PENTAX Watford in store day.

PENTAXMike

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 13:11
Just a quick note to say thank you to all of you who turned up on a less than beautiful Saturday in Watford. Lindsey and I had a great time chatting with you and really enjoyed showcasing our new products.

I noticed that some of you really liked the new Pentax straps, so those who did can ask your local independant photographic retailer to order them. They are called the "Pentax Sport Optics Strap", and the article number is 50171.

Best regards and thanks once again for your continued support.

Michael.
Pentax UK.

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 14:21
Hi Mike,

Didn't get to speak to you on the day, but thanks for bringing along some of the intersting stuff, especially the 300mm f/4.

A couple of things spring to mind, and I mentioned one of them to Lindsey. Pentax UK really need to do more to push the brand, especially on the pentax.co.uk website. It took an age for any sign of the K20D to appear, I think they were already available by the time they did. This sort of information should be there at least a month in advance, going hand in hand with printed adverts and press releases (talking of which, have a look in the 'Press Lounge' area of the site - can you spot anything about the K20D or K200D?).

And there's no mention now of the new lenses (200mm and 300mm) in the lenses section.

Okay, we can go to Pentax US or Japan to see these, but for the average casual browser, perhaps having seen the adverts in magazines that have the UK web address on them, it doesn't look good.

If you need some sample shots from the 300mm, just send one to me (address is on my website, link below ) and I'll do my best.

All the best,
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 14:30
Ooh, I knew I forgot something...

What's all this 'Pentax Pro Centre' stuff about anyway? Is it simply somewhere that stocks Pentax equipment?

I thought it would be somewhere (like SRS) that provides a large range of items, holds good levels of stock, has knowledge or receives training about the Pentax range etc.

Specifically, as an example, I'll mention Cameraworld in Chelmsford, Essex. A couple of weeks ago I went in and they had no Pentax stock on display, but had one 16-45 and one 18-55 under the counter. I mentioned that they were supposed to be a 'Pro Dealer' and they said "yes, apparently so, someone rang about a lens this morning and told us". They had no idea, no stock, and little interest. If this is a 'pro' dealer, god help us all. Frankly, Jessops would have more in stock than them (but PLEASE don't get the idea I'm suggesting them as a pro dealer. ).

I suggested to Chris at SRS that he change the 'Pro' to 'Proper'.

I guess what I mean is, the 'Pentax Pro Dealer' title should be earned, not given out willy-nilly. Then it will actually mean something.

Dan

PENTAXMike

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 14:48
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding the website, yes you are absolutly correct and the issues experienced in getting new content up have been addressed in terms of the processes, procedures and timescales. This shouldn't happen in the future but as a matter of course I will pass your feedback on. Likewise, I will pass on the issue with the Press Lounge.

The Pro Centre Scheme is aimed at providing a select group of dealers training, bespoke advertising, preferential service (express service), early stock of new product and firmware releases, an extra year warrantee when a DSLR is purchased through a Pro Centre and as you state, a good quantity of stock holding. Also, the dealer is obliged to let you handle an SLR as they have demo product available.

In the case of Cameraworld, there has been a little mix up in the admin and it is actually the London branch of Cameraworld that is a Pro Centre. This has now been rectified.

Thank you for the offer of some sample shots with the 300mm, I may take you up on it since I have to send the lens back to Germany .

Regards,

Michael.

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 15:03
PENTAXMike wrote:
Thank you for the offer of some sample shots with the 300mm, I may take you up on it since I have to send the lens back to Germany .

As I say, address is on my website. Any further info on when this lens is going to be available? I think it's May time, but I'm sure I saw March somewhere, but didn't believe it.

Thanks for the info about Cameraworld. It's a shame that such a high population centre (mid essex) has no local pro dealer. Nearest is Digital Depot or Photo Optix at Lakeside (yuck - to Lakeside, not Photo Optix). Unfortunately Jessops swamped all the independents, and then started doing mobile phones...

Dan

JohnMcD

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 15:56
Daniel Bridge wrote:
PENTAXMike wrote:

As I say, address is on my website. Any further info on when this lens is going to be available? I think it's May time, but I'm sure I saw March somewhere, but didn't believe it.

Thanks for the info about Cameraworld. It's a shame that such a high population centre (mid essex) has no local pro dealer. Nearest is Digital Depot or Photo Optix at Lakeside (yuck - to Lakeside, not Photo Optix). Unfortunately Jessops swamped all the independents, and then started doing mobile phones...

Dan

It's a real shame for me as I actually live in Chelmsford and thought it was going to be the "Pro Center" too. Well at least I know now. I expect that explains why they asked me if Pentax actually made a 1.2 X eyepiece magnifier when I asked for one on Saturday and they couldn't find it in their catalog. Don't even attempt to ask for a Pentax cleaning kit.

Lakeside NO WAY MAN which is a shame as I would like to go to Ikea at least once every 5 years but the thought of going to Lakeside puts me off.

browngo1

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 16:08
Any chance of some pictures of the new sports straps, for us that didn't get to see them?
Gordon
---------
K10D

PENTAXMike

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 16:59
Dan, I should have spent more time reading your comment on the 300mm!!

Browngo1, sorry we don't have the product shots for the straps as yet. Basically they are black neoprene, with a grippy rubber side to grip your neck and a soft neoprene outer side. The words "PENTAX Sport Optics" are embroidered in white and the strap is 2" wide. When I can I'll put a pic up.

The 300mm f/4 lens should be available in dealers early to mid April.

Mike.

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 17:03
PENTAXMike wrote:
Dan, I should have spent more time reading your comment on the 300mm!!

PENTAXMike wrote:
The 300mm f/4 lens should be available in dealers early to mid April.

Dan

Chris@SRSWATFORD

Link Posted 12/03/2008 - 10:57
Hi all,

I would also like to express my thanks for all of your support last Saturday. It was a good, fun day and it was great to finally put faces to names.

I have ordered the straps and they should hopefully be here within a week. I will post a couple of pictures if Mike doesn't get there first!

I really appreciate the effort of everyone in coming down - it is something I am sure we will repeat again soon.

Chris

PS I have a few freebie items left - if anyone wants a mouse mat or a pen them PM me your address!
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook

Mongoose

Link Posted 12/03/2008 - 11:55
It was good to meet you too Mike, I still find it quite ammusing that after my Dad and I spent several hours playing with all that expensive gear it was my Mum who bought a camera. The T30 is great, terrible shame they discontinued it, if not only the fact that I want a 200 F2.8 would prevent me from buying one.

What's the ETA on the 200 2.8, similar to the 300 F4?
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Chris@SRSWATFORD

Link Posted 12/03/2008 - 11:57
I have just had this update from Pentax:

55-300mm Available May

35mm Macro Available April

17-70mm End May

200mm Started shipping now (be here in 3-4 days)

300mm Early April

60-250mm Provisionally end may

Chris
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook

Nimitz

Link Posted 12/03/2008 - 15:17
Hi Chris - good info.

How much do you think the 60-250 will be????
www.mieritz.net

Chris@SRSWATFORD

Link Posted 12/03/2008 - 16:32
Quote:
How much do you think the 60-250 will be????

I'm not sure yet - as soon as I know I will post the info here.

Chris

Follow us on Facebook

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 13/03/2008 - 18:10
Mike, take note!

http://nedbunnell.blogspot.com/2008/03/2008-pentaxian-award.html

Dan
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.