Pressure plates and/or rollers causing scratches on negs

BigTed

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 19:59
Anyone got any 'old-pressure-plate-smoothing-regimes', hints, tips and/or magic potions to stop the film getting horizontally scratched as it goes through the camera? Emery paper? paint?

Not consistent, seems worse at the end of the film...

REALLY appreciated!

Father Ted

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 20:06
Can I ask? Do you do your own developing?
My reason for asking is I had this problem with film I used on my old SuperME. I asked the company who developed the film and was told the fault was the camera. But I then took another film in, from a different ( new, compact )camera and that came out with horizontal scratches in the negatives, but they didn't show up in the prints.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

BigTed

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 20:09
Hi - no I don't (that's next years enterprise!)

Father Ted

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 20:12
Just wondering whether your scratching is taking place inside the camera or the processing machine. I'm pretty sure mine was in the machine. Although the processors denied it.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

Mannesty

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 20:51
It shouldn't be too expensive or difficult to replace the pressure plate, or entire back. Which body is it?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

BigTed

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 20:58
Mmmm I've seen that too, and thought exactly the same
This time tho' it is two different cameras(and both very previously-well-loved at that) and two different film processors, so the law of averages says it's prob the cameras....

and, yes, I have found a couple of 'burrs' on the plate since.

The answer MIGHT be a bit of emery paper, and a bit of Humbrol matt paint (plus a bit of lighter fluid for the rollers...) - but I've never tried this before, and thought I'd check around first!

BigTed

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 21:04
Sorry Peter - crossed in post

ME Super - I did consider getting a spares or repairs but figured the plate might be as bad. Can you get new-ish ones with certainty anywhere?

womble

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 21:23
If you don't fancy doing it yourself I can highly recommend Harrow Technical. My ME-F came back last week with it's dodgy electrics fixed, the sticky foam changed (I know I can do this myself but I couldn't fix the electrics) and generally cleaned, lubed, adjusted and calibrated. I took it out this afternoon and everything worked well and sounded sweet. It'll be while before I get a film back to check, however, and metering in the snow is never easy!

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

BigTed

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 21:39
Got it in one; I don't fancy doing at all!
(I'll ring them tomorrow.....)

Thanks

womble

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 23:09
BigTed wrote:
Got it in one; I don't fancy doing at all!
(I'll ring them tomorrow.....)

Thanks

Just mention I recommended him... I am about to send him an MX and an ME Super...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Last Edited by womble on 08/02/2009 - 23:10

Mannesty

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 23:18
BigTed wrote:
Sorry Peter - crossed in post

ME Super - I did consider getting a spares or repairs but figured the plate might be as bad. Can you get new-ish ones with certainty anywhere?

Harrow Technical or Asahi Photo. Asahi Photo were able to get a part that i needed to repair a lens, Harrow technical couldn't get the part.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

womble

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 23:23
Swings and roundabouts as ever. Asahi Photo said they couldn't get a winder cover for my ME-F, Harrow Technical pointed out that it didn't ever come with one just a black plastic fitting which I had. Both companies seem excellent and if one cannot help, the other probably can.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.