to the guys at SRS Microsystems,(One of UK's main Pentax dealers), I've order 'Seculine' Wireless/IR trigger system. Not cheap at £120 but I need something reliable and robust.

Do Pentax User/ Forums have any clout with feedback to Pentax because this does need sorting out?!

Andy Martin
George Lazarette
Posted 31/03/2012 - 23:15 Link
I suspect few people connect flash cables to cameras any more, so it's not something Pentax bothered to test.

I used to use an IR trigger, but good ones cost an unjustifiably large amount of money, and bad ones are unreliable. So I generally use a cheap flashgun gun pointed away from the subject and on low power.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Edited by George Lazarette: 31/03/2012 - 23:16
fatspider
Posted 01/04/2012 - 12:07 Link
I've used the synch socket on all my DSLRs (that had one), *istD, K20 & K5 both with studio lights and a cheap ringflash, never had anything like that happen.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
sterretje
Posted 02/04/2012 - 13:23 Link
It's the combination of the Pentax design and the design of the flash / studio light. That's why fatspider does not have a problem; just lucky in the gear that he / she selected
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
gartmore
Posted 02/04/2012 - 14:42 Link
Shabach wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm gobsmacked that Pentax are still bringing out new models where this issue hasn't been addressed.

However I have to go forward with the gear I've invested in so, having spoken to the guys at SRS Microsystems,(One of UK's main Pentax dealers), I've order 'Seculine' Wireless/IR trigger system. Not cheap at £120 but I need something reliable and robust.

Do Pentax User/ Forums have any clout with feedback to Pentax because this does need sorting out?!

Andy Martin

I don't really think the problem is really with Pentax. I use Bowens lights in the main but I've also worked with Elinchrom and others without any problems using a cable to the socket on the camera. I suspect your problem lies with budget Interfit heads.

However removing the physical link will sort the problem and be far more convenient.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.