Portrait night

pschlute

Link Posted 01/05/2017 - 21:45
Experimenting again with flash...this time with both guns off camera fired by Cactus radio triggers. K1 + FA*85mm F1.4

Peter

My Flickr page

LennyBloke

Link Posted 01/05/2017 - 21:47
Superb
LennyBloke

JAK

Link Posted 01/05/2017 - 22:36
The off camera flash gives them a very natural lighting look, particularly for no. 2. No. 1 might be a bit too back lit, at least it looks that way on my monitor. Could the shadow detail be brought out a bit unless it was the intention to be quite dark?
John K

pschlute

Link Posted 01/05/2017 - 22:58
[quote:3496ace15f="JAK" No. 1 might be a bit too back lit, at least it looks that way on my monitor. Could the shadow detail be brought out a bit unless it was the intention to be quite dark?[/quote]

I did a number of shots at varying exposures, ambient and flash , and prefered the darker picture. But there is plenty of shadow detail on my monitor on all of his face except the 9-oclock position immediately next to his nose.
Peter

My Flickr page

JAK

Link Posted 01/05/2017 - 23:05
They can certainly look different depending on how the monitor is set up.
John K

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 18:57
Yes that first one is certainly very ....'canine noir' ...(that's the well known trendy light technique used by the pros who photograph the dogs of stars! )

The rim light works very well in both Peter. It's great you've got those flashes off camera all up and running. I've forgotten, have you got V6IIs or the original type?

I find it difficult enough to keep my small human models in the right place with off-camera flashes ....I imagine a dog must he even more of a challenge! ...(or maybe not!).
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 02/05/2017 - 18:58

derek897

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 19:25
LennyBloke wrote:
Superb

As above. Super, both work well for me.
I enjoy seeing your shots.

Derek
I know what i like, If not always why.

pschlute

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 20:38
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Nigel, I splashed out on three V6 II triggers which arrived late last week. As my only previous experience was optical triggering with one flash on the camera this is all very new, but i can see already the huge advantage of being able to adjust individual or both flashes power output (and zoom) from my shooting position.

Yes, my models may not charge high fees (a few "gravy bone" biscuits), but the downside is they basically do what they damn well please. The two photos here were quite accidental in that they both got fed up with being photographed facing the lighting and decided instead to look out the window. I realised I had a backlighting/rim lighting oportunity without having to move the lights and luckily there was just enough window light to illuminate the faces although i had to open the aperture a few stops to take advantage.
Peter

My Flickr page

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 21:01
They're not cheap, but those latest Cactus triggers are very handy and I think easy to control things with. I'll be picking your brains about how things work when the promised firmware update arrives bringing P-TTL metering along as well! Then you really will have the best of both worlds ....

For now you can count yourself in amongst the 'real strobists' !!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

pschlute

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 21:45
Ok two more pictures from tonight, this time more "traditional" portraits I guess.

I used a 60cm*60cm softbox with AF540 mark II to the camera's left at about a 45 degree angle to little Ripley and slightly above, angled down as my main light. I used a AF360 mark I with a Gary Fong diffuser and an old Bowens type reflector dish immediately to the camera's right to provide a little fill to the right hand side of the image (his left).

Do you think i have used enough power for the fill ?

Do you think the reflector dish is a good or bad idea for the fill?

Really appreciate the feedback.

Peter

My Flickr page

SteveF

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 23:35
All four shots are lovely, but the last two are gorgeous. Keep up the good work.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 03/05/2017 - 01:36
Well, according to Nigel, you've got canine noir stars - whatever you might say about them! Super shots.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

McGregNi

Link Posted 03/05/2017 - 10:46
SteveF wrote:
All four shots are lovely, but the last two are gorgeous. Keep up the good work.

Yes, I think so too! Clearly you are well cut out for all this flash work Peter, and your model here seems to be relishing it too .....

It's a very subtle fill effect from your AF-360, and really this is a personal creative choice, there's no right or wrong. For me it's a bit underpowered, I'd like to see more revealed of the dogs left side, but you have created a strong contrasty side light effect (but without it being hard) ... And it works well with the deep tones of your subjects coloring..... I'd think this would look good for a dark skinned human model too.

The catch light from the softbox is not on the left (offside) eye .... This is unusual, and must be the result of the more pronounced nose bones than found with human models. So the main light is more abruptly cut off here than we would normally see, leaving most of the offside work to your fill light.

I'm not sure if this a good or bad thing? Others may have ideas too. Normally the main light will create a spread of coverage across the face, so if you wanted that then the angle will have to reduce, coming from nearer to the front, or the subject has to turn to face the softbox. In any case it would be interesting to see the different effects if you were able to try it and had enough patience left from your willing model!

I don't know about your Bowens and Fong things without seeing them ..... The catch light suggests they are still a fairly small light source, so fairly hard light. The other thing to try for fill is a white reflective umbrella set up just above the camera position facing downward (so the flash is just above your head level). This will fill in the whole subject and allow a more extreme angle for the main light without creating too dark and abrupt shadows.

I set up a portrait session at home recently and after photographic the baby and my wife a bit, I got my wife to shoot a few of me, one of which I used for my new avatar image here on the forum..... Have a close look, it uses a main softbox light coming from the classic position (like yours) although from the right ..... The fill light is simply the on camera bare direct flash set to 'master' .... The camera was a little raised and it's just filled in everything, albeit at a low level (I had a ratio of 1/3rd and minus 0.7 stops on that fill flash).

So even direct on fill can work if the main light is strongly directional and the balance is quite wide apart.

pschlute

Link Posted 03/05/2017 - 11:27
Thanks so much for the feedback Nigel, you have given me a few good things to consider. The tip about being able to see the size of the fill light in the catchlight reflection is a good one.

I guess it is all about experimentation and seeing what i think works best.

Regarding catchlights, when two are formed as in Ripley's right eye in the last two pictures, would you ever consider photoshopping one out ? I guess again there is no "right" answer.
Peter

My Flickr page

Algernon

Link Posted 03/05/2017 - 12:41
pschlute wrote:

Regarding catchlights, when two are formed as in Ripley's right eye in the last two pictures, would you ever consider photoshopping one out ? I guess again there is no "right" answer.

An old "Rule of Thumb" with catchlights is that there should only be ONE in each eye. So remove the other one. I would also be tempted to clone the one in the right eye over to the left, purely because the left one looks too small.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.