Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Plastic Batter Cover

Frogherder
Posted 17/01/2012 - 10:09 Link
Hi All,

When I had my K10D from new the battery came with a plastic terminal cover. The spare battery also, so carrying a spare didn't come with fears of shorting it out against keys etc.

My K5 battery did not, nor did a spare battery.

Never mind I thought I'll use the extra one I have from the K10D-- no chance, they're different.

So does any one know where I can get a plastic terminal cover for a K5 battery, or would I better looking for hens teeth and just keep the spare battery in a plastic bag

regards
Bernard
dougf8
Posted 17/01/2012 - 10:49 Link
I cut out a plastic milk bottle and wrapped it with electrical tape. Made a snug fitting slip on cover.
Lurking is shirking.!
Gwyn
Posted 17/01/2012 - 10:59 Link
I think the K-5 battery doesn't come with a cover because the terminals are positioned differently.

I carry one spare in the unplugged charger and the other goes into a pocket in my bag on it's own, assuming I am carrying them both.

Officially they must have the terminals covered for flying, but I haven't done that. Might try and make up a cover for them though if I can find some suitable plastic.
ChrisR
Posted 17/01/2012 - 11:01 Link
Hi Bernard.

If you cant find anything better, could I suggest one of the small self seal type freezer food bags.
Would serve the purpose until you could find something better.

I have both K10 & K5 batteries, so I will search my workshop/garage, to see if I can find something better,
as I have boxes of what I call equipment, that may be useful one day, the wife’s definition, boxes of rubbish, they just don’t understand.

If I do find something I will put up another post.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
Frogherder
Posted 17/01/2012 - 12:20 Link
Thanks all,

I can "bodge" something together, but was wondering if there was a proper cover available - just seems penny pincing when you consider the cost of the battery

My wife says that there's nothing wrong with my garage that a good skip couldn't cure

Quote:
if I can find some suitable plastic

I find the plastic lids of icecream tubs (Walls in particular) are jolly useful for making up odds and ends and being white very useful for flash diffusers

Bernard
Edited by Frogherder: 17/01/2012 - 12:20
dougf8
Posted 17/01/2012 - 20:37 Link
FWIW e.g. cost near zero, time 3 minutes.
Plastic milk bottle.
Comment Image
Lurking is shirking.!
Edited by dougf8: 17/01/2012 - 20:38
bforbes
Posted 17/01/2012 - 21:13 Link
I use one of the plastic bags the banks use for coins
Opethian
Posted 17/01/2012 - 21:16 Link
Cheers dougf8!
Frogherder
Posted 17/01/2012 - 23:26 Link
I've started to make a wooden jig to produce moulded versions. Milk bottle plastic melts at about 150 deg C so whilst SWMBO is out I'll experiment with the oven.

Pour the melt into the female part of the mould, press down the male part, and with a bit of luck - hey presto.

I'll keep you posted

Bernard

OK I know it's a bit over the top, but I like the challenge and who knows
Algernon
Posted 18/01/2012 - 08:10 Link
I wonder if they stopped supplying these to cut down on the
use of plastic

Some jobsworth has probably calculated that one battery cover
uses as much plastic as 3 carrier bags

Probably overlooked that if the contacts get shorted out it
can cause a serious fire! and get dumped in landfill
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Gwyn
Posted 18/01/2012 - 09:14 Link
I honestly think it is because of the placement of the contacts. No battery maker seems to supply a plastic cover for them, whereas most do for the K-20D battery.

Since we don't have plastic milk bottles, or ice cream tubs, I shall use a couple of small ziplock bags next month for my spares just to keep security happy at the airport.
Algernon
Posted 18/01/2012 - 09:20 Link
I've bought cheap K-20D batteries that haven't had any covers.

A piece of masking or electric tape would do at a push.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Frogherder
Posted 18/01/2012 - 09:24 Link
Post your address Gwyn and I'm sure we'll all send you a plastic bottle

Then you'll be able to follow Blue Peter as well (do they still do that, or did it all stop with Val Singleton?)

Bernard
dougf8
Posted 18/01/2012 - 09:47 Link
Helen Skelton might not have time to snip a bit of plastic. She can be found kayaking down the amazon or kite skiing/ cycling to the South Pole.

We put people in space but can't get a decent battery cover!
Lurking is shirking.!
ChrisR
Posted 18/01/2012 - 10:40 Link
Frogherder wrote:
Post your address Gwyn and I'm sure we'll all send you a plastic bottle

Then you'll be able to follow Blue Peter as well (do they still do that, or did it all stop with Val Singleton?)

Bernard

Bernard.

Who in there right mind, would want to be playing with sticky back plastic, if you had, Val Singleton, around, many a school boys fantasy.
Sorry I am just a dirty old git, memory is good though.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.