Pentax went out of business years ago

Russ

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 13:30
Last weekend i attended a one day workshop run by wonderful Mike Browne. It was a fab taking photos around Mudeford on the South Coast. Mike was very helpful and comes across just as well in person as he does in all his Youtube videos.

Anyway of the 10 folk on the workshop it will probably be of no surprise to learn i was the only Pentax user. In fact that's almost a given. What was more of a surprise was the reaction of the other guys. One remarked "i thought Pentax went out of business in the 90's". Another remarked he thought Pentax were a popular 1970's brand that disappeared in the 80's. While all the remaining guys thought Pentax were a compact camera brand knocking out cheap compacts that no one wants.
I quizzed them. Surely they had heard of the K5 and the new K3. Or the K30. Nope. I think people are so focused on Nikon and Canon they skim over all the adverts for the other brands. Dismiss them without a second thought. Of course they could have just been winding me up.
I wasn't alone mind. Someone else was using a Panasonic G2 and the others were taken back she had brought a toy camera along to a photography workshop. So its not just Ricoh/Pentax that has a marketing problem.
Not sure he sells the most these days but Nikon users outnumbered Canon 3:1 on the day.
Last Edited by Russ on 08/05/2014 - 13:34

johnriley

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 13:58
I think they were winding you up, surely nobody can be that unobservant and be a photographer at the same time!
Best regards, John

Roscoe

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 14:08
I make you right John.
Pro photographers have all heard of of Pentax, but there are more of the out there using Canon cameras, because of the greater focal length of the Canon lenses.(Anyway that's my theory).

Kindest regards.

Peter.

wvbarnes

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 14:22
Yashica springs to mind as a once fine brand now just a name on cheap compacts abroad. I loved my Electro 35 late Seventies. I think several names were bought up for this 'quality branding' on junk purpose. Lucky Pentax wasn't one of them although some of their past compacts have seemed poor compared to the excellent DSLRS.

As to brand recognition now, I get the same reaction to my being a volunteer designer/fund raiser for Radio Caroline

fritzthedog

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 14:24
Have to say there is small part of me that perversely enjoys this sort of reaction from the herd, I just smile at them in my best condescending manner

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Russ

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 14:33
I'm sure they were winding me up, i hope they were.

Was amazed to see that all the cameras (except mine and the Panny) were full frame.

michaelblue

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 14:49
Just shows how easily people are manipulated by the marketing boys and girls
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

dougf8

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 15:05
wvbarnes wrote:
Yashica springs to mind as a once fine brand now just a name on cheap compacts abroad. I loved my Electro 35 late Seventies. I think several names were bought up for this 'quality branding' on junk purpose. Lucky Pentax wasn't one of them although some of their past compacts have seemed poor compared to the excellent DSLRS.

As to brand recognition now, I get the same reaction to my being a volunteer designer/fund raiser for Radio Caroline

Cheapest way to own a zeiss 35mm T* lens is on the front of a yashica, I've got 2 and I think Terry Richardson still uses them.
Lurking is shirking.!

LennyBloke

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 15:15
dougf8 wrote:

Cheapest way to own a zeiss 35mm T* lens is on the front of a yashica, I've got 2 and I think Terry Richardson still uses them.

Back in the early 80's (I think) the Yashica FX D quartz was one of the biggest sellers for a while - several astute purchasers bought the body with the Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.7 T* Planar - that really was the yardstick to measure against in those days
LennyBloke

Darkmunk

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 15:46

My first SLR 1983 (Dad's Yashica from the 70s) Pentax from then on.

Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer
Last Edited by Darkmunk on 08/05/2014 - 15:47

stub

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 16:20
Quote:
Was amazed to see that all the cameras (except mine and the Panny) were full frame.

Why....?I would have thought it ideal for landscapes..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

xbow

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 17:03
Were you at Mudeford Quay or Avon Beach? Got any pics you'd like to share Russ!
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

Mike-P

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 17:31
We recently bought one of the new beach huts they have just built at Mudeford Quay.

New Beach Huts Mudeford by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

redbusa99

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 18:35
Mudeford ,went there year after year on holiday. the only time i have seen a red squirrel was there but that was about 60yrs ago.
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

xbow

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 18:53
Nice shot Mike!
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.