Portrait backdrops?

Goliath_UK

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 14:56
Afternoon all -

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced portable portrait background frame/fabric etc? It's not for heavy professional use, my better half is starting a new venture and needs some decent portraits doing where there may not be a blank wall etc.

TIA,
John

"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"

My Flickr
My PPG Entries

terje-l

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 15:45
You wouldn't have a spare white projection screen handy? Big enough for head-and-shoulder portraits, and has a built-in stand. Easy to transport and set up.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

pentaxian450

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 16:18
terje-l wrote:
You wouldn't have a spare white projection screen handy?

I find them too reflective to use as backdrop. It's next to impossible to light them evenly without nasty reflexions.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Don

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 16:29
really big collapsable reflectors, the 5-in-1 variety are really easy....
you could also consider some abs plumbing pipe and connectors and a sheet/curtian set up... if you want DYI...
or if you got lightstands, a piece of curtian rod or bamboo and some curtians....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Mannesty

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 16:53
Vinyl backcloth, and support.

You might need a couple of rubber door stops as well to stop the backcloth from unrolling completely. The cloth is supplied on an aluminium tube. This slides on to the support crossbar, but there is nothing to stop the ali tube from turning on the support so the weight of the backdrop unrolls it all.

I don't have one myself but my son just bought this kit.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 23/02/2011 - 16:55

Helpful

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 16:57
I previously have used a Bed-sheet. Non Reflective, wide range of colours, sizes and easy to transport and to put up. Always have a roll of Gaffa Tape handy when I use it to hang up the sheet where the lighting is best.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 17:33
cardiff_gareth wrote:
I don't use gaffa tape but a proper stand as gaffa tape can damage paint on walls and if the wall doesn't belong to you but the client then its not going to go down well

True DO NOT USE GAFFA TAPE, I got the name mixed up and Gaffa just came to mind (Thanks Gareth!).
Just looked up the roll I got (as it is very easy to remove and will not damage any surface) it is actually called 'Mepore'.
I get it from Pharmacies as it is used as a fabric dressing. Its cheaper then proper Gaffa Tape as well.
Sorry for the confusion here. My fault!
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 17:41
You can also use Micropore tape the same way
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Snootchies

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 18:25
I use a black and white shower curtain:

Cost me 7.50 each and since it behaves as a curtain - It's really handy to flip between black or white.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

Helpful

Snootchies

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 21:16
cardiff_gareth wrote:
This was a handy thread for you Bob, I saw that shot in your Flickr a few days ago!

T'was indeed
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Last Edited by Snootchies on 23/02/2011 - 21:16

terje-l

Link Posted 24/02/2011 - 09:44
pentaxian450 wrote:
I find them too reflective to use as backdrop. It's next to impossible to light them evenly without nasty reflexions.

I have a reversible projection screen, silver and white, and the white side has a quite matte finish. Not very reflective.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

Goliath_UK

Link Posted 24/02/2011 - 09:46
Many thanks for the suggestions chaps
John

"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"

My Flickr
My PPG Entries

Don

Link Posted 24/02/2011 - 12:33
when in doubt, go without.
anything can be a backdrop.
try using a cookie Cucoloris and a gel to project a pattern on any wall or surface..

(and yes, those that know me prolly guessed that I found that by mistake because I'm dyslexic and was googling dirty words...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 24/02/2011 - 12:35
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.