Photoshop Elements problem

Gamka

Link Posted 03/07/2013 - 17:50
I have been involved in an exercise to resize a large number of images - some cropped and some not but down to a fixed dimension.

All the images were resized to 960 wide and 200dpi and the JPG Quality set to Maximum/12 - in most cases the file was around 800k.

At that point a Watermark needed to be added to everyimage and it had to be fairly large and a bright colour.

So, I used the

JAK

Link Posted 03/07/2013 - 18:06
http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

Will do everything you want, it's good and it's free!
Batch processing is simple with it too.

Irfanview: http://www.irfanview.com/ can also do what you want but in my opinion the batch processing option isn't so obvious as to how to use it, but it too is good and free.

If you must use Elements, I've never tried batch processing with it, but there's a page about it here: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-batch-process-multiple-files-in-pho...

Watermarks can usually be a text line or a pre-made graphic file, or both.

Hope that helps.

John K
John K

Gamka

Link Posted 03/07/2013 - 18:12
It is easy enough ... all goes smoothly except that it is applying a higher level of compression and loosing quality.

I may have found the solution, or a work around: Tell it to "Convert Files to" and choose the JPG maximum option. Each resulting file is now about 5% larger which with the extra transitions is what I might expect.

JAK

Link Posted 03/07/2013 - 18:19
Can't you go bsck to the original files and let Faststone, Irfanview or Elements do the whole convert in one go, (resize + watermark) then you won't loose the quality decompressing and re-jpeging them for a third time?

Note that Irfanview can crop jpegs without loosing quality with a plug-in

John K
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 03/07/2013 - 18:20

Gamka

Link Posted 03/07/2013 - 18:24
Unfortunately not, different images were different sizes to start and various amounts of cropping needed. It can take a few re-saves - provided all at at max quality. I just want to understand why it decides to re-save at lower quality.

JAK

Link Posted 03/07/2013 - 18:34
I'd have thought you could specify that. Remember that each time you reload a jpeg and resave it it will loose quality. One way may be to work with all the images as bitmaps (.bmp - 8 bits should do or tiff) until you have the final version and when you have that, bulk convert them to jpegs.

John K
John K

Gamka

Link Posted 03/07/2013 - 18:42
I accept the open and resave looses a little, which as I say can be accepted for this exercise, but not saving as low quality/high compression - that really messes up te image.

The images started out in a variety of format - PEF, DNG, BMP & JPG and in all cases sometimes at 1600x1200 and others up at 4000x3000 or so - all over the place. The cropping, and reworks were all carried out at high resolution - upscaled with correct method, work done and then downscaled to the final 960xNNN. Those will be available on a specific portal but a fully watermarked set was also needed (we found out after all the other work!).

JAK

Link Posted 03/07/2013 - 18:52
The only word I can think of is frustration! That Elements 'Dummies' link above suggests you can specify file size and quality, but it will inevitably still lead to a loss of jpeg quality, especially on the reduced size images. Same as if you had a music wav file and kept mp3-ing it several times

John K
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 03/07/2013 - 18:52
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.