Portrait lens consideration.
Posted 28/10/2010 - 20:51
Link
looks to me like you got it covered unless you want to swap out that tamron 90 for the pentax 100 macro....
all I got is the 50 1.4, 100 macro and 16-45......
oh yeah, I get results...

oh yeah, I got the 28-70 f4 and 85 2.2 soft as well...
all I got is the 50 1.4, 100 macro and 16-45......
oh yeah, I get results...

oh yeah, I got the 28-70 f4 and 85 2.2 soft as well...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 28/10/2010 - 20:52
Link
Joining the Q
Posted 28/10/2010 - 20:57
Link
Does it need to be auto focus?
there are some very fine Vogtländer and Carl Zeiss lenses as well you know
there are some very fine Vogtländer and Carl Zeiss lenses as well you know
Posted 28/10/2010 - 20:58
Link
with my eyes, yes AF is preferred as I want that all important eye pin sharp anvh
Some Cameras
Posted 28/10/2010 - 21:00
Link
Very tempting hefty1 as it would fit my Praktica too.....
But I am really looking for AF due to my stupid eyes needing glasses.....
But I am really looking for AF due to my stupid eyes needing glasses.....
Some Cameras
Posted 28/10/2010 - 21:39 - Helpful Comment
Link
I think you should go and get a FA 77mm F1.8 Limited then.
The DA70 doesn't make much sense with f/2.4 while you've a DA*50-135 f/2.8
Sigma 85mm F1.4 is on the longest side but if you like that that isn't a problem.
Btw a 85mm is close to 135mm in equivalent on digital you know
DA* 55mm F1.4 probably the best one for digital but doesn't work for film
there is also a FA 50 f/1.4 you know, works on both very well, it's only slightly under the DA*55 in terms off performance.
The DA70 doesn't make much sense with f/2.4 while you've a DA*50-135 f/2.8
Sigma 85mm F1.4 is on the longest side but if you like that that isn't a problem.
Btw a 85mm is close to 135mm in equivalent on digital you know
DA* 55mm F1.4 probably the best one for digital but doesn't work for film
there is also a FA 50 f/1.4 you know, works on both very well, it's only slightly under the DA*55 in terms off performance.
Posted 28/10/2010 - 21:58
Link
Thanks Anvh.
I already have the FA50, so, like you say the DA*55 won't give much more than I already have.
As for the DA70, I think you are right, a very minor increase in speed over my DA* is nothing much. It's only advantage is its size.
So, now to find a good price 77mm
I already have the FA50, so, like you say the DA*55 won't give much more than I already have.
As for the DA70, I think you are right, a very minor increase in speed over my DA* is nothing much. It's only advantage is its size.
So, now to find a good price 77mm
Some Cameras
Posted 29/10/2010 - 04:24
Link
Just buy the FA77. PF is there but is not a problem.
I too sweated the purchase of this lens, since it blew my budget to the other side of the galaxy. I have never for one moment regretted it. It is the last lens I would sell.
I too sweated the purchase of this lens, since it blew my budget to the other side of the galaxy. I have never for one moment regretted it. It is the last lens I would sell.
Posted 29/10/2010 - 07:24
Link
I think you seem to be pretty well covered, most of my studio portrait work seems to be at 50mm and f6.7; not by design it has just turned out that way.


Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



1172 posts
17 years
UK
Now, I have come into a little bit of money, so I am considering getting a prime lens to suit my needs for portrait (I do a lot of portraits for the local theatre, work etc) so I am considering a dedicated portrait prime.
Now I have always hankered for a Limited prime, and the FA-77 limited would be very nice to have. However I already have a number of lenses that can (and are good at) doing portraiture, namely the following:-
SMC-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 SDM
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
SMC-FA 50mm F1.4
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX macro
Tamron 90mm F2.5 SP Macro
SMC-K 55mm F1.8
Takumar 135mm F2.5
The last three are manual only which can be a pain. But at least it slows you down.
Now, the conundrum.
FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
Pros - Fast, can be used on my MZ-5n too, its a limited.
Cons - PF I hear is a problem on digital.
DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
Pros - small, cheaper than the FA, designed for digital.
cons - can't be used on my MZ-5n(it needs an aperture ring) will it give me much more than my Sigma at 70mm or DA* at 70mm?
Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG
Pros - very fast, designed for digital, motor drive
cons - MF only on my MZ-5n, its not a limited. quite large really (but compared to the DA*, a lot smaller)
SMC-DA* 55mm F1.4
Pros - DA*, eqv fov of 85mm, motor drive, designed for digital, weather sealing
cons - not for film, I already have a manual 55mm, AND 50mm F1.4
There is a third option, but which would mean no limited or dedicated portrait lens, but means getting the K-5 in a few months when the price drops.
I think it comes down to more control of DOF, as Studio work you are shooting at F8-F11, and the DA* 50-135mm is in a class of its own in the studio, but having a smallish prime for available light, the others might more be suitable (or do I already have what I need?)
What would you do?