Poss loose connection? DIY fix?

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 03/10/2019 - 20:47
The Sigma 24-70mm has decided when in portrait composition to start saying F- on screen and then if it takes an image it's then overexposed. Flip the camera back into landscape orientation and it goes away! Seems to be when the camera is held upright.

Tried other lenses and no dramas so I think it's the lens and not the camera body itself. I've cleaned the contacts also to make sure it wasn't anything as simple as that but it didn't effect anything.

Wondering if it's a DIY fix or if it needs to go to Sigma?

Thanks
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Mike-P

Link Posted 03/10/2019 - 21:11
Check the screws on the mount are tight. They quite often work loose on Sigma lenses (no idea why).
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Helpful

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 03/10/2019 - 21:27
Will do. I have an electrical screwdriver set in work so I'll bring them home and check the screws. Will update tomorrow ....!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

alfpics

Link Posted 03/10/2019 - 21:32
I have sometimes had the F show and it has just taken a twist of the lens fully into the lock position (if that makes sense). My guess, if that is the case for you, is that going portrait allows the lens to move slightly so the contacts don't quite align.
Andy

Helpful

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 05/10/2019 - 21:51
So tried the screws and all tight! Gave the contacts another good wipe over and when I tried portrait orientation shooting I had no issues!

Lets hope I'm not talking too soon but could this be problem solved!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

alfpics

Link Posted 05/10/2019 - 22:30
cardiffgareth wrote:
So tried the screws and all tight! Gave the contacts another good wipe over and when I tried portrait orientation shooting I had no issues!

Lets hope I'm not talking too soon but could this be problem solved!

Let's hope so!
Andy

Helpful

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 08/10/2019 - 19:12
Update
Was out last night with it and in portrait mode my issues reappeared. Got it home and checked the 3 screws and all were super tight. It does seem to have a millimeter of play on the body when when I looked this play with in the aperture ring so when the aperture is locked into A, I can wiggle the lens about a millimeter to bring up the F- on screen but wiggle it back the other way and we're back in the game,
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

redbusa99

Link Posted 09/10/2019 - 11:19
looking at Sigma service tarrif it would be around 110 for repair Gareth. had my 17-70 done by them for 95, it is in a lower price band than your 24-70 f2.8. it had the image stabiliser replaced and came back looking like new. was away 3 wweeks .
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr
Last Edited by redbusa99 on 09/10/2019 - 11:20

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 13/10/2019 - 08:06
Thanks Joe

Trying to convince the wife I should of done that upgrade and it's still not too late
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

redbusa99

Link Posted 13/10/2019 - 09:42
good luck with that if you have one like me that just does not understand the needs of the photographer and LBA
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 17/10/2019 - 10:56
So I called Sigma today and spoke with the service department. They think the A pin over time can get worn and this gives the F- error on screen. When I enquired about a price to repair he said they don't repair these lenses anymore and to go to an independent repairer and also they don't even have Pentax mounts there in the service department

Worrying if that means now then that if your lens develops a fault with the mount then you're screwed
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Benz3ne

Link Posted 17/10/2019 - 11:33
cardiffgareth wrote:
So I called Sigma today and spoke with the service department. They think the A pin over time can get worn and this gives the F- error on screen. When I enquired about a price to repair he said they don't repair these lenses anymore and to go to an independent repairer and also they don't even have Pentax mounts there in the service department

Worrying if that means now then that if your lens develops a fault with the mount then you're screwed

If the A-pin has only worn (I'm imagining the height of the pin receding), is there any way to build it back up again even if only temporary? I'd not like to suggest soldering or a conductive paste but perhaps a less 'risky' method might be available?

Helpful

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 17/10/2019 - 11:53
Benz3ne wrote:
cardiffgareth wrote:

If the A-pin has only worn (I'm imagining the height of the pin receding), is there any way to build it back up again even if only temporary? I'd not like to suggest soldering or a conductive paste but perhaps a less 'risky' method might be available?

Pass! I'll call an independent repairer later if anyone has anyone they could recommend?

That or its eBay time!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Mike-P

Link Posted 17/10/2019 - 17:12
As far as I am aware your 24-70mm is about 3 generations behind their current version. I know that Canon don't service/carry parts for any of their lenses once they have been replaced by something more up to date and they are more than 5? years old so it's not just Sigma.

I think Alan Marlow my be winding down for retirement but worth contacting him. LINK
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 17/10/2019 - 17:44
Thanks Mike will do. When I spoke with Sigma they didn't ask what model it was when he said they don't keep the Pentax mount in stock any more
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.