Fit for photography
Posted 04/12/2013 - 18:41
Link
In one of my other pastimes, control of breathing is important. I use a similar technique when shooting handheld with a heavy or long lens.
A few intakes of breathe and a long slow exhales. Then line everything up, deep breath in allowing the body to move and the lens will move away from the subject, but don't worry. Breathe out and the lens should drop again and the image back to where you need it. Hold the breathing, finalise composition and press the shutter.
With shake reduction or stabilisation it is not as important but previously I could get excellent result from a 300, 400 or 600 mm lens at speeds of 1/30 second!
A few intakes of breathe and a long slow exhales. Then line everything up, deep breath in allowing the body to move and the lens will move away from the subject, but don't worry. Breathe out and the lens should drop again and the image back to where you need it. Hold the breathing, finalise composition and press the shutter.
With shake reduction or stabilisation it is not as important but previously I could get excellent result from a 300, 400 or 600 mm lens at speeds of 1/30 second!
Posted 04/12/2013 - 20:46
Link
Gamka wrote:
In one of my other pastimes, control of breathing is important. I use a similar technique when shooting handheld with a heavy or long lens.
A few intakes of breathe and a long slow exhales. Then line everything up, deep breath in allowing the body to move and the lens will move away from the subject, but don't worry. Breathe out and the lens should drop again and the image back to where you need it. Hold the breathing, finalise composition and press the shutter.
With shake reduction or stabilisation it is not as important but previously I could get excellent result from a 300, 400 or 600 mm lens at speeds of 1/30 second!
You're a sniper? In one of my other pastimes, control of breathing is important. I use a similar technique when shooting handheld with a heavy or long lens.
A few intakes of breathe and a long slow exhales. Then line everything up, deep breath in allowing the body to move and the lens will move away from the subject, but don't worry. Breathe out and the lens should drop again and the image back to where you need it. Hold the breathing, finalise composition and press the shutter.
With shake reduction or stabilisation it is not as important but previously I could get excellent result from a 300, 400 or 600 mm lens at speeds of 1/30 second!
Actually sniper breathing technique is great for photography.
Hold half way on the exhale and pull the trigger ( Press the shutter button) between heart beats.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 04/12/2013 - 21:52
Link
Gamka wrote:
In one of my other pastimes, control of breathing is important. I use a similar technique when shooting handheld with a heavy or long lens.
A few intakes of breathe and a long slow exhales. Then line everything up, deep breath in allowing the body to move and the lens will move away from the subject, but don't worry. Breathe out and the lens should drop again and the image back to where you need it. Hold the breathing, finalise composition and press the shutter.
With shake reduction or stabilisation it is not as important but previously I could get excellent result from a 300, 400 or 600 mm lens at speeds of 1/30 second!
Do the same thing for the same reason. Shot rifle before I got my first camera (1970). It's more about upper body strength than breathing. I find that swinging a k-7 with 100-300 f4 Sigma and a 1.5x t/c is a lot easier after the archery than it was before (trying to catch some of the low flying jets where I live)!In one of my other pastimes, control of breathing is important. I use a similar technique when shooting handheld with a heavy or long lens.
A few intakes of breathe and a long slow exhales. Then line everything up, deep breath in allowing the body to move and the lens will move away from the subject, but don't worry. Breathe out and the lens should drop again and the image back to where you need it. Hold the breathing, finalise composition and press the shutter.
With shake reduction or stabilisation it is not as important but previously I could get excellent result from a 300, 400 or 600 mm lens at speeds of 1/30 second!
Brian
Posted 04/12/2013 - 22:04
Link
I tend to keep a reasonable level of fitness anyway as a rule but the fitness thing will of course depend on your photography, health, condition etc
Upper body strength/lower back strength for large lenses and camera combinations and aerobic exercises etc for those wanting to be in the hills may be the best way forward or a mix to suit.
I would suggest two things, that is check with your doctor and ask for a suggestion as your doctor knows your own physical/medical condition then ask for more info from who ever or whatever direction your doctor points you in
Sorry it's a bit vague but hopefully accurate
Upper body strength/lower back strength for large lenses and camera combinations and aerobic exercises etc for those wanting to be in the hills may be the best way forward or a mix to suit.
I would suggest two things, that is check with your doctor and ask for a suggestion as your doctor knows your own physical/medical condition then ask for more info from who ever or whatever direction your doctor points you in
Sorry it's a bit vague but hopefully accurate
Posted 05/12/2013 - 00:02
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
You're a sniper?
You're a sniper?
Not far off ... I have shot quite a few animals in Africa - but most with the camera! One of my best sets was using a 300mm lens, during a moonless pitch black night with flash for a lion around 80 metres away!
Posted 05/12/2013 - 10:08
Link
I tracked myself when i covered t in the park festival a few years ago and discovered in a day I walked 22 miles carting two bodies lenses etc. Every January i start a walking programs to get fit fir summer. Come september in usually exhausted so have a long break from it
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 05/12/2013 - 10:46
Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
I believe you're born with a pre-programmed number of heart beats. I'm not wasting mine on exercise
Surely the heart beats faster if you are unfit?
I believe you're born with a pre-programmed number of heart beats. I'm not wasting mine on exercise
Posted 05/12/2013 - 11:50
Link
wvbarnes wrote:
tyronet2000 wrote:
I believe you're born with a pre-programmed number of heart beats. I'm not wasting mine on exercise
Surely the heart beats faster if you are unfit? I believe you're born with a pre-programmed number of heart beats. I'm not wasting mine on exercise
Love this Japanese Doctor!
Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it...... Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.
Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Fruit very good. Brandy distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Grain good too. Bottom up!
Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of one, sorry. My philosophy: No pain...good!
Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetable be bad?
Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!
Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.
Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!
Well... I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.
And remember:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
AND......
For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.
1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 05/12/2013 - 11:53
Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
I believe you're born with a pre-programmed number of heart beats. I'm not wasting mine on exercise
Indeed. while being a couch potato isn't healthy, neither is revving up the engine too much.I believe you're born with a pre-programmed number of heart beats. I'm not wasting mine on exercise
Formula 1 engines are superfit but only last a couple of races, while the plodding diesel engine almost goes on forever. It's not unheard of for diesel trucks to do over a million miles.
Everytime I see someone massively into sport and fitness they always look worn out.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 05/12/2013 - 12:11
Link
Well thanks to Stan and the Smegster I KNOW I'm on the right forum lol.
Cheers
Steve
Cheers
Steve
Steve
Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Posted 05/12/2013 - 12:38
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
While this is a comfortable thought for you pouch potatoes unfortunately it is not quite true. I have been working out semi seriously for many years - mostly cycling, supplemented with basic core training of the rest of the body - so follow the science a bit. The general idea is that the best thing you can do for your health is to exercise hard for a short time. A french study recently examined tour de france participants and found they live longer and and more active lifes than the average French. The main catch is if you have a heart abnormality, then intense training might kill you and running a marathon a week is not good for your joints. A friend of mine had stress related heart problems some years ago and the doctor prescribed interval running! tyronet2000 wrote:
I believe you're born with a pre-programmed number of heart beats. I'm not wasting mine on exercise
Indeed. while being a couch potato isn't healthy, neither is revving up the engine too much.I believe you're born with a pre-programmed number of heart beats. I'm not wasting mine on exercise
I just work out because I like it and I think it gives me health benefits here and now (I am never sick, never have issues with my back or kneels, which several of my friends are already having, etc). And I do think it is nice my physique is not preventing me going on a hike in the mountains with the camera in the back.
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Posted 05/12/2013 - 12:50
Link
My brother in law, 3yrs younger than me, was the fittest person I knew. Played squash on a regular basis, ran in various marathons, didn't smoke and was very particular about his diet, no fatty 'full English' for him. 5ys ago was diagnosed with bowel cancer and was cremated 2yrs ago. I on the other hand have had completely the wrong diet and general lifestyle although I did stop smoking about 15yrs ago. Have survived a few major things .
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


28 posts
13 years
Brian