Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Plastic Batter Cover

BigWilko
Posted 18/01/2012 - 11:41 Link
Maybe, cassette cases could be the solution to the problem. I think that audio cassette tapes might be too thin but camcorder tape cases might be more suitable. Got to be worth a try next time you're rummaging around in your loft
Frogherder
Posted 16/02/2012 - 10:04 Link
For those of you who might just want to know the outcome of this post - read on :-

I spent a short while making what I thought would be a suitable jig.
The came the task of melting some plastic and milk bottles cut up into small bits in a tin can seemed a good idea
Unfortunately even at 280deg C (the max our oven could produce) all I got was a sticky burnt toffee and a smell in the kitchen. Whilst milk bottle plastic apparently melts at about 150 dec C it still doesn't flow.
I did expected something like hot golden syrup that would pour easily.

Not to be deterred I contacted a local plastic moulding company for advise and arranged to go in and see them yesterday. They very kindly spent quite a while trying to help out. For the record, moulding machines work at 240 deg C, but inject at about 30,000psi (if I've remembered the details correctly) so hand filling a mound with hot plastic was always going to be difficult- However the following pics show the outcome.

Its yellow (thats the colour of the material they used) its stiffer than the clear K10D one because I made the female part a bit generous and its therefore thicker. Its a bit of a tight fit beause I hadn't taken into account shrinkage, but better tight than sloppy.

So all in all I'm a happy bunny

Comment Image

Comment Image

Bernard

Before anyone asks - no, I'm not taking orders
bforbes
Posted 16/02/2012 - 10:15 Link
Had you been a Pattern maker in a former life. Looks very neat and well made.
Algernon
Posted 16/02/2012 - 10:20 Link
Clever stuff Bernard now get set up with a wholesaler

Doesn't the K10D plastic holder fit the K-5 battery?
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Frogherder
Posted 16/02/2012 - 11:17 Link
Barrie - No I left school with Chemistry and Woodwork and as working as an undertaker that did his own autopsies didn't really appeal so I went to work in a laboratory and, being skint when I got married, built my own furniture. Now I'm retired I have time to "play" with wood and now make furniture for my son and toys for my grandkids. Cruel irony is that now that I have time and have learnt patience my eyesight is failing

Algi - The plastics man I went to see yesterday asked how many I wanted and happily was prepared to "play", to make me what I wanted. The machine uses heated steel dies which cost thousands to make so unless you need a few hundred thousand - I wouldn't bother.
The K10D and K5 batteries are different (at least mine are). The K10Ds is a bit like 2xAAs side by side with one flat surface and a groove on the top. The K5 is flat both sides.

Regards
Bernard
Edited by Frogherder: 16/02/2012 - 11:18
Algernon
Posted 16/02/2012 - 12:57 Link
Just tried a K-5 battery in a K10D cover... it does fit but
springs off possibly due to the valley part that goes between the
AA effect cells. Probably be OK if this was cut off?

Edit: Yep! Took about a minute with an X-Acto
knife... I left some of the curved valley bits in so
that it springs against the K-5 battery. There's no
positive/active clip holding it on, but it should stay
on OK. I might put a small piece of masking tape on it
to be sure

It can still be used on the K10D battery as well.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 16/02/2012 - 13:14
Frogherder
Posted 16/02/2012 - 13:58 Link
I did think of that but as I don't have a spare K10D cover......

Bernard
Gwyn
Posted 16/02/2012 - 14:44 Link
It looks impressive Bernard, but I shall be sticking to the charger for one and a ziplock bag to carry my other spare battery around.
I don't have any old K20D batteries, nor the skill or (more honestly) the inclination to start messing around with plastic.
Mike-P
Posted 16/02/2012 - 14:47 Link
I just half covered my battery in Marzipan ... looks just as good and gives me a tasty mid day snack should I get peckish.
Gwyn
Posted 16/02/2012 - 14:53 Link
Mike-P wrote:
I just half covered my battery in Marzipan ... looks just as good and gives me a tasty mid day snack should I get peckish.

Frogherder
Posted 16/02/2012 - 15:02 Link
You're not bi-polar are you Mike-P?

Actually you've set me thinking again. When he was a kid my son had some green silicone type plastic which he would melt in Bain Marie manner then pour it over things.

The oject was to make a mould he could pour plaster of paris into.

I bet that stuff might work. (and not tempt people to eat it). I wonder where he might have left it (We have a loft full of toys and his cast off belongings, just waiting for the day he says he's got a house with a loft )

Bernard
ChrisR
Posted 16/02/2012 - 15:28 Link
Mike-P wrote:

Mike

You absolutely sure its marzipan and not gelignite, same smell. Not sure about taste.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.