Practical Photography KS2 Review
Posted 20/05/2015 - 22:27
Link
I agree, I tend to make choices on whether I just like something; it's a better system than endlessly poring over reviews because there will always be a new model which on paper is better at this or that and so far this system hasn't let me down. I used to think I would like a Nikon until I picked one up in a shop - back in the day they were second only to Leica and really covetable, so when I could actually get one it was rather a let-down. The Pentax just felt like a proper camera.
Posted 20/05/2015 - 23:06
Link
davidhamilton wrote:
....and have a Cocker Spaniel. I could, perhaps, in theory, improve all aspects bur I doubt it. I am more than happy with my choices.
No you couldn't. You can't improve on a Cocker Spaniel.... ....and have a Cocker Spaniel. I could, perhaps, in theory, improve all aspects bur I doubt it. I am more than happy with my choices.
Unfortunately magazine reviews are important. Prospective camera buyers read them. That's why many think they must have a Canon/Nikon.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Posted 21/05/2015 - 08:48
Link
any one that read the reveiw of the canon 1200 nikon 3300 and the pentax ks1in mays 23 issue
and was thinking of a entry level should be buying the pentax ks1by the bucket loads
as right at the end they said the ks1 would last longer
and was thinking of a entry level should be buying the pentax ks1by the bucket loads
as right at the end they said the ks1 would last longer
Posted 21/05/2015 - 14:30
Link
vic cross wrote:
I agree that the 2 mags. tend to be Canikon biased to a certain extent. BUT there again you seem to me to be VERY biased towards Pentax. I'm a Pentax enthusiast through and through and I say live and let live. All cameras have their pros & cons. If TIPA can give a piece of photographic equipment an award then I read the independent reviews with the thought that many people have many different views and ideas.
See Dangie above. He has the right attitude to independant reports.
I don't want to upset you Bruce but lighten up a bit and don't get so angry.
CHEERS Vic.
Vic,BruceStrachan wrote:
I subscribe to this mag and sent a really long mail to the editor about why I would not be renewing and lo and behold they then review a Pentax camera 2 issues later..
And boy have they slated it.
Having used the camera for some time it was like reading a review of a different camera!
Can't say I'm surprised as their Niton bias is incredible.
But to have the K'S 2 miles behind the Nikon D5500i s scandalous...
Can't wait to see their slating off the K3 ii ...
BruceI subscribe to this mag and sent a really long mail to the editor about why I would not be renewing and lo and behold they then review a Pentax camera 2 issues later..
And boy have they slated it.
Having used the camera for some time it was like reading a review of a different camera!
Can't say I'm surprised as their Niton bias is incredible.
But to have the K'S 2 miles behind the Nikon D5500i s scandalous...
Can't wait to see their slating off the K3 ii ...
I agree that the 2 mags. tend to be Canikon biased to a certain extent. BUT there again you seem to me to be VERY biased towards Pentax. I'm a Pentax enthusiast through and through and I say live and let live. All cameras have their pros & cons. If TIPA can give a piece of photographic equipment an award then I read the independent reviews with the thought that many people have many different views and ideas.
See Dangie above. He has the right attitude to independant reports.
I don't want to upset you Bruce but lighten up a bit and don't get so angry.
CHEERS Vic.
Iīm not really angry, just enthusiastic...
I also have a Canon EOS450D, and even a Nikon Coolpix for the pocket.
The magazines get to me because they seem to focus almost exclusively on Nikon/canon (to a lesser extent), even in the training features etc.
I have the same experience now trying to use Nikon Menus that others here feel about the menu system, so I suppose the guy who uses Nikon all the time wonīt find the Pentax menus very natural.
Still I only subscribed because I got a free gift of a wee manfrotto LED background light, so will go back to buying occasionally when Iīm in the UK to read in the airport.
Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce
Posted 21/05/2015 - 14:34
Link
richandfleur wrote:
Without a copy and paste, what aspects did they declare the K-S2 being miles behind in?
"The problem is that itīs competitive features arenīt enough to compensate for a frustrating menu system and poor handling."Without a copy and paste, what aspects did they declare the K-S2 being miles behind in?
The minimizing of the benefit of in body SR.
"users forced to grapple with a stiff extending barrel"
power switch that is too easy to flick into video mode (I have yet to do this in over 3000 shutter activations)
A few others...as well
Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce
Posted 21/05/2015 - 20:37
Link
On balance AP concluded the KS1 was the entry level must have camera. I'm happy with that.
David Hamilton
Posted 24/05/2015 - 18:56
Link
I am happy that I dropped their subscription years ago.
Posted 24/05/2015 - 22:02
Link
I stopped subscribing to magazines because they do repeat themselves in the "lessons" for photoshop and lightroom. As a Pentax user there is no point in reading how good a lens is for canikon sony etc., but I do find it sad that the the lens makers Sigma, Tamron don't do lenses for Pentax. There a couple of Pentax lenses I would like but just too reassuringly expensive. Still trying to get the cash together to buy one of them. I went to an exhibition today and a great number of cameras had been used from pro right down to compacts but not one Pentax
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


24 posts
11 years
Kingston upon Hull