Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Prices on the Pentax X70

jackitec
Posted 24/04/2009 - 20:59 Link
Now I'm not knocking SRS (Chris) in any way as they have been very good with me or any other company in the UK, but we are all price conscious, this is a first for Spain, SRS are selling the Pentax X70 for £369, which I am considering, but i have just found the Pentax X70 for 319 EUROS in Spain link which is a big difference, has the Pound got that bad? as I live in Spain makes me wonder!!!
Edited by jackitec: 24/04/2009 - 21:02
Hardgravity
Posted 24/04/2009 - 21:32 Link
Quote:
has the Pound got that bad? as I live in Spain makes me wonder!!!

I'll let you know in ten weeks time.

I was in Malaga recently and not very surprised at the cost. The Euro price was similar to last year but after conversion to Sterling about 20% higher.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
jackitec
Posted 24/04/2009 - 22:31 Link
The euro will crash by that time I hope, but were talking nearly £70 difference I can't understand why
Hardgravity
Posted 25/04/2009 - 08:46 Link
Maybe the extra sea crossing to the UK?

Or just greedy shops over here ripping everybody off! After all when a model gets old, say eight months on the market, they sell at £100/150 less than when new.

Incidentally the only white K-m I've seen in the flesh was in a camera shop in Malaga, it didn't look that bad.
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.
shim
Posted 25/04/2009 - 09:05 Link
Just rip-off Britain. The new Canon 500D (I think) will be over £800 here but only £560 in the US..... Nothing to do with exchange rates, we are just a nation of mugs The PR people will tell you we get better value here.

shim
Hardgravity
Posted 25/04/2009 - 09:29 Link
That's a very cynical view Shim!

Sounds about right though....
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.
Mike-P
Posted 25/04/2009 - 10:03 Link
I found Spain very expensive for electrical gear in general so I am very suprised to see that its cheaper there.
jackitec
Posted 25/04/2009 - 10:30 Link
So was I Mike,
Hardgravity can you remember where the camera shop was in Malaga?
johnriley
Posted 25/04/2009 - 10:47 Link
If we were the sellers we wouldn't want some of the margins that we would have to sell at.

On the one hand we want choice, everything to be in stock, instant delivery, top class service, exchanges without question....it all has to be paid for and we are now coming out of a period when prices have been incredibly low.

I will be buying anything I want as soon as possible, because it could get much worse.
Best regards, John
shim
Posted 25/04/2009 - 10:47 Link
Hardgravity wrote:

Incidentally the only white K-m I've seen in the flesh was in a camera shop in Malaga, it didn't look that bad.

Kamera/Bestcameras in St. Helens did have them in the window, not sure if they still have. Looked OK

shim
Mike-P
Posted 25/04/2009 - 11:27 Link
johnriley wrote:
If we were the sellers we wouldn't want some of the margins that we would have to sell at.

Surely that depends on turnover.
Tesco make less than pennies on 99% of their items but make huge profits every year. The likes of SRS may not have such a turnover but their margin is no doubt fairly good otherwise they wouldn't still be here.
They make up for that with good customer service (even if their web guru is a total ****** for listing the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro for Pentax mount when it didn't exist:lol.

Its all relative.
johnriley
Posted 25/04/2009 - 11:49 Link
True, but in this context we're not really talking about the Tescos of this world, who are rather bigger fish!

It's an oddity of the UK that "profit" seems to be a dirty word. If someone makes money it seems OK, as long as in our perception they don't make too much money. In the USA making a huge profit might bring a response of Well Done, here it might be They Should Be Taxed More.

Odd world really.
Best regards, John
Hardgravity
Posted 25/04/2009 - 12:22 Link
Can't remember the name or street name, but if you buy me a ticket to Malaga I could take you there.

This is a shot of the window if that helps!
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 25/04/2009 - 13:02 Link
We (at work) used to deal with Intro2020 (the old Pentax distributers), and the price we could get lenses at was 25% off the SRP. Let me just have a quick nose at the current price list...

Okay, taking the example of the Tamron 18-250mm, I see an SRP of £499.99 which, less VAT, would give a cost price to us of £326.09. Checking Warehouse Express (SRS website is down at the moment, for me at least), they're selling it for £369.99. If we were to sell it at the same price, we'd be making less than 12% profit.

Can you imagine the levels of stock you'd have to shift to make a living from that? Let's say you want to make £20,000 a year. You'd have to sell £166,000 of goods to get that amount of profit. Then add in your rates, utilities, rent, staff wages...

Obviously (you would hope) the likes of SRS are getting a lower cost price, but even so the margins must be tight.

I don't envy the independent retailer at all! But I'm glad we've got them.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
viewfinder
Posted 20/05/2009 - 08:07 Link
So Dan, just to be sure what you are saying.....

.....Are you trying to get us to believe that because independant dealers are on very tight margins that it's ok for us to be constantly ripped off??

It may well be true that dealers have a tough time but that is no excuse for £700 cameras only costing £500 in the USA......and somethings are HALF the UK prices....??!!?

.........On a separate issue;

Am I the only person to think that X70 has an extaordinary high price,...an astonishing £369!!!!!?? especially considering that 'the others' made these cameras two years back and in some cases rather better, and that this is after all, just a 'digicam' with minute sensor,.....we are being asked to pay as much as a k200...???????

Either the k200/k20/km are very cheap or x70 is VERY expensive.....as usual with pentax now, something is very wrong........
Edited by viewfinder: 20/05/2009 - 08:15

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.