Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Photographing Mushrooms & Toadstools

GeoffMoore
Posted 15/10/2019 - 09:34 Link
The autumn months are drawing in along with the dark nights and short days so what better opportunity then to visit my local woodland for a spot of macro photography to photograph the mushrooms and toadstools that are popping out from the woodland floor.

The recent wet, dreary and mild weather here in the UK has provided perfect growing conditions for the woodland mushrooms, toadstools and fungi especially in my local woodland where several old trees have fallen, and broken branches of old dead and decaying wood litter the woodland floor.

Comment Image

Wandering around your local woodland can reveal a host of secrets and little scenes in miniature to photograph, however it takes a while for you photographers eye to focus in on the mushrooms and toadstools that make their homes in the wet nooks and crannies of the the dead wood.

Allowing your eye adjust to the challenge is the key thing to remember and having a dedicated macro lens really helps bring the miniature subjects to life once you have found them within the chaos of the woodland environment.

So why not join me on this little amble into the woods as I try to find some interesting Macro photography compositions, armed with my trusty Pentax K1 and 100mm f/2.8 Pentax Macro Lens. Where I make the Mushrooms and Toadstools the focus of the compositions and introduce you to some little creepy crawly friends I made along the way. Watch the making of the above image in my little video below....

Woodland Macro Photography | Photographing Mushrooms & Toadstools | Geoff Moore Photography

I would love to hear your thoughts on my little adventure and the images produced, so why not leave a comment, like and subscribe

Comments, suggestions always welcome.
Lubbyman
Posted 15/10/2019 - 10:11 - Helpful Comment Link
Lovely picture. Not just a picture of a toadstool, rather it's a window into another world. And you're absolutely right about having to spend a while to get into that toadstool world. It isn't 'grab the moment' photography - except when a bug crawls into the scene, of course.

Your video is very good - wouldn't be out of place on Countryfile or Autumnwatch. And timely, too. I'm about to try to get a few folks together to photograph fungi in a local wood and will point them to your video as showing how it should be done!

Pity your video showed how useful an LED light can be on the woodland floor. And that articulating screen... Resisting the temptation to acquire more gadgets just got more difficult...

Steve
GeoffMoore
Posted 15/10/2019 - 10:25 Link
Lubbyman wrote:

...... I'm about to try to get a few folks together to photograph fungi in a local wood and will point them to your video as showing how it should be done!

Thank you Steve, that is very kind of you.

Lubbyman wrote:

...... Pity your video showed how useful an LED light can be on the woodland floor. And that articulating screen... Resisting the temptation to acquire more gadgets just got more difficult...

Oh, my bad, I'm sorry - Thankfully the LED light is relatively cheap, I think it was around 310 from Amazon. And it worked wonders.. I'm planning a night shoot so it wll get more usage then too!
GeoffMoore
Posted 15/10/2019 - 12:42 Link
Errrr -Correction- £10 from Amazon
Lubbyman
Posted 15/10/2019 - 13:41 - Helpful Comment Link
GeoffMoore wrote:

Thanks for that. I was beginning to think that your idea of cheap wasn't the same as mine!

Steve
GeoffMoore
Posted 15/10/2019 - 15:09 Link
Lubbyman wrote:
GeoffMoore wrote:

Thanks for that. I was beginning to think that your idea of cheap wasn't the same as mine!

Steve

Ha, im particularly cheap an upcoming video im hoping to demonstrate DIY Pin Hole on a DSLR, which I know its a bit marmite, but my mind has been blown away on how you can capture images without an optic! in front of the sensor.
Chrism8
Posted 15/10/2019 - 15:33 Link
I tend to prefer natural light, I use a mini tripod plus a cable release.

645z - 120mm Macro lens with a 50mm Ext Tube - 100 ISO - 2 sec exposure @ F6.3

Comment Image
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
GeoffMoore
Posted 15/10/2019 - 15:39 Link
Very nice Chris. I think i'm going to swot up a little, on the fungi we have in this country we have such a variety it would be good to be able to identify them when out and about.
Chrism8
Posted 15/10/2019 - 15:43 Link
There's a park nr Slough, which I use this time of year that according to the information boards has 42 different species of fungi that can be found there.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
GeoffMoore
Posted 15/10/2019 - 15:47 Link
42! thats crazy. Googles .... oh my, 15,000 species in the UK alone lol
Lubbyman
Posted 15/10/2019 - 16:10 - Helpful Comment Link
Geoff, Chris - Interesting to compare your shots. One soft, dreamy and a mini-lanscape in a miniature land, the other crisp, detailed and a fine portrait of that particular fungus (whatever type it is!). No right or wrong here, just two different ways of seeing and photographing the same sort of thing. And a challenge to those of us who have yet to photograph a fungus this year!

GeoffMoore wrote:
it would be good to be able to identify them when out and about.

Good luck - I got a book for the same reason and they hardly ever look like the pictures in the book. And a surprising number can only be identified with certainty by close examination of bits that can only be easily seen by 'uprooting' the fungus. Needless to say, I gave up trying to identify them in the field and went back to just enjoying taking photographs...

Steve
GeoffMoore
Posted 15/10/2019 - 16:27 Link
Ha thanks Steve. I don't think i'd want encyclopedic knowledge, but being able to identify the most common ones could be useful
Edited by GeoffMoore: 15/10/2019 - 16:28
davidwozhere
Posted 15/10/2019 - 19:13 - Helpful Comment Link
I can't agree more about getting into the woods at the moment. They are popping up all over but you do need to get your eye in - and you will likely miss any number of them. This one is a conch fungus that has no stem and grows inverted beneath dead twigs.
Comment Image

An excellent "what is it?" text book is "Fascinated by Fungi" by Pat O'Reilly (2016) First Nature, ISBN13: 978-0-9560544-9-4

As you can see, I tend towards sharp images. I'd love to get some softer, dreamy ones like Geoff's opening shot but it rarely works for me. Nice job Geoff.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Edited by davidwozhere: 15/10/2019 - 19:16
GeoffMoore
Posted 16/10/2019 - 09:07 Link
Thanks for the heads up @David - I got a some free time booked in this weekend coming so I may have a return visit to the woods lined up. Was a great way to spend a few hours.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.