My New Pentax-M Zoom

johnriley

Link Posted 19/06/2019 - 07:30

Thanks to pschlute I am now the owner of what is arguably a brand new SMC Pentax-M 75-150mm f/4 zoom and if not brand new then certainly in gorgeous, glowing condition.

The picture shows the new lens centre stage, along with the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm f/3.5 and the current HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm. At the time of its release it didn't seem so compact, but from today's perspective it's positively tiny.

I'd like the opportunity to take its picture alongside the Olympus OM 75-150mm f/4 as these lenses share the significance of being amongst the first zooms that really started to challenge the quality of prime lenses. If anybody can help with that I'd be glad to hear from them.

I'm putting my new lens through its paces at the moment, so watch this space!
Best regards, John

pschlute

Link Posted 19/06/2019 - 09:08
Looking forward to the review John.
Peter

My Flickr page

davidwozhere

Link Posted 23/06/2019 - 02:01
There is always the very first zoom that Pentax produced .... the gigantic f4.5, 70-150, (with the extra close-up lens that many say was mentioned in the blurb but was never actually produced). I've got one and boy is it a whopper. And it does have an additional 'close up' lens that is hidden inside the lid of the carry case. You want some photos of it?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

pschlute

Link Posted 26/06/2019 - 00:16
Just read the review John. I must say I was impressed with the results, which for a 40 year old zoom lens are very very good.

As a collector of the M series lenses I do use the primes a lot more than the zooms. On the back of your review i might just give the zooms an outing or two
Peter

My Flickr page

MaxP00

Link Posted 18/10/2019 - 20:50
davidwozhere wrote:
There is always the very first zoom that Pentax produced .... the gigantic f4.5, 70-150, (with the extra close-up lens that many say was mentioned in the blurb but was never actually produced). I've got one and boy is it a whopper. And it does have an additional 'close up' lens that is hidden inside the lid of the carry case. You want some photos of it?

This very first zoom is one of the favorite aspects that I like. The additional close up lens is also useful.
mybkexperience uptodown

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/10/2019 - 18:54
The M75-150 F4 is a favourite of mine! Beautiful build and just the right size for easy handling on a DSLR. I've not experienced its full edge performance of course, but reports from the film era were always very positive I believe.

The push pull zoom action is a bit counterintuitive to start with, and is easy to let slip especially if you're tweaking focus and aperture at the same time! What with stop down metering going on all together there's a lot to think about, but its a great more physical experience than we get with automatic lenses, and keeps us on our toes in managing focus, composition and exposure.

Here's a link to my most unusual image taken with the lens ... https://www.pentaxuser.com/images/comment_pictures/15546/15546_1425689329.jpg
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

pschlute

Link Posted 20/10/2019 - 19:34
Nice framing Nigel.
Peter

My Flickr page
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.