Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Posting Lenses

TasMan
Posted 30/04/2019 - 13:55 Link
Hi All, I am seeking some advice on posting lenses, specifically international postage.
I have a couple of lenses for sale in the Classified listing and I had eventually agreed to confirm a sale of one to a forum member in Poland, posting from the UK.
Checking out the postage details I note on the restricted items list Cameras/Lenses are specifically prohibited. I wondered if anyone had encountered this and had any issues or could recommend a postage service ?
Using Parcel Monkey I was looking at a Parcelforce International Drop Off Service but the prohibition list is specific. I think I will have to cancel the sale to cover both parties as I don't want to risk un-insured damage or the package being lost/returned.
Thanks in advance...!
JAK
Posted 30/04/2019 - 14:21 - Helpful Comment Link
Here is a link to the parcel force restricted items list:
https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/prohibitions-and-restriction...
There's no mention of lenses in it, just digital cameras where the battery is not connected to the device.
Have you a link to where it says lenses can't be sent?
John K
Edited by JAK: 30/04/2019 - 14:24
pschlute
Posted 30/04/2019 - 14:26 Link
You would do best to contact a carrier directly where you can see their restrictions and not the generic one on that parcel monkey site.

last time I looked on parcelforce I think you were able to send cameras/lenses, but the lens would only be covered for loss, not damage. You would need to check though as the regulations, especially regarding batteries may have changed.
JAK
Posted 30/04/2019 - 14:35 - Helpful Comment Link
Try it using https://www.parcel2go.com/prohibited-items
Price should be similar and no restriction on camera items other than with Hermes.
John K
johnriley
Posted 30/04/2019 - 16:18 Link
If you go down to your local post office they will be able to advise.
Best regards, John
Mannesty
Posted 30/04/2019 - 18:09 Link
TasMan wrote:
Checking out the postage details I note on the restricted items list Cameras/Lenses are specifically prohibited.

If that were true how do you suppose companies like SRS MIcrosystems could ship their products abroad? Sounds daft to me.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
TasMan
Posted 30/04/2019 - 22:04 Link
Thanks all, its rather confusing but looks like Parcelforce Global Priority ordered direct from their website may be the answer, albeit a little more expensive than via the broker sites.
Further checks indicate some carriers have cameras/lenses listed, others not.
The list I was referring to is here https://www.parcelmonkey.com/restricted , hence why I was getting hung up on using Parcelforce...
I have used Parcel Monkey a few times within the UK and they have always been great.
Parcel2Go prohibited list refers to Cameras but only when carried via Hermes (who I would not use anyway).
Parcelforce direct doesn't mention cameras or lenses and it doesn't come up when I state what the contents are so it seems to be ok.
I agree, seems a generic rule for some and I am sure the likes of SRS send hundreds of packages per year abroad.
Edited by TasMan: 30/04/2019 - 22:05

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.