Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Picasa now Google Pictures

tyronet2000
Posted 01/01/2017 - 11:55 Link
I used to use PICASA for viewing raw images before going any further with them. I liked the slideshow feature. Now PICASA is no more and Google are plugging Google Pictures. I've not looked at this and was wondering if anyone else has and what do people think of this
Regards
Stan

PPG
royd63uk
Posted 01/01/2017 - 11:59 - Helpful Comment Link
i use fastone excellent free programme
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery
SteveEveritt
Posted 01/01/2017 - 12:03 - Helpful Comment Link
Faststone for very quick viewing of images on a memory card to clear out the dross, one click gives you instant 100% view to check for blur and focus accuracy, if out, bin.
Also it'll run on a memory stick without requiring an install very handy.
Flickr
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
wvbarnes
Posted 01/01/2017 - 12:05 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi Stan,

I too had Picasa to store and share my pictures online before Google bought it.

As I am a Gmail user Photos came with it automatically. I use it to share albums with family and friends. I think its jpeg only and I store at the auto reduced size thus giving me unlimited photo space (still full screen and very nice with or without using slideshow. Other wise it's 15 gb including all Google use such as Mail/Gdrive. Galleries are ad free. You can share individually, with a link that can be shared, with or without allowing others to add to (as we do with grandson pics). Photos can also be linked in Google+ and Blogger. I personally also use links from my own family web site at billbarnes.co.uk.

There is no downloadable software now which you may have used for RAW viewing. There is an App for mobile use.

My latest album https://goo.gl/photos/iKwEyRD7hfX4LR2K7

Hope that helps
Edited by wvbarnes: 01/01/2017 - 12:07
wvbarnes
Posted 01/01/2017 - 12:41 - Helpful Comment Link
Offline, there is also the free Windows Photo App that comes with Windows 10 if you have it.
tyronet2000
Posted 01/01/2017 - 13:29 Link
Thanks for the feedback on this. I seem to recall using fastone a while ago so will give it another look. I'd used picasa for so long it was the first choice to view images. I did find the windows picture viewer handy for viewing before and after images side by side. I'm at the start of sorting my images out on to a dedicated drive (there will be a lot to delete too) with a view to learning lightroom so will try the fastone and windows app. I've never been an organised person so wish me luck.
Regards
Stan

PPG
JAK
Posted 01/01/2017 - 14:33 Link
John K
autumnlight
Posted 01/01/2017 - 15:09 Link
Hi Stan i'm still using Picasa 3, i upload all my pictures there mainly to view RAW files and delete if necessary, i like their cropping tool, you say it's no more but i still have it, am i going to lose it? hope not!
Chrism8
Posted 01/01/2017 - 15:30 Link
Hi Maria

I do exactly the same, my understanding is it'll continue to work as a stand alone product, just there won't be any more updates.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
JAK
Posted 01/01/2017 - 15:32 Link
From Google's site:
Picasa should continue to work anywhere it's installed, and you don't need to take any action.
There won't be any more updates to Picasa.
Picasa will no longer be available for download. (from them)
Further details here: https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/6383491?hl=en&visit_id=1-63618880989857...

However, old versions can be downloaded from http://www.oldversion.com/windows/picasa/ and sounds like these will still work, although some functions may not be available, namely
Slideshows embedded on websites.
Picasa Web Albums & photos embedded on websites.
Links to photos, albums, and Public Galleries whose URLs use your username (and not your user ID number).

I've not used Picasa so don't know how restricting those no longer available functions are.
John K
Edited by JAK: 01/01/2017 - 15:34
Mag07
Posted 01/01/2017 - 18:48 Link
I may be awkward but I simply used the default windows viewer? I copy my images from the card to a folder manually. Nowadays, even the max capacity cards take just a couple of minutes to copy; then preview right there in the folder. Only after I sift through the lot, do I import the rest into Lightroom for pp.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
Gwyn
Posted 01/01/2017 - 19:57 Link
I use Irfanview as my default photo viewer. Photoshop Elements has an Organiser section which is what I use to import and sort my photos but to just view them quickly I use Irfanview.

I could use the default Windows viewer but I have always used Irfanview, and can't be bothered to change.

My son shares his photos on Google Pictures, but I put photos I want to share on my website using Koken. I can set who is able to view them too.
autumnlight
Posted 01/01/2017 - 20:47 Link
Chrism8 wrote:
Hi Maria

I do exactly the same, my understanding is it'll continue to work as a stand alone product, just there won't be any more updates.

Well that's good news for me Chris and thank you, i hate change lol
tyronet2000
Posted 02/01/2017 - 09:37 Link
Thanks again for all the replies and sugestions. I have downloaded fastone and tried it and no doubt I will be looking at other programs too. Two things I liked about picasa was their straightening tool and slide show.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Chrism8
Posted 02/01/2017 - 10:00 Link
Morning Stan

A quick google search brought up this if you do wish to use Picasa 3.9, I didn't download it as I already have the software, but I went as far as possible with no problems.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.