Piccadilly Circus - Night

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 22/10/2019 - 15:03
Further to my comment about No.2...meant to say it reminds me of a giant Zip.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 24/10/2019 - 21:21
Thanks Defragged, Chris, Nigel K, Peter, Rick, Gareth, Phil, Andrew, Martin, Nigel Mc, Karlo, Andy, John and Dan for taking the time and trouble to comment as ever... always useful to hear thoughts...

Nigel K: yes, I've worked off and on near Regent Street a lot over the years, and have always been struck by its shape... was trying to find a way to explore that... no.3 was a bit of both on the luck/judgement front... a bit like ICM, in that I had an idea to use the traffic to create trails to get some movement into the compositions, but wasn't at all sure how it would work out until I started... started to like how the buses worked, in that they left a trail on two levels and almost exactly the same height as the building as they exited frame... also, if they were moving fast enough you could see through trail itself... worked out how long they took to move through the frame, got an exposure length to match it, waited for one to be stuck at a traffic light, with space in front of it to move, and as soon as it set off I tripped the shutter... took a few goes but got there in the end...

In no.4, the movement is again of a bus, but coming pretty much directly towards camera (and headed for Battersea)... liked how it framed the face in the "Jamie" poster behind it, but know it might just be me (it often is...!)... re Thin Blue Line of 8, vsorry, yes, should have explained... funnily enough, that's exactly what it is... it's the Police Memorial on the Mall, which is lit up at night every now and then... was struck by its colour as much as anything else... very striking monument of an evening, though I may not have managed to quite find a way to do it justice...

Gareth, thanks for thoughts re crop on 3... you might well be right... will have a look...

Nigel Mc, yes agreed re the blue in the sky... tended to finish work around 10.30pm, so literally ran out of the door to catch the last shades of blue... sometimes I made it, and others I didn't quite manage to get there in time...

Andy, have one more set of straightish night shots, and will post the ICMs/Multiple Exposures after that probably...

John, the blue thing in 8 is the National Police Monument which is lit up at night (sometimes)... was trying to find a way to catch it - it's very striking in the flesh, but as I mentioned above to Nigel it may well be I haven't quite got it with this... have some ICMs of it though, so will post them in a bit...

Karlo, cheers for thoughts re "Zip"... good spot... hadn't seen that, but absolutely have now...

Thanks again all...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/10/2019 - 12:12
Great set as usual Bill, I struggle to pick out favourites in your selections as they are all so good - but this time No.4 has a real appeal for me - It's so busy, the eye shoots around it from colour to detail to colour, then it settles on the area of motion to the bottom left - Superb, and as I often say - would look great Big
LennyBloke

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 27/10/2019 - 08:21
Thanks John...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Sry

Link Posted 29/10/2019 - 21:44
This is the better of your two night sets for me, Bill (waiting on the ICM's though). I feel they have more of your out of the box visualisation/conception - just a question of personal taste of course... I'm not sure how conscious it might be on your part, but it seems to me a few of these work in pairs: the curves in 2 & 3, the flow of lights in 5 & 6, the 'environmental portraits' of the columns in 9 & 10. 2 & 3 are really grand in their sense of movement/stillness, and 4 is such an embodiment of city night/light/life - what a stunner! 8 is a minimalistic winner for me - I'm thinking there's a lot of detail to be seen in that column (an obelisk I assume?). Fabulous use of light and coulour throughout, as usual.

Sry

Link Posted 29/10/2019 - 22:45
Sry wrote:
(an obelisk I assume?)

Ah, the police monument - I should have re-read the thread. I've no idea what that monument looks like.

K10D

Link Posted 30/10/2019 - 07:40
Another set that has embedded quality and your signature style throughout Bill.

Certainly the second image is, IMO, is a couple of pegs higher than the rest but that comes down to individual preferences.

Great detail, colour and perspective.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 31/10/2019 - 21:47
Thanks Serge and Gary for thoughts re these... much appreciated as ever...

Gary, no 2 was one of those shots I'd been wondering about for a while, and had been trying to find a time to have a go and see how it worked... found it ended up being about how and where to put the vanishing point... pleased with how it turned out...

Serge, thanks for thoughts re pairs... hadn't noticed the relationship between 2 and 3 or 5 and 6 at all, so thanks vmuch for spotting... 8 was something of a puzzler for me... a place I went back to on 3 separate occasions... partly because I found it extremely moving, partly because I found it visually extremely unusual and quite arresting (no pun intended), and partly because I couldn't quite make out how best to photograph it... found it a real challenge... hadn't come across anything quite like it before... ended up taking quite a few minimalist shots, as a) I thought it sort of spoke for itself and b) it's quite incongruous vs its surrounds... and it made an interesting subject for ICM, being made almost entirely of light...

Thanks again both...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.