Pentax User Website

geordie01

Link Posted 04/10/2012 - 09:00
Smeggypants wrote:
greynolds999 wrote:
Nope, but it might be that one of the adverts contains malware. Or that it contains java or something else which is outside your browser security settings.

Good point. I use adblock on Firefox as I don't like brain rot on the internet. get enough of that on TV and on billboards.

I was amazed how many ads are on this site when I just opened it up in IE

Did not know about adblock
got it now and what an improvement

Algernon

Link Posted 04/10/2012 - 09:17
It's just being polite.... they usually just run
java script without asking.... I use Noscript on
Firefox and keep getting told off by spyware that
I have disabled Java and I shouldn't have

Note Adblock won't stop any sites running
nasty Java scripts. Only allow trusted sites
to run it

Edit:

Ha! Ha! Just tried the Norton site that Richard gave
a link to and I get:

"The web browser you are using does not have JavaScript enabled. In order to use this Web site, you must enable JavaScript in your browser."

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 04/10/2012 - 09:24

JohnX

Link Posted 04/10/2012 - 09:25
Fine for me on IE9. Did have problem a few days ago though.

rhousham

Link Posted 04/10/2012 - 13:02
Hi well thanks for all your help, seem like the problem has passed.
If you need more help please let me know.

By the way if you are using adblocking and javascript turned off etc and have problems then I would suggest turning off the plugins and see if that helps.

Regards
Richard

droopsnoot

Link Posted 30/10/2012 - 10:10
Mine keeps locking IE dead, the only way out is by using Task Manager and hitting "End Process" many many times. It's an XP machine with IE8. Seems lock when trying to download from a location that starts with this:

ds.serving-sys.com/BurstingRes/Site-1975/Type-11

It's a javascript thing (ends in .js) but I didn't copy the whole thing as it's in the status bar and won't copy/paste. Don't think it's my machine as it only happens here. Annoying though.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

johnriley

Link Posted 30/10/2012 - 11:37
You could try updating Java. If that doesn't help, then there's no problem at all using Firefox.

The only problems I have experienced have been with IE.
Best regards, John

greynolds999

Link Posted 30/10/2012 - 12:05
I'm having problems of late. The problem is trying to figure out exactly which advert is causing it.

Of course if this web site complied with the law on tracking cookies we could turn off targeted advertisements!
My Photobucket

johnriley

Link Posted 30/10/2012 - 12:27
greynolds999, please make a report if you think there is something wrong of that nature.

I'm sure Pentax User makes every effort to comply with the law.
Best regards, John

droopsnoot

Link Posted 31/10/2012 - 10:02
johnriley wrote:
You could try updating Java. If that doesn't help, then there's no problem at all using Firefox.

The only problems I have experienced have been with IE.

It's not specific to the link I posted above, it just failed downloading some other unrelated advert for domestic appliances.

I take your point about IE and I'm no fan of the "evil empire", the trouble is that I've spent many years using IE and I'm used to where to find everything, Firefox and Chrome just have all this stuff in different places and it's too much of a pain to learn it all again.

I only get noticeable trouble on this site. I won't say that I never have a problem anywhere else, but if I'm going to have trouble, it will be here.

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

johnriley

Link Posted 31/10/2012 - 10:16
Best thing to do then Mike is make a Report, so IT can be aware of the specific details. Please give as much detail as possible, including times.
Best regards, John

1947lcs

Link Posted 31/10/2012 - 10:19
Quote:
I only get noticeable trouble on this site. I won't say that I never have a problem anywhere else, but if I'm going to have trouble, it will be here.

Same for me. The problem went away for a month but now its back.
IE will sometimes recover the page but not every time.

Les
K5, DAL18-55,SMC 50mm f2,DA 55-300, SCM F 35-70 and all the help I can get.

rhousham

Link Posted 31/10/2012 - 10:44
Hi we have passed on your concerns to the people who supply the adverts who will hopefully resolve the problem shortly.

I've read around and would advise the following action.
a) Clearing your browsers temporary internet files might solve the problem.

b) In general if you are on xp and using IE8 or previous then we would encourage you to change browsers to either firefox or google chrome.
The reasons for this is that ie8 is getting quite old now and ie9 and even 10 are well on there way. With it being so old it has problems with security and bugs and in general just getting out of date.

The browsers like firefox and google chrome update themselves so you will never have these problems.

If though you could post a report
https://www.pentaxuser.com/helpcentre/report/report-make

With information such as times and dates, and if any ad does appear then that would help.

With people saying that you have to end a task - I would suggest to make sure that your computer is up to date and that you are running the latest version of flash. Which if it doesn't help is always a good thing to do.

Again hope I'm helping here - but if you need more then please submit a report with as much information as you can because as John says it will help the advertising company find a fix the problem.

Thanks for your help and patience.
Regards
Richard

rhousham

Link Posted 31/10/2012 - 10:45
Just a final question to make sure of - those who have problems if in your reports could you name a few ads that appear.
Thanks in advance
Richard

droopsnoot

Link Posted 31/10/2012 - 12:28
OK, will keep it in mind, of course now it's working just fine. Link is useful though - I hunted for some kind of section for "site issues" or "forum problems" and only posted here as I saw this thread to add to.

(When I say "hunted", obviously like everyone I mean I had a quick look and couldn't immediately see anything).

AuraTodd

Link Posted 01/11/2012 - 09:53
I use Google Chrome so it's been ok
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.