Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pro-line studio kits

fatspider
Posted 10/02/2011 - 22:56 Link
Has anyone any experience with the Pro-line range of studio lighting (as sold by SRS)
Nothing fancy needed, just a couple of lights with modeling lamps to provide soft even light with a little modeling, for use in domestic dwellings so really powerfull flash output not really necessary as the distance of light to subject would be relatively small.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
bretti_kivi
Posted 11/02/2011 - 06:59 Link
important questions:
- what modifier attachment do they use? Bowens or Elinchrom?
- how much do you intend to spend on additional modifiers?

"soft light" = umbrella close up or big softbox, depending on exactly what you want - but unless you can get it within a metre or so of your subject, with you directly in front of it, it's going to be difficult.

Don't forget your background, too.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
gartmore
Posted 11/02/2011 - 08:32 Link
Alan, take a look at Calumet's own brand flash heads. I'm quite impressed by them.

My cheapie Chinese ones which seem almost identical to the pro-line ones are starting to prove unreliable. The modelling lights aren't bright enough.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
fatspider
Posted 11/02/2011 - 16:40 Link
Quote:
- what modifier attachment do they use? Bowens or Elinchrom?
- how much do you intend to spend on additional modifiers?

1)I dont know and 2) I want to spend as little as possible, I just wanted a simple setup for evenly lit portraits.

I'll take a look al Calumnet Ken, thanks.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Chrism8
Posted 11/02/2011 - 17:13 Link
gartmore wrote:
Alan, take a look at Calumet's own brand flash heads. I'm quite impressed by them.

My cheapie Chinese ones which seem almost identical to the pro-line ones are starting to prove unreliable. The modelling lights aren't bright enough.

Had my cheapie ones as above for over 3 years, gets regular monthly use and still good, agree with modelling light brightness, but you can cater for that, just purchased another 3 from Link Delight, google them or go via fleabay,

Have done everything I've asked of them + been used for the Cheltenham Camera Club Studio Group sessions on a monthly basis.

Cheers
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Don
Posted 11/02/2011 - 17:27 Link
have you checked out elinchroms d-lite 200 kits?
link
Comment Image

anything cheaper than that and I'd give more serious consideration to buying a couple compact stands and shoot throuh umbrellas and using portable flashes like the 360 fgz
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 11/02/2011 - 17:27
Cayman
Posted 11/02/2011 - 19:02 Link
Quote:
anything cheaper than that and I'd give more serious consideration to buying a couple compact stands and shoot throuh umbrellas and using portable flashes like the 360 fgz

Agree. I came at this the other way - was thinking of getting a 540 fgz and thought that for the money I could get some d-lites instead. Turns out it was a good decision. Have not looked back since getting them.
bretti_kivi
Posted 11/02/2011 - 19:41 Link
DLites aren't *that* portable, though they're pretty good. One is enough for some things, too, when used with a reflector.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.