Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Photo Director 6 and five - whats the diffrennce please?

AuraTodd
Posted 05/04/2015 - 11:01 Link
I have bought Photo Director 5 at the photography show, I haven't opened the box yet but I've now discovered that the software has been superseded by Photo Director 6. Can anyone tell me if there is much difference between them please?

If there is, I'll buy the newer version and sell the unboxed old one.

Many thanks.
George Lazarette
Posted 05/04/2015 - 11:08 - Helpful Comment Link
Once you have used No 5, and know what it does, you can download the trial of No.6 and see whether the changes are worth having.

Quite probably, they are not.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
punkrockemo
Posted 05/04/2015 - 13:55 - Helpful Comment Link
On their website they have a comparisson - shows you what features they have added.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/photodirector-ultra/compare-phd5_en_GB.html
AuraTodd
Posted 06/04/2015 - 10:11 Link
Version five doesn't have the Radial Filter. What does that do please?
Aero
Posted 06/04/2015 - 12:05 Link
AuraTodd wrote:
Version five doesn't have the Radial Filter. What does that do please?

This video explains all: link. In PhotoPlus, which I use, you can achieve the same thing by simply making a "selection", which limits any changes you make to that area, or to the surrounding area if you "invert" the selection. I'm sure PhotoDirector 5 has a similar capability without the radial filter, although this new feature may make it quicker/easier to select an area for special treatment.
Posted 08/04/2015 - 08:31 Link
This software was free in Practical Photography this month
Ruth
AuraTodd
Posted 08/04/2015 - 10:26 Link
MrsWilliams wrote:
This software was free in Practical Photography this month

I didn't know that, can you do panoramic photo stitching in Version five please?
Posted 08/04/2015 - 21:56 Link
Don't know sorry, I just saw it was free to download as they want you to hopefully then purchase an upgrade to v6 but I already have software.
Ruth
punkrockemo
Posted 08/04/2015 - 23:22 - Helpful Comment Link
Looking at the specs, it does not look like it does do panoramic stitching.

You can download Microsofts Image Composite Editor which does panoramas for free, it is said to be pretty good to.

link
andy_bell
Posted 09/04/2015 - 08:23 - Helpful Comment Link
V6 does indeed do Panoramic stitching, If I was you Laura I'd either install V5 and upgrade, or just register V5 and then buy the upgrade, or just get V6 and sell V5.

either way it is a very capable package, and it was quite a bit cheaper than Photoshop, it does everything I have needed to (so far)

Andy
A few bits & Bobs
AuraTodd
Posted 09/04/2015 - 09:20 Link
Hi I might bite the bullet and get V 6 and sell five. If I upgraded from five after installing, how much would that cost?
andy_bell
Posted 09/04/2015 - 10:14 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi Louise, think that's right?

Currently Ver 6 is £26.99 for an upgrade,
The nice thing is that it wont wipe out V5 but installs alongside it so you can use both if you wish....

I have both on my laptop, and they natively open the Pentax Raw files without any add in converters...

Andy
A few bits & Bobs
AuraTodd
Posted 11/04/2015 - 09:46 Link
I have checked my bank balance and I think I will have to install five anyway, can you still get pre-sets and stuff downloaded to five?

If so then I will use version five for a while until I get used to it then proceed to version six. Only problem is that if I upgrade the pricing might come up in American dollars which I don't understand.

How can I make the price show in Stirling please?
McGregNi
Posted 11/04/2015 - 14:01 Link
The Stirling number will be a bit less than the dollar number. You don't need to worry if paying with a card because the card company will work out the Stirling price for you, and just charge you that.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
AuraTodd
Posted 11/04/2015 - 14:23 Link
Final question, have been using Fast stone and Picassa, is this programme better then these two, and can I still get pre-sets and download things for version 5?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.