Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Photo Opportunities in the Arundel area

stevejcoe
Posted 11/05/2014 - 12:06 Link
My wife and I will be vacationing in the South East of the country for the first time, for 6 days over the Bank holiday period. We will be based just outside of Arundel.

Can anyone recommend places to visit with good photo opportunities? We have never been to the area before, so I don't mind clichéd subjects. I should also mention that we are National Trust members, which will no doubt come in useful if the weather is unkind.

Regards - Steve
matwhittington
Posted 11/05/2014 - 12:10 Link
Well there's obviously the castle, although whenever I go to Arundel it's generally to the WWT wetlands centre which is there; a delightful place, and if you're patient you may well see a Kingfisher

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link
miles500
Posted 11/05/2014 - 12:23 Link
Arundel itself is fairly photogenic as it is a delightful old town on a hill. I have never been into the castle which is very pricey to enter and i suspect that no photos are allowed, but there is a spectacular view of it, the cathedral and the town from the south. You would need to park in the town ( not easy!) and walk beyond the ring road and up the hill as there is nowhere to park. The cathedral is very well worth visiting and of course you have the wetlife centre - turn left at the bridge heading out of town, which should keep you occupied for the best part of a day. Further afield Littlehampton is worth a visit and there are photo opportunities around the rive, the fujnfair and along the promenade. The villages to the north along the Arun valley between there and Pulborough are also worth a look- you have to turn off the main road - and there are also birding opportunities there.
You can not go to far wrong with NT properties, Uppark and Petworth House are in easy reach and both are well worth he visit. Petworth has a delightful deer park and a wonderful art collection. Slightly further is Sheffield Park and Nymans - both famed for their gardens which should be at their best with azaleas and rhodies. The Sussex coutryside is at its best at the Devil's Dyke - you should have no problem at all in filling your time!
Miles
johnriley
Posted 11/05/2014 - 12:42 Link
The Arundel WWT centre is an excellent choice for a visit, if you have an interest in birds and wildlife of course.
Best regards, John
Chrism8
Posted 11/05/2014 - 15:03 Link
Anywhere around the Goodwood estate is also good as well as Brighton about an hour away,

The road from Arundel town towards Swanbourne lake and on to the WWT with the stream on your left is v good for Water Voles and the lake is good and better if u take the climbs up the hills.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
stevejcoe
Posted 11/05/2014 - 15:08 Link
Many thanks for the information guys. We are really looking forward to exploring a part of the country that is more or less unknown to us.
JohnX
Posted 11/05/2014 - 15:56 Link
Chichester (town) and Bosham harbour are worth a look.

Roman villa at Fishbourne.

Submarine museum at Gosport.

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard (HMS Victory, Mary Rose, etc)

West Wittering is very scenic, with views across the Solent - NT.

Arundel is also in the western end of the South Downs National Park and beginning/end of the South Downs Way.
Edited by JohnX: 11/05/2014 - 16:07
Stephen Hampshire
Posted 11/05/2014 - 23:25 Link
Petworth House (National Trust) and Petworth itself aren't far and worth a visit, also Parham House and Amberley Working museum. Brighton (expecially the Pier, don't know if they still have Bank Holiday fights between Mods and Rockers) Wield and Downland Open Air Museum, Denmans Garden (small but perfectly formed) Uppark (also NT, a bit further afield but stunning)
Everything changes!
stevejcoe
Posted 12/05/2014 - 08:00 Link
Thanks once again guys. You have given me lots to think about.

Regards - Steve
Smeggypants
Posted 12/05/2014 - 11:31 Link
My best results have always come from not planning but just using my gut feeling while wandering around with the camera in hand.

EVERYWHERE is a potential good photo opportunity.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.