Pop-up flash diffusers

Dr. Mhuni
Posted 07/12/2010 - 12:34 Link
Anyone have experience of variants of these - and if so can they recommend one?
Mhuni

500px
thoughton
Posted 07/12/2010 - 14:04 Link
There might be some good ones out there (e.g. the Lumiquest one ), I don't know, but I received one included with my used K20D, and it isn't very good In theory and in the flesh, it looks like it would do some good, but looking at the resulting photos I struggle to tell the difference with it on and off.

The one I have looks like a translucent white plastic radar dish, about 10cm x 5cm, with a W-shaped plastic bracket which attaches to the hotshoe (Edit: it looks identical to this this one).
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 07/12/2010 - 14:05
Don
Posted 07/12/2010 - 15:18 Link
I tried the old slot cut into a film canister trick way back.

Pretty much useless.

you will get best results using other, bigger light sources, and the on camera flash as "on axis fill" to reduce shadows giving the illusion of softer light.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
CoDa
Posted 07/12/2010 - 15:28 Link
I used one of these from here

Seems to work OK

Regards
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)


[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
alexfilipov
Posted 07/12/2010 - 15:53 Link
Thumbs up for the one that Weldingblues posted - I have the same and it works OK, especially at parties.

You have to be careful not to rotate the camera too much, though, it slips away on my K-x.
thoughton
Posted 07/12/2010 - 19:37 Link
Yeah the one weldingblues posted looks like a lumiqyest one, gets decent reviews.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 08/12/2010 - 05:26 Link
Thanks for the feedback all - and the link Colin. At £1.99 that's definitely worth a punt, even if the results aren't dramatic.

I was considering that other type you linked Tim, so good to get your assessment of this. I checked out your Microglobe link. If their website is up to date they have some interesting lenses at a decent price (eg. new FA50s for £250). I got my FA35 from them ages ago - and this is still in stock apparently (£300). Though I recall from other posts here that their stock consists of grey imports. Still, if the price is right - though as has been demonstrated once again with the K5, buying from SRS is generally preferable.

Microglobe might have to revisit their DSLR pricing - how do you fancy a K10D + DA16-45 at just £1,200?
Mhuni

500px
scathontiphat
Posted 08/12/2010 - 23:12 Link
I think those are a waste of time. Can you guys really see a difference with them? i built one just to play around with and the difference was minimal.

However i did have good results with holding a small plastic travel mirror, or white card in front of the pop-up flash and bouncing off the ceiling. Though it's a battery killer, it does work pretty well. they sell fancy brackets to do this, but it's easy enough, cheaper, and i would think more convenient, to just hold it there with your hand
Pentaxophile
Posted 08/12/2010 - 23:26 Link
I have tried bits of paper (business card, receipts... rizlas) with OK results too. Works with compact cameras as well - rizlas that can be stuck on and folded to the desired angle work well there!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo