Pet Portrait Critique
Posted 17/02/2008 - 17:08
Link
There I was expecting Merlin!
Nice photo but the background is way too distracting. Otherwise a good photo of a difficult subject. Black dogs are hard to get right.
Edit:
Are you keeping the K10D now Pete?
Nice photo but the background is way too distracting. Otherwise a good photo of a difficult subject. Black dogs are hard to get right.
Edit:
Are you keeping the K10D now Pete?
Posted 17/02/2008 - 17:13
Link
Hi Gywn
Firstly Merlin passed away a few months back and it has really broken my heart I had him 12 wonderful years. Having no children he has been a huge huge loss but I have some wonderful images and memories.
Yes I agree the background is a bit distracting. I might use blur methods in PS
Yes I am still looking for a buyer of the K10D and extras but will miss it a lot
Pete
Firstly Merlin passed away a few months back and it has really broken my heart I had him 12 wonderful years. Having no children he has been a huge huge loss but I have some wonderful images and memories.
Yes I agree the background is a bit distracting. I might use blur methods in PS
Yes I am still looking for a buyer of the K10D and extras but will miss it a lot
Pete
Wedding & Portrait photographer
Posted 17/02/2008 - 17:16
Link
Quote:
Pete, we have a "Your Photo's" section now.
Sorry PeterPete, we have a "Your Photo's" section now.
Didnt notice it
Wedding & Portrait photographer
Posted 17/02/2008 - 17:32
Link
I agree with Gwyn about the background but it's still a very nice picture.
Vic.
Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Posted 17/02/2008 - 17:32
Link
Quote:
Didnt notice it
No worries. Sorry to hear about Merlin. It's devastating, I know. I had my dogs Gina and Lucy for 10 and 14 years respectively, and still miss them a lot. We are now petless for the moment since my wife's cat TJ died last year at 14 years old. At least he had a year in the sun in Spain.Mannesty wrote:
Pete, we have a "Your Photo's" section now.
Sorry PeterPete, we have a "Your Photo's" section now.
Didnt notice it
All I can say is the passage of time makes it a little easier.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 17/02/2008 - 17:49
Link
Hi Pete,
A lovely photo, well exposed. I like the expression of the dogs face, full of character.
A lovely photo, well exposed. I like the expression of the dogs face, full of character.
K-5, 2 K10D's, 16-45mm SMC DA,35mm DA Macro Limited, SMC 18-55mm WR, Sigma 135-400mm, 43mm SMC FA f1.9 Limited, 15mm SMC Limited, AF540FGZ, D-BG2
Posted 17/02/2008 - 17:52
Link
Pete I am sorry to hear about Merlin. I know what it is to lose a much loved dog.
Posted 17/02/2008 - 17:59
Link
Anyone have some ideas what I can do to the background without it looking to obvious or unnatural
Cheers
Cheers
Wedding & Portrait photographer
Posted 17/02/2008 - 18:51
Link
Crop the left hand side, nearly up to the tail. Clone out what will be the small remaining bit of the ornament by the fence.
Try slightly lightening the fence (if that's possible without changing the shade of the dog) by adjusting RGB, etc.
Finally, slice a tiny weeny bit off the top.
Looks like a nice photo already - so I agree best not to do anything that makes it look unnatural.
Try slightly lightening the fence (if that's possible without changing the shade of the dog) by adjusting RGB, etc.
Finally, slice a tiny weeny bit off the top.
Looks like a nice photo already - so I agree best not to do anything that makes it look unnatural.
~Pete
Posted 17/02/2008 - 19:53
Link
Iceblinker - this dog is not Merlin. Merlin was a lovely Border collie.
Pete,
I would crop a bit as Iceblinker suggests, then maybe lighten the fence a bit - you could try burning it, and then try a gaussian blur over it.
Pete,
I would crop a bit as Iceblinker suggests, then maybe lighten the fence a bit - you could try burning it, and then try a gaussian blur over it.
Posted 17/02/2008 - 21:01
Link
You weren't to know!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


740 posts
19 years
West Mids UK
Took this the weekend and did a B&W conversion. Its not meant to be anything special lighting wise etc..
It was took with the samsung 50-200 early morning in the shade at ISO 400 1/25 f4.5