Congrats Pete Smith

Poll Results
Should I contact the RCMP ask them to set this guy up?
YES? 50% 50%[4]
NO? 0% 0%[0]
YES? 50% 50%[4]
NO? 0% 0%[0]
Total Votes : 8

Don

Link Posted 13/05/2007 - 14:22
Here's an Email I got today...hmmn, sounds like a scam to me.

Quote:
Peter Smith <peter_smith6890@yahoo.ca>
Subject:
Photographer Needed Urgently
Date:
May 13, 2007 02:46:39 AM CDT
To:

Good day,
My name is peter Smith i am based in United Kingdom and my wife to be is based in canada i am preparing for my wedding ceremony all i need is a photographer who we can booked an apointment with in canada and who will be able to make it without any disappointment so Sir/Ma i will be glad if you can attend to this wedding of me and my darling wife which is to come up very soon.
Thanks for your understanding and i will be very glad to receive a good reply from you.....
Regards as i will be awaiting your swift response...
Peter
Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers.

Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 13/05/2007 - 14:33
Don wrote:
Here's an Email I got today...hmmn, sounds like a scam to me.

Quote:
Peter Smith <peter_smith6890@yahoo.ca>
Subject:
Photographer Needed Urgently
Date:
May 13, 2007 02:46:39 AM CDT
To:

Good day,
My name is peter Smith i am based in United Kingdom and my wife to be is based in canada i am preparing for my wedding ceremony all i need is a photographer who we can booked an apointment with in canada and who will be able to make it without any disappointment so Sir/Ma i will be glad if you can attend to this wedding of me and my darling wife which is to come up very soon.
Thanks for your understanding and i will be very glad to receive a good reply from you.....
Peter
Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers.

No, No,

This is definitely forum member Mannesty, who has just moved to Spain and is obviously on the move again.

I am sure everybody will join me in congratulating him on getting married again at his time of life (what can she be thinking of?).

And I am not surprised that he chose you, Don. Mind you, he probably has his eye on your liquor cabinet, so be careful there.

Cheers

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Classvino

Link Posted 13/05/2007 - 14:38
I'd start stocking the liquor cabinet just in case...

It won't go bad...

(Try a couple of the Maple ones...)
--------------
MZ-6,K10D,K20D,Grip,DA*Zooms,DA 18-55-200 Kit,FA50,1.7TC,AFZ360
For Saleentax FA28-90,FA100-300,Sigma EX28-80,DC18-200,
Makinon 500mm Mirror

Ammonyte

Link Posted 13/05/2007 - 23:05
If he is based in the UK why does he have a .ca email address? Or am I taking this too literally?
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

Mongoose

Link Posted 13/05/2007 - 23:07
and why is he refering to the woman he intends to marry as his Wife? surely that should be fiance?

Ammonyte

Link Posted 13/05/2007 - 23:11
Come to think of it, he should eat his own dog food:

"Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers."
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

LiamD

Link Posted 14/05/2007 - 07:27
Hi Don,

The phraseology seems a little too Nigerian to me..

I just checked a couple of phrases into Google, and it's not an email that's doing the rounds though, or not yet anyway.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

Mannesty

Link Posted 14/05/2007 - 08:25
I certainly didn't send it. My wife would never let me marry again.

Good luck with the shoot Don ! ! !
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

MattMatic

Link Posted 14/05/2007 - 09:23
I seem to remember there were a some "photographer scams" that were reported in the ePhotozine forums... can't quite remember the details of them though...
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Mongoose

Link Posted 14/05/2007 - 09:28

kerika

Link Posted 18/05/2007 - 18:32
These are the emails I received from the same address. I wouldn't travel anywhere to do a wedding without first meeting people. I didn't realize that this was a scam, but I did call my brother and ask him if he was playing a practical joke on me.

This guy keeps answering the email.. what is he getting out of doing this? I'm really glad someone posted this on a forum, otherwise how would you know?

--C

hello,
Well i have seen some of your work nad i really like it that is why i want you to be there so i am ready to pay for the espenses all i want is a good work so kindly get back to me asap...

(took out my email) wrote:
Hi Peter,

I still think you need to be looking for a photographer from British Columbia. Id have to fly there from Newfoundland and that alone would be very expensive.

C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:20 AM
To: (took out my email)
Subject: RE: Photographer Needed Urgently

Hello,
How are you doing today,
Well i will like to inform you that the wedding will Now coming up on the 14th of July at Echo Valley Hall Vancouver British Columbia Canada and i will like to tell you the moment that you will be capturing and this are as follows:
1.Officiating ministers
2.The choir
3.Bridal Train
4.Bridal Parent
5.Groom Parent
6.The parent
7.Bride's Family
8.Groom's Family
9.Bride's and Groom family
10.Bride's relative
11.Grooms's Relatives
12.Friends of Bride parent
13.Friends of Grooms Parent
14.Bride's Friends
15.Grooms parents
16.Companions
17.Staff of the Bride's and Groom
18.Friends of the Family
19.Chief Brides maid and Best Man
20.couple Alone
21.Bride Alone
So i will also like to tell you that the wedding will be starting at 12pm and it will last for 3 hours so i will like you to get back to me with your price...
Thanks for your understanding...
Regards...

Hi Peter,

Im actually located in Newfoundland, Canada. You probably are looking for a photographer a little closer to where you are getting married? Im literally on the other side of Canada from BC.

C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 3:58 AM
To: (took out my email)
Subject: RE: Photographer Needed Urgently

Hello,
How are you doing today?
Well i really appreciate your reply.i will like to tell you that my wedding will be coming up in the second week on June which is the second saturday of june...The wedding will be coming up in British Columbia Canada vancouver to be precise so i need a six hours coverage which will be from the church to the reception...
So i will like you to get back to me with the price of this so that we can know the next procedure....
Thanks for your understanding...
Regards

Hi Peter,

When is your wedding and where?

C

Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:10 AM
Subject: Photographer Needed Urgently

Good day,

Peter

Don

Link Posted 18/05/2007 - 19:43
you'll find a sudden increase in those stock phishing scams also. I think the scammers are using one of those photographer registry sites to locate victims (wedj.com in my case).
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Mongoose

Link Posted 19/05/2007 - 00:39
according to what I have read the scam works thus:

They convince you to come photograph their "Wedding"

They send you a cheque for well in excess of your fee, asking you to wire the remainder to a "wedding planner" or some other person involved with the "Wedding"

the bank initially clears the cheque, so you wire the money. About 2 weeks later the bank figures out the cheque was bogus but by this time the fraudsters have scarpered with several grand of your hard earned cash.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.