Photo Critique

japers45
Posted 16/07/2011 - 15:32 Link
I think that the original poster does make a fairly accurate observation.

However I think there are a lot of posters on here who keep things quite light hearted and dont want to get too serious (perhaps they regard the site as entertaining and fun!). These people may leave comments that may be a little generic but that is their right.

You can't filter the comments that are posted but you could ignore the gushing ones could't you ?(although whose to say some of these aren't genuine and the ones that aren't are surely just offering a base level of encouragement?)

I post some of my images on the "Your Photos" section and the feedback usually confirms something I already suspected was in need of attention or even better makes me question something I had not spotted myself. In this respect it is very useful although not comprehensive.

If you want proper constructive criticism put your images in "my photos" and ask for it- you might be surprised.


If you feel that others are giving you reciprocal negative criticism then ignore it. I cant say I have ever had this problem though.

Alternatively you could try and contact Andrew Graham-Dixon and see if he'll do a retrospective on you work so far for the next series of The Culture Show
Don
Posted 16/07/2011 - 16:01 Link
dougf8 wrote:
Don wrote:


When I was little, I used to run. I was fast. I was the fasted kid I knew. All the way up until I got to highschool, then there were a couple seniors that were faster than me, so I tried harder. By the time I was a senior, I was the fastest kid again, until I tired out for the Jeux Canada Games. So I tried harder. Then they wouldn't let me run because my grades were poor. Life ain't fair. But we only get better when we challenge ourselves and measure our successes against those that are simply better at it than we are... in all things.
You lost me after the word little .... are you spouting some patronising tosh or are you saying something?
well if I lost you with english is there another language you'd prefer I tried?
seriously, life ain't fair, some people need to get over it.
at least here in the forum, some people may criticize for poor spelling, but at least it isn't as so bad as BANNING people for poor spelling... and a few people might even learn a little spelling to go with all the free photography advice... no harm there either...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 16/07/2011 - 16:02
Pentaxophile
Posted 16/07/2011 - 16:28 Link
Don wrote:
Life ain't fair. But we only get better when we challenge ourselves and measure our successes against those that are simply better at it than we are... in all things.
Well Don, in that case we should be very grateful we've got you on the forum then, eh?
Don
Posted 16/07/2011 - 16:31 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Don wrote:
Life ain't fair. But we only get better when we challenge ourselves and measure our successes against those that are simply better at it than we are... in all things.
Well Don, in that case we should be very grateful we've got you on the forum then, eh?
I wouldn't waste my time here if I didn't think there was a thing or two to be learned from the others...lol!


tell you a secret.... I have never, ever met a person that didn't have something to teach me.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 16/07/2011 - 16:36
geclinke
Posted 16/07/2011 - 16:48 Link
There's only one thing worse than perceived banal comments.... no comments....
k5, 50mm FA, 18-55mm Kit, 50-200mm DA, 15mm Fisheye Sigma, 10-17mm DA Fisheye, 18-55mm DA WR, DA* 60-250, DA* 16-50
japers45
Posted 16/07/2011 - 17:06 Link
geclinke wrote:
There's only one thing worse than perceived banal comments.... no comments....
I think that really depends on how insecure you are. If I post a pic and nobody comments I couldn't give a rats bottom because having no comments tells me nothing. I wouldnt perceive this as -there are no comments so my photos are crap.

If someone does comment then I read it and hopefully it helps me.

I think to a degree it helps if you are a longer standing member and be active on the forum. If other members "know" you they are more likely to take an interest (rather like the "real" world)
Don
Posted 16/07/2011 - 17:14 Link
japers45 wrote:
geclinke wrote:
There's only one thing worse than perceived banal comments.... no comments....
I think that really depends on how insecure you are. If I post a pic and nobody comments I couldn't give a rats bottom because having no comments tells me nothing. I wouldnt perceive this as -there are no comments so my photos are crap.

If someone does comment then I read it and hopefully it helps me.

I think to a degree it helps if you are a longer standing member and be active on the forum. If other members "know" you they are more likely to take an interest (rather like the "real" world)
that is a valid point. I often post something "Experimental" and even if I agree or disagree with any comments, just looking at the number of reads on the thread, and reading any feedback, gives me some idea of whether the experiment is good or not. I seldom post my best photo's. I don't need to hear a bunch of praise about something I know is good, so why bother? I'll post something when it illustrates a point or for fun, but seldom if ever just for a pat on the head...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
johnriley
Posted 16/07/2011 - 17:25 Link
The thing is, we don't criticise the person, we appraise the image.

If I'm judging a competition, the first thing is that there's a lot to enjoy and celebrate in the efforts people put into their images. Finding the good things is a good place to start as it identifies the strengths that can be worked on and developed.

Then we can find ways that the less good points can be improved. In this way, we can be helpful, encouraging and avoid being insulting.

There's nothing worse than shattering a beginner's confidence by trashing their work. The thing to do is encourage their skills and help them improve.

Doing an appraisal isn't easy for everyone, but we can all pass an opinion that may well be helful to the photographer.
Best regards, John
Pentaxophile
Posted 16/07/2011 - 17:32 Link
Don, maybe you should post some of your best work more often - seeing very successful shots is sonmetimes even more instructive - inspiring - than having your own work deconstructed in my opinion. You may not need to hear the praise, but that's not what it's about - people will benefit in a 'soft' way from viewing the work and the comments, and discussion of how it was taken.

Also, you may view the work as 'your best stuff' but what if you are overlooking something? Could a comment not come from a fresh angle and help you reassess the way you are doing things?

And, of course, there's nothing wrong with sharing your successes with your forum buddies. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
Edited by Pentaxophile: 16/07/2011 - 17:35
Don
Posted 16/07/2011 - 17:43 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Don maybe you should post some of your best work more often - seeing very successful shots is more instructive - inspiring - than having your own work deconstructed in my opinion. You may not need to hear the praise, but that's not what it's about - people will benefit in a 'soft' way from viewing the work and the comments, and discussion of how it was taken.

Also, you may view the work as 'your best stuff' but what if you are overlooking something? Could a comment not come from a fresh angle and help you reassess the way you are doing things?

And, of course, there's nothing wrong with sharing your successes with your forum buddies! It's nothing to be ashamed of.
I see mighty fine images published here every day. Some of which, I simply would not have.

there are some very good reasons not to...
eg:

Copyright infringement... Ask Gartmore what a headache that can be...

Privacy.... A client may pay for a portrait, and may be very happy with it... doesn't they'd approve of me plastering all over the net.... 50% of marriages fail, would you want pics of you and your ex popping up all over the place?

Copyright issues... sometimes you shoot stuff for publications or important people and they don't want to give up control over their image... you want to maintain YOUR copyright on the images, and ALSO their trust.... They have to know that if you say you won't re-use or mis-use or leak the images that YOU can be trusted or you'll have people demanding you assign full copyright to them or taking their money elsewhere. (the old demanding the negatives argument in the film dayz is now copyright contracts these dayz).

bottom line.. if you don't want it stolen, keep it off the net.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
dougf8
Posted 16/07/2011 - 17:45 Link
Don wrote:
dougf8 wrote:
Don wrote:


When I was little, I used to run. I was fast. I was the fasted kid I knew. All the way up until I got to highschool, then there were a couple seniors that were faster than me, so I tried harder. By the time I was a senior, I was the fastest kid again, until I tired out for the Jeux Canada Games. So I tried harder. Then they wouldn't let me run because my grades were poor. Life ain't fair. But we only get better when we challenge ourselves and measure our successes against those that are simply better at it than we are... in all things.
You lost me after the word little .... are you spouting some patronising tosh or are you saying something?
well if I lost you with english is there another language you'd prefer I tried?
seriously, life ain't fair, some people need to get over it.
at least here in the forum, some people may criticize for poor spelling, but at least it isn't as so bad as BANNING people for poor spelling... and a few people might even learn a little spelling to go with all the free photography advice... no harm there either...
Oh! You think you're using English? OK ...
Lurking is shirking.!
Pentaxophile
Posted 16/07/2011 - 17:48 Link
You don't have to post your professional work, though. You must take some nice shots of your boy, family, friends, which are in a similar vein to your commercial work? Or perhaps you hang up the camera at the end of the working day and do something entirely different for a hobby... beekeeping, or cagefighting perhaps?

Quote:
would you want pics of you and your ex popping up all over the place?
With Facebook etc, I think that particular ship has sailed!
Edited by Pentaxophile: 16/07/2011 - 17:52
Don
Posted 16/07/2011 - 17:53 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
You don't have to post your professional work, though. You must take some nice shots of your boy, family, friends, which are in a similar vein to your commercial work? Or perhaps you hang up the camera at the end of the working day and do something entirely different for a hobby... beekeeping, or cagefighting perhaps?
My family snapshots are probably no better than yours... who in or out of thier right mind breaks out the studio strobes to grab a snapshot of thier kid goofing off at the dinner table?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Don
Posted 16/07/2011 - 17:58 Link
look, this is how you get paying work:
somebody who knows somebody you've worked for calls you up and says "Hey I saw XXX shots you did for XXX (person, magazine, organization) and really liked it. I need/want...... How Much?"

then you say "I have a portfolio of similar subjects and shots.... let's look at those have some coffee/conference and discuss budget later".

Nothing else you do will translate into as many paying jobs. Period.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Pentaxophile
Posted 16/07/2011 - 18:04 Link
There's no need to throw up this great distinction between pro and personal work. Although I imagine plenty of photographers give their families the full 'pro' treatment!

Fortunately I expect nothing I do in photography to translate into paying work. 'Just as well' I hear you say!

Don wrote:
look, this is how you get paying work:
somebody who knows somebody you've worked for calls you up and says "Hey I saw XXX shots you did for XXX (person, magazine, organization) and really liked it. I need/want...... How Much?"

then you say "I have a portfolio of similar subjects and shots.... let's look at those have some coffee/conference and discuss budget later".

Nothing else you do will translate into as many paying jobs. Period.
I don't understand how this has any bearing on this discussion!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo