portable studio lighting

texasphotographer

Link Posted 06/02/2010 - 23:04
...so im looking for the most lowest cost option for portable strobe lighting. i only need maybe two monolights at the most for on location photoshoots, and me being the pentax user that refuses to switch to canon or nikon...my options seem limited here in the US. Any suggestions?

Anvh

Link Posted 06/02/2010 - 23:18
Hi welcome to the forum, if you're going to use mono block you can use any one you like since it's the trigger that's important and since you only use the middle contact that's the same on Canon, Nikon or Pentax you can use everything really.

One question is how portable do you want them, do you need to bring your own electricity?
I'm no expert but I know the experts would want to know that

If you've some normal flashguns, you can of course consider the strobist way. Most modern flashguns with high guide numbers are just as powerful as a 200 watt monoblock and you're very portable then.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

George Lazarette

Link Posted 07/02/2010 - 00:09
In a studio, use manual flash.

With time, you can find Pentax AF500-FTZ units on Ebay or elsewhere for not too much money, and they are the best bet for Pentax cameras.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

bretti_kivi

Link Posted 07/02/2010 - 09:06
mpex does the lumopro LP120. If you want truly portable, that's the way to go.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

garry

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 11:17
I think you have to search from the Google regarding lowest price
Professional Photography Kits

Don

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 14:38
texasphotographer wrote:
...so im looking for the most lowest cost option for portable strobe lighting. i only need maybe two monolights at the most for on location photoshoots, and me being the pentax user that refuses to switch to canon or nikon...my options seem limited here in the US. Any suggestions?

buy big names, buy used. for every ten new "photography" businesses you see popping up there will be five or ten other "going out of business sales".

you'll probably get some extras thrown in as well.
the main advantage with systems, is the range of accessories and light modifiers, so why go with a new cheap set of limited range and questionable build quality, when there are great buys for elinchrom, prophoto and other big name systems going cheap used?
make sure it works and you'll get both quality and affordable prices.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 23/04/2010 - 14:47

gartmore

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 17:50
Take a look at Quantum, made in the USA too. Expensive but superb.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.