Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Photos of Carnival in Venice taken 20 years ago with a Pentax Zoom 105-R

Posted 13/08/2017 - 22:13 Link
These are some of the photos taken by my wife during Carnival in Venice 20 years ago. In Venice we were surrounded by hundreds of professionals laden with SLRs and best lenses money can buy; still – despite being shot with a Pentax Zoom 105-R compact film camera universally recognized as purely amateur piece of equipment - the photos are not inferior to the results of the professionals’ coverage of the event I saw later. You can view the remaining photos from the set at my non-commercial blog:
https://towarzystwonieustraszonychsoczewek.blogspot.com/2017/08/karnawa-w-wenecj...
The post starts in Polish but at the end you will find translation into English.
Best
Jarek
Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
LennyBloke
Posted 13/08/2017 - 22:26 Link
What a great way to introduce yourself to the forum. The photos are excellent and the words in your blog say so much - Excellent
LennyBloke
stub
Posted 13/08/2017 - 22:34 Link
Yep... Cant say they would be any better taken today... Nice post
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
pschlute
Posted 13/08/2017 - 23:07 Link
Great set of photos, that have stood the test of time.
Posted 13/08/2017 - 23:21 Link
Your comments will make my wife proud. I used to be an avid Pentax user. Had a KX. MX, LX (the only one I had no heart to part with), Z-1P (a wonderful camera but very fragile). And Pentax Zoom 105-R, which really surprised me both with the quality of the lens, metering and autofocusing precision and versatility. I am planning a series of write-ups on film cameras at my blog, and a few Pentaxes immediately spring to my mind.
Best
Jarek
AlJones2402
Posted 14/08/2017 - 10:41 Link
Great set of images.
Posted 14/08/2017 - 10:54 Link
On behalf of my wife I want to thank you all for the comments. The images were scanned from quite small prints using a cheap MFD (a Canon - horror, horror!).
alfpics
Posted 14/08/2017 - 11:11 Link
Just to add my appreciation for the photos and as Lenny has said, what a great way to introduce yourself!
Andy
ilovesaabs
Posted 14/08/2017 - 15:32 Link
Great set of pictures, from a great event. Been a regular there for the past few years and it's getting more and more difficult to get great images because of the scrum on Piazza San Marco.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
michaelblue
Posted 14/08/2017 - 15:51 Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
Great set of pictures, from a great event. Been a regular there for the past few years and it's getting more and more difficult to get great images because of the scrum on Piazza San Marco.

If you engage with the people in costume they are very obliging. We went again this year and on more than one occasion there was an idiot wanting their friend to take their photo alongside the 'costume' (with a mobile phone of course!) One person in costume politely moved them on (after posing for them) then pointed to me and posed until I had finished. Most of the time I collect a card from them so I can send them some photos, they are always very grateful.
Regards,
Michael
1stEverPentax
Posted 14/08/2017 - 18:24 Link
Really good Jarek, your wife obviously had an eye for a great composition.

regards

Karlo
Edited by 1stEverPentax: 14/08/2017 - 18:24
Posted 14/08/2017 - 18:31 Link
alfpics wrote:
Just to add my appreciation for the photos and as Lenny has said, what a great way to introduce yourself!

My wife is in bliss.
Thanks
Jarek
Posted 14/08/2017 - 18:43 Link
ilovesaabs wrote:

20 years ago, in pre-smartphone-and-selfie era, some thought that elderly Japanese tourists rushing in all directions to take photos of everything with P&S cameras were a nuisance (by the way at the same time back then 20 years ago in Venice we noticed a new generation of younger Japanese taking a slow path of sitting and taking single shots of cats in the sun with Leicas). But today it seems that capturing images with phones became so commonplace that it almost makes you want to stop taking photos - just to be different. And as snapping becomes easier, photography becomes harder during such events as Carnival in Venice.
Best
Jarek
Posted 14/08/2017 - 18:45 Link
1stEverPentax wrote:
Really good Jarek, your wife obviously had an eye for a great composition.

regards

Karlo

She does not take photographs on daily basis, I handed her the Pentax just for the Carnival, and explained the basics of operation. She is a natural.
Best
Jarek
smile_j
Posted 13/10/2017 - 12:06 Link
Great pictures! Your work is really inspiring. I would love to go and see the Carnival with my own eyes!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.