Practical Photography
Posted 04/12/2013 - 20:14
Link
It would seem that some staff at Practical Photography favour Nikon & Canon without considering what other camera brands provide, even if the cameras are outstanding in tens of spec and tech.
Sadly reviews that are paid for will always be biased and skew the truth which is why I rarely buy magazines which only endorse Nikon & Canon.
Sadly reviews that are paid for will always be biased and skew the truth which is why I rarely buy magazines which only endorse Nikon & Canon.
Fletcher8.
Posted 04/12/2013 - 20:35
Link
Soviet SLRs of the 1980s were clunky and hardly refined IMHO. It's a very uninformed comment at best.
Best regards, John
Posted 04/12/2013 - 21:38
Link
They always go on about not as intuitive when they review pentax , when they did it years ago i phoned them and cancelled magazine as they are biased
Posted 04/12/2013 - 21:46
Link
At the photography club the other night we have a beginners section. I was showing another member how to adjust white balance on her Canon. Must have dug through every menu before I found it. Of course a Canon user would have found it much quicker. You get used to what you're used to. Simple as that.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Posted 05/12/2013 - 10:05
Link
Well the Pentax menu system has hardly changed in years, suggesting the reviewer has never used a Pentax before which is disappointing in itself.
i don't really care for photo magazines to be honest except for BJP.
i don't really care for photo magazines to be honest except for BJP.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 05/12/2013 - 10:27
Link
Personally I find this forum more entertaining than any mag.
Amateur photographer is nice to buy from time to time and much friendlier to obscure brands
Amateur photographer is nice to buy from time to time and much friendlier to obscure brands
Posted 05/12/2013 - 13:02
Link
Think I will stick to AP in future. At least their reviews seem more balanced and knowledgeable.
Posted 05/12/2013 - 13:20
Link
With 'experts' young enough to be my children I take what they say with a lot of caution - and they are very ill-informed - and you can tell PP is chasing the lowest common denominator when you read the letters page- it reminds me of the Steve Wright Show on R2
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Posted 05/12/2013 - 13:44
Link
To be honest I think Pentax' menu could be improved upon, but Pentax seem to prefer being conservative and posts here reminds us there are good arguments for that too. The best thing about Pentax is how rarely you need to dig into the menu.
My general feeling wrt to a lot of magazines' test is that they are carried out by tech geeks rather than photographers. I am not sure I would put more faith in a review just because the reviewer is old, though ...
My general feeling wrt to a lot of magazines' test is that they are carried out by tech geeks rather than photographers. I am not sure I would put more faith in a review just because the reviewer is old, though ...
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Posted 05/12/2013 - 17:30
Link
I have just added a Nikon to my man cupboard, menu wise whilst I am naturally very familiar with Pentax, I don't recall my Kr (my first DSLR) being as hard to navigate in the initial days as the Nikon.
A flip to that, a friend playing with my K5 recently found the menu a breeze!
A flip to that, a friend playing with my K5 recently found the menu a breeze!
Posted 05/12/2013 - 17:34
Link
I menu is a menu, by and large I don't see what difference it makes as long as we're used to it?
Best regards, John
Posted 06/12/2013 - 00:10
Link
I got this edition (jan) as well, saw the cover with northern lights, was hoping it would have guide for shooting the lights, however, there was no article about it inside, was a bit disappointed really.
----------
Pentax K-30, 55-300, 18-135, 35 2.4, 50 1.8, 12-24
Pentax Q, Q10, 01, 02, 04, 05, 06 & 07
(Pentax K-x 2011-2012)
Pentax K-30, 55-300, 18-135, 35 2.4, 50 1.8, 12-24
Pentax Q, Q10, 01, 02, 04, 05, 06 & 07
(Pentax K-x 2011-2012)
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


199 posts
13 years
Edinburgh
In a odd section headed "Handling" there are bizarre comments that the camera is reminiscent of Soviet SLRS of the 1980s, can dig into your hands and is in general critical of the look and feel of the camera.
Later in the section whilst making a positive comment about the control layout and the menu the reviewer suggests the menu should be changed to something more intuitive, whatever that means!!